How to respond to a neighbor’s request

Joylush mentioned the barn is in use, the neighbor is now seeking pasture when he already has pasture. Any chance the land is a rectangle? If so he could fence across the middle of his pasture allowing horses on one side and work on the other. Rinse and repeat. The middle fence would also allow pasture rotation later too.

If he owns livestock, he should also know his way around fencing, or at least know some fence contractors. "Months" to repair a 5 wire fence?

I read the original post but that part slipped by me without registering. I just went back and read it again. Why will it take months to fix a fence? :confused:

I have a neighbor that used to ask the same thing. Told them no because I prefer not to have others on my property and because of potential liability. They asked a couple more times and I gave them the same answer. Eventually they quit asking.

Joylush mentioned the barn is in use, the neighbor is now seeking pasture when he already has pasture. Any chance the land is a rectangle? If so he could fence across the middle of his pasture allowing horses on one side and work on the other. Rinse and repeat. The middle fence would also allow pasture rotation later too.

That’s exactly how it is fenced. It’s fenced all the way around (large rectangle). The back area contained the barn and is where we will be building soon. The front area is empty. I think he wanted the barn area but when he saw it was in use asked about the other separately fenced area.

So in his mind it’s not being used (and it’s not). We just bought it in January and will be building a large workshop on it. The whole explanation he gave doesn’t make sense to us (he has a pasture, and why can’t he just fix his own fence if that’s the issue). We just didn’t feel comfortable about it but didn’t want to rub the guy the wrong way. My husband was going to offer to help him fix his fence but when he found out he has two sons who live with him decided he didn’t want to do that either. Sometimes you just get a feeling about things....

So in his mind it’s not being used (and it’s not). We just bought it in January and will be building a large workshop on it. The whole explanation he gave doesn’t make sense to us (he has a pasture, and why can’t he just fix his own fence if that’s the issue). We just didn’t feel comfortable about it but didn’t want to rub the guy the wrong way. My husband was going to offer to help him fix his fence but when he found out he has two sons who live with him decided he didn’t want to do that either. Sometimes you just get a feeling about things....

So, because you're not currently using your land the neighbor thinks he should be allowed to use it? That's irrelevant. Are his sons old enough and physically able to help him repair the fence? It's not rocket science after all.

A bit OT but similar...I have 1.67 acres of land and a large double garage in the city. Some people think that just because I have space that I'd be happy to store their quad, trailer, or extra car tires for them. The answer is always no.

So, because you're not currently using your land the neighbor thinks he should be allowed to use it? That's irrelevant. Are his sons old enough and physically able to help him repair the fence? It's not rocket science after all.

A bit OT but similar...I have 1.67 acres of land and a large double garage in the city. Some people think that just because I have space that I'd be happy to store their quad, trailer, or extra car tires for them. The answer is always no.

I agree completely. Just trying to understand how he might be thinking. And yes, sons seem able-bodied, one is 19. The man asking isn’t all that old either, maybe 45-ish.

We just need to practice saying no. Lots of good suggestions here and nobody seemed to think we weren’t being reasonable. Sometimes it helps to get opinions.

Maybe you should offer to buy his horses for $200-300 each since he doesn't have a place to keep them.

;)

That would let him know how much you think his horses are worth and that you don't think he can afford to care for them.

Done. LOL!

One of the good things about getting older, I am better at saying no and not doing things that I don't want to do. Covid helped with that.

This seems like a pushy question to me and I don't think you owe your neighbor any further info or explanation.

Some great answers and points made by all. How does this reply sound:

Hi Neighbor, I appreciate the offer but still must decline. I understand you only need a temporary place for your horses, but we have plans for the property and are not prepared to have anyone use the pasture at this time. Thank you for understanding.

+1

I agree completely. Just trying to understand how he might be thinking. And yes, sons seem able-bodied, one is 19. The man asking isn’t all that old either, maybe 45-ish.

We just need to practice saying no. Lots of good suggestions here and nobody seemed to think we weren’t being reasonable. Sometimes it helps to get opinions.

If an abled bodied 45-year old man and his 19-year old can't fix a fence in a reasonable amount of time (it's already been a week?), just imagine how long it would take if you relieved the pressure by boarding their horses.

Back
Top Bottom