iPad

Know at least one of you has both Iphone and Ipad - what are the advantages of having both vs just running w/ the Iphone? Isn't the Ipad just bulky duplication that doesn't even have a camera?

if I convince one more person to buy an iPad, then it's official, Steve Jobs has to start paying me commissions.;)

Anyways, I have both the iPad and the iPhone. At first I thought that the iPad was just a big iPhone but I now use the 2 devices very differently. I use the iPad mostly at home and when I travel. I use the iPhone when I am just out and about. I think that the iPhone is great for quick peeks (emails, Internet, weather, etc...) while the iPad (for me at least) has truly become a productive tool, much like a laptop. There are things that are handled so much better by the iPad, like reading books, magazines and newspaper as well as anything that requires a lot of typing like posting on this forum and writing an email longer than a few sentences. Things like word processing and spreadsheets are also a lot easier to handle on the iPad.

Have a birthday coming up and was suggesting it to the gal, who is tethered to her Iphone. Did a wooden cutout and suggested it would be more fun for her and better battery life than her Iphone - she was pretty convinced it offered nothing but the opportunity to break while adding nothing to her Iphone + laptop combo. The wooden cutout was not a good fit in her purse, BTW.

You did tell her the actual iPad has more functionality than the wooden block, right? :D

The kind of calls I receive usually go like that:
FIREdreamer's house, 9:30pm. FD is chilling out watching "24", his favorite TV series... The phone rings:
Ah, I see the problem... you need an iAnswerMachine with CallerID!

I'm just glad that our kid won't be dependent on computer-geek college classmates for her laptop support.

Know at least one of you has both Iphone and Ipad - what are the advantages of having both vs just running w/ the Iphone? Isn't the iPad just bulky duplication that doesn't even have a camera?
Screen size is everything. I have an iPod Touch - basically a non-phone version of the iPhone. And the biggest issue is the small screen. It's a great MP3 player - perfect for that. But the web surfing is awkward with such a small screen, and I would never try to type an email on it or enter a post on a forum. Just too difficult using the micro touch keyboard.

I laugh when people say "but the iPad is just a bigger iPod Touch!". Yep! That's a big deal.

The iPad has more functionality than the iPod Touch too. But it is not a cellphone.

Audrey

Screen size is everything. I have an iPod Touch - basically a non-phone version of the iPhone. And the biggest issue is the small screen. It's a great MP3 player - perfect for that. But the web surfing is awkward with such a small screen, and I would never try to type an email on it or enter a post on a forum. Just too difficult using the micro touch keyboard.

Earlier this evening I needed to type something on my DH's iPhone and as usual I marvel at how much easier it is to type on it than on my Blackberry Storm.

Typing on an iPhone or iPod Touch is undoubtedly more difficult than on a full keyboard but it is actually so much better than the Blackberry Storm (which is also touchscreen)!. On the Storm to type what I typed in 1 minute on the iPhone would take several minutes. Virtually every letter I type on the Storm is an error. This, even though I know from experience to type slightly to the left of each letter (if you type square in the middle of the letter you get the letter to the right most of the time).

If I have to type a number you have to switch to the number pad (same thing on iPhone) but it automatically switches back to letters after you type each number. So typing something like a phone number takes forever.

On the iphone every letter typed perfectly the first time (albeit typing more slowing than on a regular keyboard) and when I went to numbers it stayed there until I told it to go back to letters.

So typing on an iPhone is really functional for me.

That said....I am on the waiting list at the Apple Store for a 3G iPad.

.. I would never try to type an email on it or enter a post on a forum. Just too difficult using the micro touch keyboard...

The iPad has more functionality than the iPod Touch too. But it is not a cellphone.

Audrey

If you ever see a concise post from me, it's probably coming from iPod or Kindle1. As much as I would love to spend my excess cash on a sleek new device, I can't justify yet another one that is useless in sunlight. And no way can it beat the FREE Internet connection on Kindle.

Btw, hello from iPod, I'm indoors.

If you ever see a concise post from me, it's probably coming from iPod or Kindle1. As much as I would love to spend my excess cash on a sleek new device, I can't justify yet another one that is useless in sunlight. And no way can it beat the FREE Internet connection on Kindle.

Given the photo of your reading room that you recently posted,
attachment.php

a Kindle is the only way to go. :greetings10:

Yes, for me the Kindle (k2i) has been the best choice because I don't like monthly payments, and I like having free 3G connectivity so that I can download books, etc, on the spur of the moment no matter where I am. Plus, I really just wanted a dedicated e-reader that is easy on the eyes, visible in sunlight, fits in my regular purse, is light and can be easily held in one hand for long periods of time while I read, and can go for as long as a couple of weeks before having the battery recharged.

I would love to get an iPad if I could justify it to myself. They are really beautiful with that big color touchscreen. The iPad is an amazing device that has many different functions but it doesn't fit my (admittedly stringent) criteria for an e-reader at all, and I really just can't think of what I would want one for right now. Maybe later. Gosh, they are gorgeous, though! :D So don't be surprised if I end up with one anyway, some day.

Given the photo of your reading room that you recently posted,
a Kindle is the only way to go. :greetings10:
Agree, but even so, I never leave home without the fantastic iPod, constantly looking for shade or flipping the case over it to get a glimpse at the screen. The small size is a big plus for me. Going bigger would only add weight to my already heavy bag loaded with four electronic devices that I didn't even own four years ago. Can't stop progress.:)

Agreed about the size. I can put my iphone in my pocket and carry it everywhere. I can't do that with my iPad.
We bought the wifi only version of the ipad for that reason. Sometimes I take it coffee shops, but mostly it stays at home.

I really thought about getting the iPad a lot (which is why I'm on the waiting list rather than already having one). Currently I have: Kindle2, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, Blackberry Storm, 2 desktop computers and a notebook computer.

I hasten to add that the Blackberry and notebook are owned by my employer. I am unhappy with the Blackberry Storm, the Nano was replaced with the Touch. When the next iPhone's come out I plan to replace the Storm and iPod Touch with an iPhone (will sell Touch on eBay probably).

I adore the Kindle2 for many of the reasons that W2R suggests.

Yet in all of that I could see a use for the iPad.

The Kindle size is great. I like the free wireless connection. However, the Kindle isn't perfect either. You can sort of go on some web sites with it but it is very limited. Finding books can be tedious. The lack of backlighting has its advantages for sure (when you are outdoors for example). Yet, I sometimes want to read in low light and it doesn't work for that. If DH and I go out at night and I am a passenger I can't read on the Kindle without turning on the overhead light in the car. What I find myself doing in that situation is pulling out my iPod touch for that (have Kindle on there too) but the smaller screen is not ideal. Kindle is not great for books with graphics. The graphics are just too tiny to be read in many instances (like in financial books) or are hard to read given the no color.

I do subscribe to some TV shows on iTunes. I also like to watch some things on YouTube. That will be easier to watch on the iPad. I like the idea of the larger screen for that. For casual web surfing, I like the idea of being able to do it on the couch or wherever and not to have to sit at my desk. Yes, I know I could do it on the notebook but I don't actually end up carrying it around the house to do that.

I see an iPad as being something much like carrying around a magazine with you to pass the time.

Have a birthday coming up and was suggesting it to the gal, who is tethered to her Iphone. Did a wooden cutout and suggested it would be more fun for her and better battery life than her Iphone - she was pretty convinced it offered nothing but the opportunity to break while adding nothing to her Iphone + laptop combo. The wooden cutout was not a good fit in her purse, BTW.

Well then, DW will need a new purse to match her new iPad!

Gotta think like a woman!

:LOL:

Currently I have: Kindle2, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, Blackberry Storm, 2 desktop computers and a notebook computer.

That's 7 gadgets to keep track of. Too many for me. I have a desktop computer at work, a personal laptop which often travels with me, and a Blackberry Bold with added memory. Currently they meet all my business and personal needs. I have taken some amazing photos with my Blackberry, I have my favourite CDs loaded on it, and regularly use several favourite apps. When I want to read a book, I enjoy just.....reading a book. At present, the only way I could justify buying an iPad would be if it could replace my laptop. Since it has no means of downloading information to a jump drive, and does not run MS Office, it doesn't fulfil my requirements. Buying one "for fun" would just complicate my life and would not be LBYM right now.

That's 7 gadgets to keep track of. Too many for me. .... Buying one "for fun" would just complicate my life and would not be LBYM right now.
Exactly! I think we are in a transitional era, the 7 will be obsolete in a while. iPad would be another (slight) learning curve. It took me months to figure out all the uses for iPod and I'm sure there are more ideas out there.

That's 7 gadgets to keep track of. Too many for me.

Well soon it will be fewer: iPhone, iPad, 2 desktop computers, notebook computer (notebook used really only for work or when I travel). But they each have different functions (well the 2 desktops are very similar).

DW and I got our iPads last weekend. I've been too busy to post the results...but we both love them! I got thew 3G version. It is a little slower than I had anticipated while on 3G, but lightnin' fast on the wifi.

I just got off a plane from SFO to London Heathrow. I downloaded a couple of magazines and a couple of books from the lounge. Read one entire magazine and part of the book before going to sleep. Played with Numbers, fiddled with a couple of apps after waking. Still have loads of battery.

I bought my first MacBook at the same time, out of frustration with Windows based equipment at work and at home. Also fantastic. Should have done it long ago.

I will no longer be carrying a laptop for most trips, and my briefcase for most business trips and all vacations will be minimal, instead of the roll-on I usually take (with PC, cords, magazines, books, and some work). With 10 hr life on the iPad battery I won't need the cords in my carry-on, and the books and mags will be in the iPad. Sweet!

R

I guess it was inevitable, the iMaxi iPad carrying case....
And not a moment too soon. ;)

Warning bathroom story ahead:

The other day, all four electronic gadgets were in my open bag, propped on the sink, one of those automatic faucets went on, water gushed straight into the bag. It was sheer panic but they all survived.

Last edited:
DW and I got our iPads last weekend. I've been too busy to post the results...but we both love them! I got thew 3G version. It is a little slower than I had anticipated while on 3G, but lightnin' fast on the wifi.

I just got off a plane from SFO to London Heathrow. I downloaded a couple of magazines and a couple of books from the lounge. Read one entire magazine and part of the book before going to sleep. Played with Numbers, fiddled with a couple of apps after waking. Still have loads of battery.

I bought my first MacBook at the same time, out of frustration with Windows based equipment at work and at home. Also fantastic. Should have done it long ago.

I will no longer be carrying a laptop for most trips, and my briefcase for most business trips and all vacations will be minimal, instead of the roll-on I usually take (with PC, cords, magazines, books, and some work). With 10 hr life on the iPad battery I won't need the cords in my carry-on, and the books and mags will be in the iPad. Sweet!

R
nice! I can't wait.

Audrey

I am smitten!

Just got my Mother's Day gift...a 16 g iPad 3G and while I haven't even begun to figure out all it has under the hood so to speak, I must say that this forum looks beautiful on this screen! I think my net book is going to be lonely!

Just got my Mother's Day gift...a 16 g iPad 3G and while I haven't even begun to figure out all it has under the hood so to speak, I must say that this forum looks beautiful on this screen! I think my net book is going to be lonely!

What a terrific Mother's Day gift!! How cool. Have fun. :D

I have a question about generic wi fi security. If I am on a public network how do I 'encrypt' my info so it doesn't get pulled out of the air? Specifically the ipad.

What kind of info?

Emails, web browsing?

In OS X, the email client does support encryption and signatures but I'm not sure about iPhone.

I would imagine mobile Safari supports SSL pages but don't recall seeing if there are locked icons when I want to log into my credit card info for instance.

Not sure about apps. either but I assume apps. for financial info. can use SSL if the app. developers support it.

I have a question about generic wi fi security. If I am on a public network how do I 'encrypt' my info so it doesn't get pulled out of the air? Specifically the ipad.

If you use the WPA2 option, the wifi signal is encrypted. At least that is my understanding. More here

Safari on the iPad supports https encryption.

Back
Top Bottom