Just quit, feeling panicky

Check out this forum: early-retirement.org. I have found it rewarding.

Funny, I worry too! But as all have said.... that is normal (after reading your posts maybe u worry more than others....nothin wrong with that). Ive found the good folks here have some darn good advice and u should take heart. I don't know this to be true but I think whomever lands on this site will be just fine. You have saved and studied the FIRE plan so go live it!!

I worry about the folks who say "What is FIRE"

There are infinite flavors of FIRE and one really doesn’t have to necessarily break all of their habits in one shattering, disorienting blow.

For me, it worked to flip the w*rking light switch completely off for 9 months and enjoy no obligations during the depths of the pandemic in 2020. After that, I started wanting more of a dimmer switch. Some consulting opportunities came along and it felt right to have a little part time structure to my week, have a way to express my expertise and help people, and to earn some income. Similarly, after a year break, DW took advantage of a part time, work from home opportunity that was completely out of her old field, which has proved satisfying to her.

Right now, I’m dialing it back up, trying to find the right brightness for me, at this particular time, short of full power. DW is pondering another break.

There are infinite flavors of FIRE and one really doesn’t have to necessarily break all of their habits in one shattering, disorienting blow.

^This. I've said before, the important aspect of FIRE is the FI. The RE can be whatever you want it to be. Knowing we are FI gives us the freedom to do whatever we want. I have never felt bad about going back to work after a few breaks in the resume. Currently working from home because why not? I get all the house work done along with dishes, lawn care, car care, medical appointments, etc... Even the busiest folks on my team work maybe 25-30 hours per week. We all get paid for 40. I speak with many neighbors who are in their 60's, 70's and 80's. The common theme is to keep busy and keep the mind engaged. That's my plan now that FI is complete.

Update: panic gone! That didn’t take long :)

Been slowly putting a little structure in my mornings so there’s some routine. But leaving afternoons wide open. The routine seemed to help create an anchor.

Good for you! Enjoy your retirement:dance:

^This. I've said before, the important aspect of FIRE is the FI. The RE can be whatever you want it to be. Knowing we are FI gives us the freedom to do whatever we want.

I think this is spot on and well said...Many times we confuse it by grouping both always together, but for me the ultimate is arriving at total FI, and having the option to keep working or do whatever I choose...Thats the most important piece of FIRE

If you remove the comma from your title it will read: "Just quit feeling panicky"
I know, easier said than done but it does get better. I think we've all been there.

Yup, the FI is required to RE, but RE is not a requisite for being FI. FI has always been my goal and it has made my life much less stressful. I am able to identify how much less stressful it made my life because with the house we purchased I got pushed back from being FI and can feel the emotional difference in knowing we need to keep good income coming in for a while longer to get back to being able to meet all our needs from our investments.

Am definitely looking forward to someday REing when I'm FI enough that it won't feel panicky (hopefully!).

Yup, the FI is required to RE, but RE is not a requisite for being FI. FI has always been my goal and it has made my life much less stressful. I am able to identify how much less stressful it made my life because with the house we purchased I got pushed back from being FI and can feel the emotional difference in knowing we need to keep good income coming in for a while longer to get back to being able to meet all our needs from our investments.

Am definitely looking forward to someday REing when I'm FI enough that it won't feel panicky (hopefully!).

In my case, simply being FI was enough. At about that time, I realized that I could leave at any time - on my terms and, miracle of miracles, I happened to be enjoying myself doing what I was doing. SO, I stayed at megacorp and "played" for 7 more years (while also enhancing my more than adequate nest egg.) The DAY they changed the game (the day I had to play for megacorp instead of for my own enjoyment) I bailed out! Very little panic, though it WAS quite a change to suddenly be "unempl*yed" after all those years.

FI is the more important of the two (FI and RE). Once your'e FI, you can ER at any time - in YOUR OWN time and for your benefit. It's wonderful being FI. ER is pretty sweet too but YMMV as always. Aloha.

Sure. Change is hard... but you haven't yet used the newfound freedom so of course its going to feel a bit odd.

Try something new. Surely there's something you couldn't do because you didn't have the time or had somewhere you had to be.

Buy a ticket. Take a trip.
Better yet, rent the house out, get in the car and drive to Baja and stare at some sunsets... stay a while.

Embrace realizing when you can't remember the last time you set an alarm, or when you first can't remember what day of the week it is, or what month it is, or when you last checked on your finances. Now you're living!

Money's only fun when you spend it and freedom is only good when you use it!

Sure. Change is hard... but you haven't yet used the newfound freedom so of course its going to feel a bit odd.

Try something new. Surely there's something you couldn't do because you didn't have the time or had somewhere you had to be.

Buy a ticket. Take a trip.
Better yet, rent the house out, get in the car and drive to Baja and stare at some sunsets... stay a while.

Embrace realizing when you can't remember the last time you set an alarm, or when you first can't remember what day of the week it is, or what month it is, or when you last checked on your finances. Now you're living!

Money's only fun when you spend it and freedom is only good when you use it!

I love this thank you @brydanger

I’m now just over a month into life-after-job and feeling great. We took a long overdue trip to visit some relatives and friends last month. I’m trying to focus on strengthening neglected relationships due to “always working”:facepalm:

One thing I wasn’t prepared for is the cost of travel. I traveled for work a lot and enjoyed free stays in awesome locations and would leapfrog off of free airfare for extended excursions, so it turns out my perspective is a bit warped! Doing a bit more research and plotting out how best to use discretionary allotment for the rest of the year.

I love this thank you @brydanger

I’m now just over a month into life-after-job and feeling great. We took a long overdue trip to visit some relatives and friends last month. I’m trying to focus on strengthening neglected relationships due to “always working”:facepalm:

One thing I wasn’t prepared for is the cost of travel. I traveled for work a lot and enjoyed free stays in awesome locations and would leapfrog off of free airfare for extended excursions, so it turns out my perspective is a bit warped! Doing a bit more research and plotting out how best to use discretionary allotment for the rest of the year.

Yeah, having to pay for my own travel was one of the first "bad" things about FIRE that I noticed. I learned quickly how to travel cheaply (or at least cheaper.) You will adapt to the few downsides of FIRE. YMMV

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom