Is 3.875% still the lowest mortgage rate you can get with a high credit score?

MarieL

Dryer sheet aficionado
As the title says, I was just wondering for someone with a high credit score, if 3.875% still the lowest possible mortgage rate you can get right now? I saw another poster in another thread mention this rate, which was the same as mine when I got my house a couple of years ago.

Considering the headline I read on a story yesterday was "The average interest rate for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage fell to 3.45% last week", 3.875% is very likely not the lowest possible. 15-year is even lower. A buddy of mine in FL is currently closing on his 15-year at 3.0%, which he's had a lock on for a month or two.

I just looked at the NASA FCU page, and they're showing a 30 year fixed for 3.125%, and a 15 year fixed for 2.75%. Dunno about points, closing costs, etc.

I'm at 3.875% fixed for a 30 year, right now. I had been at 4.75% when I bought the house in September 2018, but then rates dropped and I refinanced in April 2019. That drop saved me about $240/mo.

If I could refinance to 3.125%, I estimate it would save me about $195/mo. So, depending on closing costs, it might be worth it to me.

PenFed CU is showing 3.25%, 30 year, fixed, no points.

Don’t drink the kool-aid on having a high credit score lowers your loan rate. Usually you only need a mid 700 score to get the best rate. You could pay more if your score is lower.

I just got an unsolicited offer for a rate of 3.25 w/ 2 points (APY=3.45). I always use APY rather than APR to compare rates. You can usually get a lower rate if you pay points but APY includes the impact of points and closing costs.

Last edited:
I refinanced a few weeks ago for 3.625% and no points and looks like rates are lower on Zillow now. Wish I had waited a couple of weeks.

I am in process of a refinance. Locked at 3.5% 30 year fixed. Credit score over 800 (my understanding is what mattered was being at 760 or above.

Back
Top Bottom