Iphone 15

DH and I both have iPhone 13 minis. I've been perfectly happy with it and I like the small size. Then I downloaded iOS 17 today and tried to use the StandBy feature that lets you display clocks and widgets when your phone is in landscape mode and being charged.

I can get StandBy mode to work but it goes dark after 30 seconds. So I've been trying to figure out how to configure all this to make it display longer.

Turns out that to use StandBy mode "always on" feature you have to have a iPhone 14 Pro or newer.
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/use-standby-mode-iphone/

Arggh! No, I'm not getting a new phone.

Last edited:
For now, we are fine with what we have. I have a SE iPhone and I believe a cheaper version of the iPhone 13.

I get text messages of late to upgrade to the 15.

DH and I both have iPhone 13 minis. I've been perfectly happy with it and I like the small size. Then I downloaded iOS 17 today and tried to use the StandBy feature that lets you display clocks and widgets when your phone is in landscape mode and being charged.

I can get StandBy mode to work but it goes dark after 30 seconds. So I've been trying to figure out how to configure all this to make it display longer.

Turns out that to use StandBy mode "always on" feature you have to have a iPhone 14 Pro or newer.
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/use-standby-mode-iphone/

Arggh! No, I'm not getting a new phone.
We have seven month-old iPhone 13s, so we'll be unable to use the StandBy feature. I think I'm fine with that. What I don't know is if I want to rush us into iOS 17. For now, it's listed in the updates menu, but it's not being forced an an update.

I’ve ordered my iPhone 15 Pro 256GB online to pick it up on Saturday. Used Apple’s veteran’s 10% discount and will be trading in my iPhone 12 Pro, also 256GB. DW wants to keep her 11 for another year. Verizon’s deal has too many strings attached.

I’ve ordered my iPhone 15 Pro 256GB online to pick it up on Saturday. Used Apple’s veteran’s 10% discount and will be trading in my iPhone 12 Pro, also 256GB. DW wants to keep her 11 for another year. Verizon’s deal has too many strings attached.
That veteran’s discount are is sweet!

Downloaded IOS 17 yesterday, it will spark upgrades as it isn't available on iPhone 8 which DW has and older iPads. I understand that Apple will continue for a period to publish security updates but that won't last forever.

BTW, IOS 17 took quite some time to download and update.

I am having great fun with this so I am upgrading to a 15 from a 14.

Ditching the weird charging cable in favor of a normal USB-C will simplify my life a little bit - now all my gadgets use the same plug again.

Not really a good enough reason to upgrade in itself. So I guess this is a BTD item too.

Ditching the weird charging cable in favor of a normal USB-C will simplify my life a little bit - now all my gadgets use the same plug again.

Not really a good enough reason to upgrade in itself. So I guess this is a BTD item too.

Actually, I can see a lot of people thinking that's a good enough reason.

Not me yet, since I still have several gadgets using Lightning sockets (wireless keyboard and mouse, watch charger). The day is coming, though. I'm very glad the EU mandated this change; it was a good idea.

Actually, I can see a lot of people thinking that's a good enough reason.

Not me yet, since I still have several gadgets using Lightning sockets (wireless keyboard and mouse, watch charger). The day is coming, though. I'm very glad the EU mandated this change; it was a good idea.

Yes, we too have quite an investment in lightning cables for both power and audio. A change to USB-C will simplify over the longer term but right now will lead us to delay upgrading our XR phones.

I am having great fun with this so I am upgrading to a 15 from a 14.

That will be a big deal for me! Right now I use a tiny dongle on the phone to convert USB-C to lightning and it’s a pain to keep up with when traveling. I will be delighted to have all USB-C. My iPhone is the only holdout. But I’m not quite ready to upgrade as my phone is only 14 months old.

Last edited:
That will be a big deal for me! Right now I use a tiny dongle on the phone to convert USB-C to lightning and it’s a pain to keep up with when traveling. I will be delighted to have all USB-C. My iPhone is the only holdout. But I’m not quite ready to upgrade as my phone is only 14 months old.
Adapters will be a part of all our lives unless we upgrade everything all the time, just what sellers want! I have lightning cables so I don’t have to buy anything new. And even if we upgrade to USB-C devices, both our cars have USB-A plugs even though they’re 2019 & 2022 models. Are we all going to buy new cars with USB-C now too? I have a backwards adapter USB-C to USB-A for my golf watch. :(

Last edited:
Fortunately everything in my life including the car is USB-C except for the darn phone! AirPods - wireless charging same as my watch and I switched to the USB-C version from r traveling. IPads are all USB-C as are our laptop and external drives.

Last edited:
I'm upgrading, picking up a Titanium Blue 256 GB Pro Max this Saturday.

I won't upgrade my AirPods Pros though. I have Lightning cables, it's not an imposition keeping those around for a few more years.

Some people complain that they have to buy whole new AirPod Pros to get the new ones with USB-C instead of just being able to buy the charging case.

My AirPod Pro and AirPod Pro 2 are both in good condition and I use them both on long international flights.

We’ve had a couple of AirPods fail generating white noise in one channel. One pair was AirPods Pro. Both were past the 1 year hardware warranty. Odd failure mode.

In addition to cables, a new phone also needs case and screen protector, Does the iPhone 15, with the ceramic shield and titanium case. still need this additional protection?

In addition to cables, a new phone also needs case and screen protector, Does the iPhone 15, with the ceramic shield and titanium case. still need this additional protection?

Most people use cases, but I used my iPhone 14 Pro with no case and it was fine.

I'm doing the same with the new iPhone 15 Pro Max (I really want the 6X camera).

It's pretty much a preference thing.

If it falls and lands on the edge, a case could provide some protection.

At a minimum, reduce chances of scratches, cracks to the back glass.

If you're thinking in terms of trading in in the future or reselling, a case might give you a better chance to keep it in better condition.

I’d never use a phone without a case.

I decided to upgrade to an iPhone Pro 15 from a 12 Pro. The trade-in value for the 12 is good and Apple’s giving me 3% cashback using the Apple Card, along with 0% financing for 24 months. They sure make it easy!

I’m getting the 128gb version. I’m under 80gb on my current phone, so it should be more than enough. I’m sure I could free up space by deleting unused apps/data.

I’m curious about the new FineWoven cases. I’ll stop by an Apple Store once they’re released to see what they’re like. I’ve always bought the Apple leather case in the past.

IPads are all USB-C as are our laptop and external drives.
I wish I had USB-C on my external hard drives. They all have USB 3.0 Micro-B jacks, and I loathe them. USB 3.0 Micro-B jacks are the only USB jacks to fail on me, and I've had two of them go bad, both on external hard drives.

Tried an online order for the 15 Pro Max for in store pickup in all four colors. No luck as delivery dates range from mid October to mid November. Any chance if I show up at the store on 9/22 one will be available?

I have an iPhone 11 trade in with battery health at 85%. If it drops below a certain level will they decrease the $200 trade in or even decline the trade in?

We have an IPhone 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max shipping Friday. Neither of us really needed new phones, but the trade in prices with T-Mobile were so good that it made the decision easy for us. We bought an IPhone 12 Pro three years ago for $799 and sold it back to them for $650. Hard to pass on such a good deal.

I have a 13 Pro, and I'm thinking about it. Not sure, though. I really like the switch to USB-C and a few other new features, but are those enough to justify the roughly $600 I'd have to spend (after trade-in) to get the 15? Ehhh... probably not.

Totally fun discretionary purchase.

Back
Top Bottom