Iphone 15

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
Iphone preorder date is tomorrow. DW wants to BTD, so we each will be ordering one, trading in 13's. I want to take it on a road trip and use it for trip photos and videos, leaving DSLR at home.

Anyone plan on getting a 15?

I have a 13 mini and not ready to part with it. I like the small size. However, DW’s phone is an 11 so she’ll be upgrading. Not sure yet about the base 15 or the Pro. Probably the pro because she likes taking pictures.

I have the 13 and its ok for me. DW still has the XR that is getting low on battery but she still won't give up yet. Says she don't want to learn a new phone @ 70. Buuut she gets frustrated having to get the long cord out to plug in when sitting in her recliner playing games on her phone. She will come around soon I'm sure when we are stuck inside more this winter. We will probably upgrade her to the 14 with 256 g memory when the time comes.

I was holding out upgrading (iPhone 8!) to see how the pricing of the 14 was after the 15 release. Also considered an SE as it would still be an upgrade. With the prices holding steady I'm debating the 15 since the price differential is not that much now and it would have the newer processor and usb-c and thus stay relevant longer since I keep my phones "forever." The 8 still meets my needs but will not likely be supported much longer and is a bit slow.

I have a 12. I would like to upgrade to the 15 Pro.

The titanium looks like a nice upgrade.

Only $250 for my trade in. :-(

We purchased our first ever Apple products, both iPhone 13s, back in February, and we're quite satisfied with them. We're not power users, so the 13s are more than ample for our needs. With some tweaks of the settings, we have outstanding battery life. Far better than with our previous Samsung smartphones.

OTOH, I suspect our kid may be looking to upgrade to the 15 Max from their 13 Max. Part of it is a necessity for work.

I was holding out upgrading (iPhone 8!) to see how the pricing of the 14 was after the 15 release. Also considered an SE as it would still be an upgrade. With the prices holding steady I'm debating the 15 since the price differential is not that much now and it would have the newer processor and usb-c and thus stay relevant longer since I keep my phones "forever." The 8 still meets my needs but will not likely be supported much longer and is a bit slow.

I have an 8+. I guess it’s time for an upgrade.

I always get the latest and greatest because it is vital for my job. I usually hand my current phone to son or nephew, depending on who needs to replace.

I have a 13 Pro, and I'm thinking about it. Not sure, though. I really like the switch to USB-C and a few other new features, but are those enough to justify the roughly $600 I'd have to spend (after trade-in) to get the 15? Ehhh... probably not.

Our first iPhones were 6+, then 12, so I assume we'll buy the iPhone 18 next...:D

USB-C is a nice change, but we've ponied up for Lightning cables, so we're going to use them.

Last edited:
Iphone preorder date is tomorrow. DW wants to BTD, so we each will be ordering one, trading in 13's. I want to take it on a road trip and use it for trip photos and videos, leaving DSLR at home.

I traded in for the iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro Max and the iPhone 14 Pro Max.

I’ve used them more and more on travel photos but I’m still primarily taking my Nikon FF mirror less and lugging it around, with a 24-120 zoom.

They’re certainly better than they used to be but they have limits because of the limited optics and small sensor. You don’t have to zoom in too much on a desktop display to see how rough the pixels are, especially when not using RAW or base ISO.

Also, the 0.5x, 2x and 3x are nowhere near as sharp as the 1x, so my expectations of the different focal lengths are lower. I still use them but not as much.

That’s why I don’t know how good the 5x tetra prism (120 mm equivalent) will be. I don’t use that focal length much on my Nikon, not because of sharpness but because it’s not as useful for travel photography.

I’ll probably still do it, see what kind of trade in they offer on my 14 Pro Max.

I have a 12 Pro and DW has an 11. I’d like to upgrade, but we’re already blowing dough on solar, new roof and siding, and a new bay window. Maybe a new car for DW. We’ll see how the market does this year.

It looks like the major carriers are offering some good deals for anyone interested in upgrading.
Get Ready for iPhone 15 Pre-Orders With This List of the Best Carrier Deals

The devil is in the details, of course, and there are usually some pretty sizable hoops you have to jump through to get the best deals.

My 14 Pro Max should last me several years yet, so I'm not investigating it now.

I have 11 and DW has 8, no upgrades here. She should with the 8 as I read it won't be supported after IOS 17 comes out but she is almost as stubborn as I am.

I had an iPhone on Verizon for years. Then several years ago when my iPhone 5 cratered and I checked the price for the (then new) iPhone 8 :eek: , I finally admitted to myself that I am too much of a cheapskate to be happy with that arrangement. (Who knows why? I blame it on my Scottish ancestry but I suspect it might instead have something to do with the fact that I am old and out-of-date, and only use my phone for actual phone calls.)

So, I switched to a limitless talk and text plan on Cricket Wireless ($30.00/month, never a penny more), and they gave me an Android phone for free just for porting my number over.

TLDR: Nope, not planning on getting a 15 or any other iPhone in the near future. They are great if you use them, but for old fashioned types like me, something simpler is better.

for old fashioned types like me, something simpler is better.

I think you're in good company.
One of my neighbors recently died, just short of his 90th birthday. He was a well respected physician until he retired at the age of 77, but he had never even touched either a computer or a cell phone.
His landline phone and his daily newspaper were his interface with the world at large, and he was perfectly content with that. Super nice guy and he'll be missed by all who knew him.

I dunno about this newfangled thing, how much $$$ is it?
Have Iphone 7, a bit beat up, plays music, does mail, makes calls etc. does HRV, can call uber but never have, works fine.

We're thinking about getting new phones this year. I have a 10 and DW an 11. I don't know. Probably won't be worth it to me. DW uses her phone more than I do.

DW has an X and I have an 11. We'll definitely be replacing the X (as it will not work with OS17, although battery life is still very good). I'm on the fence with my 11. It will depend upon any deal I can get with our 55+ T-mobile plan.

I use a 2022 SE that works well and has a small form factor that I like. I’ll stay put and will keep my eye out for future models. I do like the move to USB-C but my phone mostly charges on a charging pad. I use Bluetooth for AirPods.

Both DH and I have the 14 Pro Max and will not be upgrading. We also have the Series 8 watches and will be upgrading those as there's a gremlin in my watch. DH's watch is fine but we like to be on the same series phone and/or watch so he will also upgrade.

I’d like to upgrade both my phone and watch, but I’m underwhelmed with the new features. I’m planning on holding out until next year when more features should be introduced.

DW has an X and I have an 11. We'll definitely be replacing the X (as it will not work with OS17, although battery life is still very good). I'm on the fence with my 11. It will depend upon any deal I can get with our 55+ T-mobile plan.

DH’s long used X failed last year with the dreaded green screen lines getting progressively worse, so it’s good to replace.

I went from 8 to 13. Not ready to upgrade again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom