Macro & Camera for Slides

It's been a long time since I played with a 350D so it may be as feature-poor as you suggest, but I'm surprised about the blurry viewfinder comment. The view should look tack sharp when you're in focus. If not try adjusting the diopter wheel right beside the viewfinder. The previous owner might have it adjusted for their eyes and not optimally for yours.

Once you've done this I'd also recommend stopping down to f/16 to make focus a bit less critical. There may be a miniscule reduction in max sharpness due to diffraction, but nothing you'd notice on an old 8MP cam like the 350D.

Scanning Results

After looking at some examples of scans from the Kodak Scanza, I made an eBay bid, and was surprised to have "won" it for only $75. I scanned 5,571 slides...every one that was in mom's attic, irrespective of the quality (quicker if no decision has to be made).

Before launching off on the big project, I did some experimentation, comparing the various modes on the Scanza with the flatbed (the flatbed takes forever to scan, and I'd never do more than a few with that, but it's the "gold standard").

So below I've attached my test results. The bottom line is that the Scanza is certainly good enough for who it's for (me, hehe!). The flat bed is better, but my criterion was how good it looks when displayed on a 1920x1080 screen, and the two were indistinguishable. Note that I was playing with the white balance, so the colors aren't aligned in the images attached. The Scanza has a serious leaning toward blue that I mostly was able to adjust out, but still, that's poor design of the device. Also poor is the two scanning modes (the "21 MP" mode of the Scanza vs "14MP" mode). The two modes are very similar. My skeptical brain wonders if the marketing department just added that mode to make sure nobody had "better specs". The 14MP is nowhere even close to what a 14MP camera would produce, so I figure those numbers are all about marketing, and nothing to do with the real specs of the device. But, like I said, it was good enough to scan the slides.

The rate that I scanned these slides was about 300 per hour. That includes a bit of flipping to get emulsion side down, orienting them, and jotting down a time and a subject.

The scanner starts at June 1, 2017 midnight when you plug it in, and there's no way to adjust the date/time. So I wrote a little program that pushes the date into the EXITF and also into the file name (once I get the images transferred to the computer, of course). About 1/3 of the slides had a date printed on the cardboard mount, which I would jot down, along with the wall-clock time. So my notes with closely synchronized time allowed me to get the right date on each small batch of usually 20 to 60 slides with that date/subject. The older slides didn't have dates. They still got sorted into batches by subject that someone had jotted on each stack, but the accuracy was poor. Someone, I think early on, put roll letters (A, B, C, D, E, F...) on each slide, so that went into my short description for the stack. Some stacks were all "H" and labeled "japan" or something, which would make finding specifics nice, but many were hopelessly mixed up with 5 or more roll letters.

I justified taking time on this project because my dad was one of 7 kids, and so I have over 25 potentially interested cousins. Although I kind of doubt anyone will do much with these. At least they didn't go into the trash without scanning.

Attachments

• Scanza21MPvs14MP_nodiff.jpg
    Scanza21MPvs14MP_nodiff.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 41
  • ScanzaVsFlatbed_21_14MP_nodiff.jpg
    ScanzaVsFlatbed_21_14MP_nodiff.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20211010_151120961.jpg
    IMG_20211010_151120961.jpg
    694 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
The problem you're having with the Canon 350D is when you press the shutter the mirror raises to expose the sensor (film). This means you lose the view like you mentioned. A mirrorless camera such as Olympus or other should give you the live view you're looking for allowing you to focus. But that's more equipment....

The problem you're having with the Canon 350D is when you press the shutter the mirror raises to expose the sensor (film). This means you lose the view like you mentioned. A mirrorless camera such as Olympus or other should give you the live view you're looking for allowing you to focus. But that's more equipment....
That really wasn't it.... momentary loss of the image wasn't the problem. It was that when scanning, I didn't want to have to be looking through a viewfinder at all.
It's been a long time since I played with a 350D so it may be as feature-poor as you suggest, but I'm surprised about the blurry viewfinder comment. The view should look tack sharp when you're in focus. If not try adjusting the diopter wheel right beside the viewfinder. The previous owner might have it adjusted for their eyes and not optimally for yours.
I looked for a way to focus the viewfinder, but there wasn't a way....I think there might have been a component missing.

All academic now, as the project is done. For future readers, let me explain that the issue with focus wasn't that I thought it could not be done, but that it had a lot of risk. I could have built a slide scanning rig that held the camera and held the slide feeding system, but it was hard for me to be sure it would work smoothly in production mode. If I would have been able to validate the basics with the quick, improvised tripod rig I made, I might have built the production setup. But not having immediate feedback on focus, along with getting the stand-alone scanner put me on that path.

.... I scanned 5,571 slides...every one that was in mom's attic, irrespective of the quality (quicker if no decision has to be made).

So below I've attached my test results. The bottom line is that the Scanza is certainly good enough for who it's for (me, hehe!). The flat bed is better, but my criterion was how good it looks when displayed on a 1920x1080 screen, and the two were indistinguishable. ...

I justified taking time on this project because my dad was one of 7 kids, and so I have over 25 potentially interested cousins. Although I kind of doubt anyone will do much with these. At least they didn't go into the trash without scanning.

Wow, that's some project. I can't imagine that number of slides. I'm not sure whether I should be in awe of your dedication/persistence, or just wonder about your sanity! :) But I do understand that it's probably easier/faster to just scan than to decide what should be included or not - that can drive one nuts anyhow.

I'd agree that for something like this, how it looks on a 1920x1080 screen is probably good enough. Sure future screens will have better specs, but this should be more than good enough for causal viewing. When I make copies for any of the digital photo-frames, I resize them to the native resolution of the photo-frame. They load faster that way, and no loss in quality. And they take up less space, but that's not usually a consideration, given how cheap SD cards are.

I photographed and scanned a much (much, much, much!) smaller selection of stuff that I found at my Mom's after she passed. I put it all up on a shared google drive and emailed the cousins (there was stuff going back to our grand Aunts/Uncles, and grand and great-grand parents). Got a few comments, but I doubt anyone spent too much time looking at them. But it made it easier for me to trash/donate any of this stuff that took up much room before our move.

-ERD50

I use a Pacific Image film scanner with Digital ICE to scan my old negatives and slides. It takes about 2 minutes per slide or individual negative picture to scan with Digital ICE processing which removes scratches and dust automatically. If I do a straight scan it takes about 15 seconds per slide/picture. I don't know of any faster method of scanning old slides/negatives that yield professional results.

After looking at some examples of scans from the Kodak Scanza, I made an eBay bid, and was surprised to have "won" it for only $75. I scanned 5,571 slides...every one that was in mom's attic, irrespective of the quality (quicker if no decision has to be made).

So below I've attached my test results. The bottom line is that the Scanza is certainly good enough for who it's for (me, hehe!). The flat bed is better, but my criterion was how good it looks when displayed on a 1920x1080 screen, and the two were indistinguishable. Note that I was playing with the white balance, so the colors aren't aligned in the images attached. The Scanza has a serious leaning toward blue that I mostly was able to adjust out, but still, that's poor design of the device. Also poor is the two scanning modes (the "21 MP" mode of the Scanza vs "14MP" mode). The two modes are very similar. My skeptical brain wonders if the marketing department just added that mode to make sure nobody had "better specs". The 14MP is nowhere even close to what a 14MP camera would produce, so I figure those numbers are all about marketing, and nothing to do with the real specs of the device. But, like I said, it was good enough to scan the slides.

A tremendous achievement !

I wonder about the 21MP and 14MP mode, as the resulting size is a jpg, so it seems that would be a different size due to compression of the image.

I had an itns-300 slide scanner, similar to the one you used but without any screen and only 5 MP claimed.
The jpg produced ranged from 1 to 1.8MP it appears the small files were dark photos and the large files were images that had lots of different details.

A tremendous achievement !

I wonder about the 21MP and 14MP mode, as the resulting size is a jpg, so it seems that would be a different size due to compression of the image.

The one labeled "21MP" had a 4.24 MB files size, the "14MP" was 1.21 MB.

Technically, for a given target file size, a higher resolution will provide a higher quality output. The compression algorithms are good, so give them more to work with, and you'll get better output. As OP says, the "21MP" might be an 'optimistic' (or pure BS) spec, so it may make no real difference at screen size.

I had the twisted notion that a high rez file would be harder to compress to X file size, but after reading and thinking about it, that's backwards. Garbage in, garbage out. With high rez, the algorithm can be more selective on what detail it includes. I guess I was thinking "compression means distortion", and the higher compression rates for a large high-rez file would mean more distortion, but that's wrong. Though it would likely take longer to process, but I think that's pretty quick with today's power.

-ERD50

Last edited by a moderator:
... or just wonder about your sanity! :)
The though crossed my mind too, as I was pushing those slides through the scanner.

My thought on the 14MP vs 21MP is that the 21MP mode smooths out the compression artifacts by interpolating between adjacent pixels. So basically it just makes it blurry so you don't see the jaggies. There's no more "information" in the 21MP, and the files were much larger, so I didn't use it. If I want to make a picture blurry, and I can alway apply a guaussian filter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom