Laundry... unrealized savings..

I wore uniforms when I was w*rking underground; our water and sewage up significantly because I don't shower at w*rk anymore.

Wife and I have 2 loads a week, but somehow after the clothes are moved from the washer to the dryer, she always has an errand to run, and I end up folding them. Probably just a coincidence! :)

Wife and I have 2 loads a week, but somehow after the clothes are moved from the washer to the dryer, she always has an errand to run, and I end up folding them. Probably just a coincidence! :)

Heh, heh, DW doesn't like the way I fold clothes (or, more to the point, how I hang them up.) It's not rocket science, but she believes I do it "wrong" which pretty much means I hang up only my half dozen T-shirts and she hangs up or folds all the rest.

Since COVID I admit I've been wearing clothes longer before laundering and wearing them a few times IN A ROW rather than cleverly mixing them up :cool: So between me and my SO it's a single load of clothes each week, a relatively small load of towels, and a load of sheets. I'd like to to sheets and towels together but they just get tangled up and don't dry well. So 3 loads a week unless I have some special cleaning project going on.

Since COVID I admit I've been wearing clothes longer before laundering and wearing them a few times IN A ROW rather than cleverly mixing them up :cool: So between me and my SO it's a single load of clothes each week, a relatively small load of towels, and a load of sheets. I'd like to to sheets and towels together but they just get tangled up and don't dry well. So 3 loads a week unless I have some special cleaning project going on.

Yeah, I often wear clothes for short periods a few days in a row. As long as I shower every day (and change unmentionables) shirts and pants are clean enough to reuse. YMMV

Whats a dishwasher:confused:?

Ha!
You need to become one with the dishwasher.
My friends who are much younger than I have taught me that everything can go in the dishwasher. I’ve started following this practice and now it takes me 5 minutes to clean up at night.
So far everything has come out fine and no one has died.
Who knew! [emoji38]

Ha!
You need to become one with the dishwasher.
My friends who are much younger than I have taught me that everything can go in the dishwasher. I’ve started following this practice and now it takes me 5 minutes to clean up at night.
So far everything has come out fine and no one has died.
Who knew! [emoji38]

I used to clean certain auto parts in the dishwasher (nothing greasy) until DW caught me.:D (that was when I was restoring classics)

I used to clean certain auto parts in the dishwasher (nothing greasy) until DW caught me.:D (that was when I was restoring classics)

What was DW's issue with cleaning parts in the dishwasher?:facepalm:

Lots of home mechanics do that. She was just having a bad day, I guess. :D

As long as you promised to replace the DW with a newer upgraded model should you ruin the current one…I see nothing wrong with using it for non greasy parts. Which of course you did? [emoji15]
Although for the life of me I don’t know why a part going in a vehicle needs to be cleaned!

As long as you promised to replace the DW with a newer upgraded model should you ruin the current one…I see nothing wrong with using it for non greasy parts. Which of course you did? [emoji15]
Although for the life of me I don’t know why a part going in a vehicle needs to be cleaned!

Apparently, you have never restored a classic car! :D

True!
And to clarify by DW I meant new dishwasher not a new wife. [emoji23]

I would guess that for the past few years laundry has consisted of t-shirts, shorts, and briefs. I tend to walk around barefoot at home so there is an occasional pair of socks when going out if I am not in sandals. I don't think I own anything that requires taking them to the cleaners except for sports coats that I rarely wear. I can go for a couple of weeks before laundry since I have a lot of t-shirts. The washing machine should last for a long time.
Retirement is great as well as living at the beach in Florida.

Cheers!

I would guess that for the past few years laundry has consisted of t-shirts, shorts, and briefs. I tend to walk around barefoot at home so there is an occasional pair of socks when going out if I am not in sandals. I don't think I own anything that requires taking them to the cleaners except for sports coats that I rarely wear. I can go for a couple of weeks before laundry since I have a lot of t-shirts. The washing machine should last for a long time.
Retirement is great as well as living at the beach in Florida.

Cheers!

Heh, heh, the day we got married, DW gave away all my shirts that required ironing. The day I retired, I gave away every thing I owned that needed to be dry cleaned. YMMV

EMS, 3-4 uniforms a week

I'm surprised you brought your EMS uniforms home to wash. We have a SOG at my department that uniforms worn on duty WILL BE laundered at the station using the supplied washer & dryer with the supplied detergent. It's a health & safety measure in an effort to not have members bring bad stuff home to their families.

I wash my pants and top shirts only when dirty/spilled on. Most loads for me are socks, underwear, undershirts and workout clothes. But I work in an office setting. Not high dirt.

My wife wears something and everything is washed every time. Even delicate sweaters. I asked one time and one time only why. :)

We have a SOG at my department that uniforms worn on duty WILL BE laundered at the station using the supplied washer & dryer with the supplied detergent.

Thats how it should be. We didn't have a washer until about a year before I retired. The only time contamination was an issue was if there was a gross amount of blood involved. That would go in a bio bag and sent out.

For perhaps the first 14 years we were married, we didn't own a washer/dryer. We'd go to a laundromat. There was an old kinda run-down laundromat that we usually used and ca 1979 it was still 25 cents wash/10 cents dry. (They had one washer that was still 15 cents - I have no idea why it hadn't been updated to 25 cents - but most times I got that washer, along with some others.) We could do 4 weeks of laundry (we didn't go very often) in 2 hours and pay 4 or 5 dollars. At those prices it didn't make much sense to buy a washer/dryer though it was a drag schlepping 4 laundry baskets to the laundromat and then hanging stuff on a bar in the back seat of the car. BUT it actually saved time/money.

Just a few years back, our washer had some issues and we took laundry to a local laundromat. Large washers were 7 dollars a load and large dryers were a dollar for 10 minutes. We got our washer fixed as soon as they could get the parts. YMMV

We didn't own a washer/dryer. We'd go to a laundromat.
Just a few years back, our washer had some issues and we took laundry to a local laundromat.

We also started out going to the laundromat. In 1986, with our son born, the Wife had a choice, Cloth diapers and a wash machine, or disposable diapers. So we got a machine.
When we sold the house and move to the camper, The machines went into storage, and we got to experience going back to the laundromat... That SUCKED.. then Covid made it even worse. Top priority was to get that fixed.
As soon as we got the Temp power pole set on the new place, 2 days later the well was hooked up, and garden hose and extension cord made laundry possible.

Back
Top Bottom