New cars with no spare tire or donut

My dad once told me of fixing 24 flats by hand on a trip across two states. Of course that was in a clapped out Model T ca 1930 or so. I never got the details but it didn't sound like a very fun trip.

It must have been an experience driving before the 50s when the interstate roads were modernized. Like a bike tire sharp rocks can flatten your tire and there's no AAA to call. You are truly on your own. Scary.

The only time I ever needed AAA they let me down big time. I stupidly locked my keys in the trunk. They left me stranded on a dark parking lot in a not-so-great part of town for 3 to 4 hours. I will never, NEVER, ever, Ever, EVER pay them another penny. This was pre-cell phone days.

I have a spare and also carry a plug kit and compressor. If you just have a clean nail puncture, you can sometimes plug it right on the car. It'll get you to a safe place, at least.

The only time I ever needed AAA they let me down big time. I stupidly locked my keys in the trunk. They left me stranded on a dark parking lot in a not-so-great part of town for 3 to 4 hours. I will never, NEVER, ever, Ever, EVER pay them another penny. This was pre-cell phone days.

I have a spare and also carry a plug kit and compressor. If you just have a clean nail puncture, you can sometimes plug it right on the car. It'll get you to a safe place, at least.

During a significant (not epic) snow storm, got stuck in a snow drift. AAA was prioritizing their recoveries. It took 3 days around Christmas. I was not a happy customer. I got the same coverage on my regular insurance policy now. So I dropped AAA like a hot potato. YMMV

AAA has always been reasonably quick for me.
Even when I had a flat on the bike outside Acton with no cell service.
I waved down a car, they took my info, and soon enough a tow showed up.
Or when I backed into a ditch in the dark and got stuck by my daughters house a few miles out of town in Arkansas. On a Sunday night. That one showed up real quick, he must have left town almost immediately. Obviously YMMV.

AAA has always been reasonably quick for me.
Even when I had a flat on the bike outside Acton with no cell service.
I waved down a car, they took my info, and soon enough a tow showed up.
Or when I backed into a ditch in the dark and got stuck by my daughters house a few miles out of town in Arkansas. On a Sunday night. That one showed up real quick, he must have left town almost immediately. Obviously YMMV.

Yeah. I was beginning to think I was the only one that has good luck with AAA. Let's face it. If you are a half hour from anything, on a side road in the boonies, it just might take more than an hour to get to you (happened to me, and it was more like 45 minutes).

When I had a dead battery, on a Sunday (thankfully at home), I told them no rush, anytime this afternoon would be fine. Still there in 45 minutes.

And the app actually gives you real time updates on the driver coming your way.

It must have been an experience driving before the 50s when the interstate roads were modernized. Like a bike tire sharp rocks can flatten your tire and there's no AAA to call. You are truly on your own. Scary.

I think the movie "A Christmas Story" explored that issue to great comedic effect. One of the iconic movie scenes in all of movie history ("I said THE word, the F dash dash dash word")

You can be sure Jean Shepherd drew from his experience as a child in the 30s and 40s. The scene probably isn't far from reality.

As I look forward, I think it will be harder and harder to find the kind of features I like on a car. (Spare tire, no darn screens, no connectivity - other than my darn phone, sedan, etc.)

Luddites unite!

+1
Also I want a key with my next car. Bet that is not even possible.

No spare in DWs new Bolt, just sealant/inflator system but the tires are already supposed to have an internal chemical (slime?) to seal seal punctures.

No spare in DWs new Bolt, just sealant/inflator system but the tires are already supposed to have an internal chemical (slime?) to seal seal punctures.
Seal this:
img_2654-jpg.73261

I carry "sealants" in my tool box but have found they only work "sometimes" on very slow leaks. (Think days) Thinking back, I can't recall ever having it work except once on a slow rim leak on a tractor tire and that took a couple of cans. A plug kit and small air compressor works for me, "most of the time".

My point is, don't depend on a can of fix-a-flat or equivalent sealant to seal and inflate your tire. Of course, YMMV.

I carry "sealants" in my tool box but have found they only work "sometimes" on very slow leaks. (Think days) Thinking back, I can't recall ever having it work except once on a slow rim leak on a tractor tire and that took a couple of cans. A plug kit and small air compressor works "most of the time".

My point is, don't depend on a can of fix-a-flat or equivalent sealant to seal and inflate your tire. Of course, YMMV.

What it WILL do is inflate your tire to a drivable condition. If the seal isn't that great, you'll still make it to a tire store or whatever. Of course, I carry an electric tire pump as the repair places say the slime makes it harder to patch the tire. YMMV

What it WILL do is inflate your tire to a drivable condition. If the seal isn't that great, you'll still make it to a tire store or whatever. Of course, I carry an electric tire pump as the repair places say the slime makes it harder to patch the tire. YMMV
Maybe.... However, I used a supersized can of fix-a-flat and it didn't work for me last week when I got a small nail hole in a new tire. I was down to maybe 20psi when I started using the can... When the can was empty, the tire was completely flat. So good luck if you are depending on it!

Last edited:
I linked a random picture, but it was close to what DW got, twice. Once we were driving along and she swerved to avoid what looked like a crumpled bag. Nope. It was a jagged piece of demolition concrete. Beautifully sliced the sidewall in an instant blow out.

Another time she rubbed a curb near a drain gate. The metal sliced that tire for about 3".

The only option was the spare. I like spares.

I linked a random picture, but it was close to what DW got, twice. Once we were driving along and she swerved to avoid what looked like a crumpled bag. Nope. It was a jagged piece of demolition concrete. Beautifully sliced the sidewall in an instant blow out.

Another time she rubbed a curb near a drain gate. The metal sliced that tire for about 3".

The only option was the spare. I like spares.

Best way to go!

For now, it's like the old country song says, "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was". :)

Along with a friend of similar age, my father did physical work on air conditioners in retail stores as a part-time job into his early 70s.

He said he could work as well as ever for one day, but couldn't do it the next day.

I got a flat tire and it couldn’t be fixed. The roadside assistance guy wrinkled his nose when he saw my donut and told me it didn’t look to good. When I got to the tire shop they said the donut was original to the car so 15 years old. A full size spare cost the same as a new donut so just bought that. I don’t feel comfortable not having a spare tire.

Stuff it full of rags or straw! Oughta get you there.

(That's bad! I haven't seen one like that in years.)

I worked my way through school pumping gas. I recall a woman drove in with a flat tire, pulled her car over to the tire inflator machine, got out and was struggling to inflate her tire. Between pumping gas I walked over to assist but her tire looked like the one in the pic. She gave me a disgusted look and said “this thing’s not working!!!” She didn’t have a spare.

When I got to the tire shop they said the donut was original to the car so 15 years old.
This is a good reminder. My daughter's car is 11 years old, so I'll keep replacing the spare in mind. Over Thanksgiving/Christmas is probably soon enough.

Thank you!

This is a good reminder. My daughter's car is 11 years old, so I'll keep replacing the spare in mind. Over Thanksgiving/Christmas is probably soon enough.

Thank you!

Not sure why you think the spare needs to be replaced. As long as the tire hasn't been exposed to the UV rays of the sun, they will be fine for a lot longer than 11 years.

^^^^^
Yep, I've got a tandem trailer that's only used a couple of times a year and is stored in a garage when not in use. It's >15 years old and the tires look almost new. At this point I wouldn't "like to" carry real heavy loads or pull it to fast but they still work.

Not sure why you think the spare needs to be replaced. As long as the tire hasn't been exposed to the UV rays of the sun, they will be fine for a lot longer than 11 years.

Plus a spare is typically only used to get you to a tire place a day or three later to replace 2 tires (ideally.) I agree than an old spare that came with the car is very likely good (as a spare) for a very long time if its never been used. YMMV

A big reason I recently bought a BMW X5 rather than an X3 was because the X5 has a well under the cargo area specifically for a spare tire and the spare tire kit is available from several sources including the dealer. The X3 has no such provisions.

They could if they wanted to... i think it's mostly about weight and cost savings here vs. any design limitations unless we're talking hybrid where batteries take up space. My old '02 330i had a FULL SIZE spare in the trunk and it was the same 17" wheel the car had - not a crappy steel wheel. These days - run-flats and that's just by choice.

Seal this:
img_2654-jpg.73261
Reminds me of the time in the Aleutians landing in a Supercub on the beach, blowing out a tire. Naturally small planes do not have spares.
Got my w*rk done, helped pilot gather a bunch of Tundra, stuffing the tire full, apply many layers of 100 mile an hour tape (Duct Tape). then took off, flew back to Sand Point, landed successfully, duct tape still intact.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom