Introvert Extrovert

Hard core INTJ here. Meaning I’m pretty much maxed in the respective categories.

HR gave us the Myers-Briggs at my former employer. They chose several peoples results as examples to discuss in front of a group of several hundred. The very last one discussed was mine, which the giggly, extroverted HR types actually made fun of.

I’m happy with the way I am, and wouldn’t want me to be any other way. But I admit that I DESPISE most extroverts. Most people, for that matter.

I keep it quiet and polite, but deep down inside I wish I could push a button and exterminate most of mankind.

Yeah, I like being left alone.

I think I'd just push that button for the giggly HR types.:LOL: That behavior in front of the group sounds unprofessional.

I really hope you're kidding about the rest of mankind. Seems just a bit extreme though YMMV.

Introvert forced to play extravert's role for entire life, in order to achieve at least something.

Yep, that’s pretty much why I retired. Now I just do “my stuff” all the time, not stuff other people think I should be doing. INFJ, Fire Class of 2015. Wild horses couldn’t drag me back…

I am a bit surprised at all the members who identify as introvert. Guess we won’t be doing a meet up soon. :LOL:

There have been many threads and multiple polls over the years in the forum about this issue, and without exception they have revealed a high preponderence of introverts in the responses of those who participated in the threads and/or polls.

I am an extreme INTJ; this is my motto.

I cringe when someone is urged to introduce herself/himself in the "Hi, I am..." forum. Sorry, no can't do for me as an introvert.

I cringe when someone is urged to introduce herself/himself in the "Hi, I am..." forum. Sorry, no can't do for me as an introvert.

I suppose you gotta do you, but we have relative anonymity here on the Forum, and I don't notice many people being too shy when introducing themselves.

So (anyone) feel free to introduce yourself in the "hi, I am..." forum. You can reveal as much or as little as you are comfortable with.

Though I'm off the scale introvert, I don't mind sharing here in most situations. YMMV

It's much easier, being an introvert, to participate in online forums such as this. There's no one looking at you as you talk. And you don't have to struggle to get someone to listen to you as they babble on.

I think there is a misconception that extroverts are talkers and introverts are not. The original definition of the two is that extroverts energize by being with people and introverts energize by going alone.
So one could say that by participating and enjoying being on this forum, you’re an extrovert. Hmmmm.

It's much easier, being an introvert, to participate in online forums such as this. There's no one looking at you as you talk. And you don't have to struggle to get someone to listen to you as they babble on.

There are introverts (claimed) on this site that perpetually post on just about every thread. And it makes me wonder if they are really introverts?

Myself, being an extrovert in practice, really don't understand why so many posts, and usually not informative in content. Being an engineer, where things are always black and white to me, makes me think I don't know what is up with this psychological stuff.:confused:

Last edited:
I think there is a misconception that extroverts are talkers and introverts are not. The original definition of the two is that extroverts energize by being with people and introverts energize by going alone.
So one could say that by participating and enjoying being on this forum, you’re an extrovert. Hmmmm.

Heh, heh, but when we're done on the forum, we introverts are satisfied. The extroverts still need to find someone else to talk to.:cool:

Heh, heh, but when we're done on the forum, we introverts are satisfied. The extroverts still need to find someone else to talk to.:cool:

Being an extrovert, I would say that is not true. I can move onto other things like a hike, bike ride, etc.

Myself, being an extrovert in practice, really don't understand why so many posts, and usually not informative in content. Being an engineer, where things are always black and white to me, makes me think I don't know what is up with this psychological stuff.:confused:

Engaging with others releases happy chemicals in the brain—oxytocin, dopamine, serotonin, endorphins—so maybe they're getting their fix. I get this, but also like to discuss topics in depth, getting down to the root cause, which is impossible with many subjects because there are so many causes intertwined, plus it's difficult to get all the unbiased facts, especially with the media these days. Then people have the need to be right and have the last word, so they pick a side and things can get contentious, in friendly ways or not. I often feel introverted because I don't usually enjoy engaging in such interactions.

So many seem to be choosing introvert or extrovert as though everyone is either 100% one or the other. That doesn't seem to be the case in real life.

This is almost like the "rent vs buy" threads, in that there are no absolute answers, and the differences in behavior from individual to individual are many.

I identify as massively introverted. I have one best friend in the whole world, and one family member who I am (fairly) close to and completely trust in everything. I really enjoy all the casual day-to-day interactions with neighbors and people who I bump into during the course of a day (people in stores etc.) Very occasionally, an acquaintance will move into friend territory. More often than not though, the moment they try to get closer, I put the walls up, as I only have so much time and energy for such interactions. I frequent online forums not to make personal connections, but for specific reasons; to exchange information, to learn and to occasionally help others in the process. I tend not to ask questions in online forums, as most any question I could possibly think of has been asked a thousand times before. All I have to do in order to find the answer, is lots of reading - and how heavenly is that, I ask you? What better way to spend time than indulging yourself in large amounts of reading?

Last night, I was sitting on the sofa, with my feet up on the back of the chair, watching YouTube videos with my cat, in my tiny 285 sq ft studio, and thinking to myself, "Life doesn't get better than this. I have a roof over my head, a bed, food to eat, a fantastic cat, a great friend who I love dearly, and enough money so that I never have to go back to work if I don't want to. I am truly blessed!"

I am not a misanthrope, but I do think that people are a bit over-rated. I do like the idea of people, and I also tend to think of the best of others, giving them the benefit of the doubt. The people themselves though, are often a bit problematic :LOL:

Last edited:
INFJ here. I see patterns, connections, everywhere. People-oriented, so very sympathetic. But boy oh boy, I hate talking small talk with PEOPLE. Male INFJ makes me the rarest of creatures!

Connected: HSP. Highly Sensitive Person.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_processing_sensitivity.

I identify with HSP also.
I enjoy being on the forum, and can participate much easier because I am still sitting here, in my home, alone, no noise, no people talking, etc.
Put me in a group and I will participate much, much less.
But, I am human, so I will still socialize, just not for long periods of time and it can be draining.

I lean toward being an extrovert and have been told by work associates that I could run for mayor. I am not a shy personality and make friends easily. Others have labeled me as Father Ray, haha.

I read a definition not long ago that made sense.

Introverts energize from within.
Extroverts energize externally.

I am definitely an extrovert. Spending time with people balances me.

How about you? Does it matter? Has one way or another advanced or hindered you?

I agree. I classify myself as an introvert. Though shy, I do not mind, in fact enjoy being in social situations. But I really re-energize being by myself or in quiet. When I staffed and presented at technical conferences, I always needed some time during the day or evening to get alone and re-energize.

The only real hindrance has been people, particularly women, feeling that I am not a friendly person. Several of DW's female friends would remark to her that I was so quiet around them they could not tell if I liked or disliked them. DW (an extrovert) would tell them "if he did not like you, he would not be around you at all", which is closer to the truth :LOL:.

People someones confused "introvert" with "unobservant" or "not listening". Just because I might seem quiet and a little withdrawn does not mean I am not noticing what is going around. I recall once a a social gathering a woman (an extrovert) sitting down next to me and remarking how quiet I was, I must not be enjoying myself. I replied I was enjoying just observing was was going on, and pointed out to her a dozen things happening that she was shocked she had not noticed.

DW is an extrovert, she claims to be nervous around people, but she loves to talk and socialize. Being stuck in the house (mostly) the last few weeks with a fractured foot has her climbing the walls, she is on the phone constantly chatting with friends. She understands I cannot replace the social recharging she needs, and I appreciate that :).

So many seem to be choosing introvert or extrovert as though everyone is either 100% one or the other. That doesn't seem to be the case in real life.

Heh, heh, but it seems to be so in MY case.:cool:

I'd consider my self an introvert in "group" get togethers, because its a lot of idle chit chat. I find chit chat to be absolutely useless, and boring. Now, a sit down dinner with only one person/couple, where focus can be on a discussion, i'm all in.

Another thing that happens at larger get togethers, nobody wants to be left in the chit chat group that runs out of things to say, so, everybody is always moving around. I stopped going to these types of gatherings. Feels soooo much like high school.

My SIL sits on her couch all day, chatting or posting on the internet. But if you go to dinner with her, it's hard to get her to say more than a few words.

Back
Top Bottom