New cars with no spare tire or donut

Run flat tires is good, when you get flat tire in an area or in the night where you feel not safe to stop. You just keep driving slowly to the nearest tire shop.

I’ve heard run flat tires have a stiff sidewall that will give a harsh ride, when properly inflated.

I don’t like the trend.

But I’ve been driving for 50 years and I’ve had one flat - fortunately back when cars had spares, and I had us back on the road in less than 10 minutes. And these days it seems most people don’t know how to change a flat tire and wouldn’t anyway, so if you’re going to call a service anyway, having a spare isn’t that important. I suspect lots of people weren’t checking their spares, and when they needed it, there wasn’t enough air pressure. Plus car companies saving weight, cost and more cargo space as mentioned by others.

Both our current cars have portable compressors and goo, but I’m not sure I’d use it as it makes replacing the tire even more expensive when the shop has to clean out all that goo…

If I drove off road or somewhere with lots of potholes or debris, I’d get a spare, jack, etc.

Last edited:
I’ve heard run flat tires have a stiff sidewall that will give a harsh ride, when properly inflated.
Yep, but it's not that bad of a ride. I'd call it firmer.

Last edited:
Hate to say this as I don't want to derail my good luck. I have never had a totally deflated flat. I've always had enough air to get me to a tire shop. My current car only came with a tire pump and can of goo. And I too have roadside assistance so will probably keep on going as is.

My 2007 Honda has a donut but luckily never had a need for the spare in 16+ years. The recently purchased Tacoma has a full-size spare and would assume that most trucks still have them.

Lack of a spare tire is the main reason I recently bought a Honda instead of a BMW. And it isn't just the lack of the spare. Although there are places you can buy a spare tire and wheel that fits, the lack of anywhere to store it safely in some brands, is another issue.

It's not something you're likely to need very often, but if I ever get another flat tire, I want the security on knowing I can be back on the road in ten minutes or less, and not have to depend on anyone else.

Just temporarily parking on the shoulder of an interstate highway these days is a huge risk with all the inattentive drivers staring at their phones.

The other issue is the odd tire sizes that some manufacturers use. If you do shred a run flat sidewall and need a new tire, no one wants to be inconvenienced waiting for tire shops to open and waiting several days trying to source a tire before you can resume your trip.

I hope some of these companies wake up and realize they are losing sales because of this ridiculous cost cutting initiative.

Last edited:
I'm not a tire expert but from my POV with the steel belted technology of many/most tires today, they are much more puncture resistant. Not puncture proof but very resistant. If you have ever tried to repair a nail holed in steel belted tire you'll know what I mean. I have and I've need to use a hammer to force the plug through on tires these days. And yes, it does work.

... I suspect lots of people weren’t checking their spares, and when they needed it, there wasn’t enough air pressure. ....

And if you do have a spare, it's often tucked away such that it isn't easy to check the pressure. And I've never had a quick oil change place check my spare.

I'm pretty OCD about stuff like this, and even I don't check as often as I should (my spare is mounted "up side down", so I have to pull it out to check the pressure). Having a flat spare isn't much help, unless you have an inflation that can handle it (many of them are for topping off, they'll overheat and shut down trying to pump from zero). And if being totally flat means the tire has separated from the rim, those little things won't have enough volume to push that seal back.

-ERD50

I'm not a tire expert but from my POV with the steel belted technology of many/most tires today, they are much more puncture resistant. Not puncture proof but very resistant. If you have ever tried to repair a nail holed in steel belted tire you'll know what I mean. I have and I've need to use a hammer to force the plug through on tires these days. And yes, it does work.

I know what you're talking about. The hardest part of that job is getting that tool through the tire. You have to push like crazy to get it through. It can take me 15 minutes to do this. After I'm done my hands ache. I wish they would make some sort of drill attachment. The system works real well. I fixed a lot of tires and I have never failed yet.

one of the dumbest things car manufacturers have done

I am with you. What are they thinking.

First of all, run flats are fine and are good for about 50 miles if you puncture one -- good enough to get to a tire repair center. My last car, a BMW X1 had them and I was comfortable with them. I think I experienced two flats in the five years I owned the BMW and managed fine

My current care is a Nissan Leaf and has no spare. Nissan gives you one of those tubes that refill the tire. Totally unacceptable. For one thing, once you use that gunk in your tire, it can not be fixed, so you have to get a new tire.
I have had my Leaf for three years now and have had 2 flats -- luckily both were within a few hundred feet of a tire dealer, so I was ok. But the anxiety has gotten to me, and I am going to invest in a spare tire and rim and jack when I get back from Europe. (I leave tomorrow)

There are a couple of firms that market spare tires/rims and jacks for cars like mine...one firm is called Modern Spare. And Amazon has a bunch of listings for the same thing. For about $400 or so, they will ship you the tire/rim and a jack. When I get back I am going to go to my tire dealer and ask for a quote on a new tire/rim and compare it to the online prices and go with the best price. The peace of mind will be far worth the cost. I figure my luck has run out in terms of where the next flat occurs....probably somewhere where I will have to have my car towed

We live in the snow belt. Learned to drive on a standard and so glad that I did. When my spouse was taking driving lessons she did so on a standard. We prefer a standard in the winter and in very hilly areas. That sad part is even here in the snow belt many people never think of shifting their automatic down to 2nd or 3rd gear.

Knowing how to drive a standard has saved years of agro at car rental agencies and an incredible amount of money on non NA car rentals over the past 40 years.

My spouse asked me to teach her how to change a tire. Where the jack and the spare was located, etc. And what the tire inflation should be and to always check to oil before a trip no matter what the gauge shows. All part of knowing how to operate a vehicle.

Why...because she never wanted to be the dopey female beside the road, not even knowing where the jack and spare were located, waiting for someone to stop and help her.

Only had to use it once but that once was on a mountain highway 80KM from the nearest service.

I'm fine with no spare on our chevy bolt, and I'm glad the big pickup truck does have a spare. FWIW the military's HMMWV didn't come with a spare tire, and didn't have a standard mount for one, but did (and does) come with runflat tire assemblies (a combination of the tire and a structure inside the rim to keep it rolling). It was all fine until TSHTF in Afghanistan and Iraq...then the spare tire became a thing. Not sure if it still is...

Run flats suck.

They suck when they aren't flat and they suck more when they're flat.

They suck all the time.

Run flats suck.

They suck when they aren't flat and they suck more when they're flat.

They suck all the time.

+1. Run flats were on my corvette when I bought it new in 2001. Very noisy and stiff. Got rid of them and got Goodyear eagles. But no spare. Had a plug kit, slime and a portable generator. Still never felt comfortable driving that car far from home. Luckily had it 20 years without a flat.

I am with you. What are they thinking.

First of all, run flats are fine and are good for about 50 miles if you puncture one -- good enough to get to a tire repair center. My last car, a BMW X1 had them and I was comfortable with them. I think I experienced two flats in the five years I owned the BMW and managed fine

My current care is a Nissan Leaf and has no spare. Nissan gives you one of those tubes that refill the tire. Totally unacceptable. For one thing, once you use that gunk in your tire, it can not be fixed, so you have to get a new tire.
I have had my Leaf for three years now and have had 2 flats -- luckily both were within a few hundred feet of a tire dealer, so I was ok. But the anxiety has gotten to me, and I am going to invest in a spare tire and rim and jack when I get back from Europe. (I leave tomorrow)

There are a couple of firms that market spare tires/rims and jacks for cars like mine...one firm is called Modern Spare. And Amazon has a bunch of listings for the same thing. For about $400 or so, they will ship you the tire/rim and a jack. When I get back I am going to go to my tire dealer and ask for a quote on a new tire/rim and compare it to the online prices and go with the best price. The peace of mind will be far worth the cost. I figure my luck has run out in terms of where the next flat occurs....probably somewhere where I will have to have my car towed
I had run flats on my BMW too. Sidewall blew out. Stranded.

my 2021 honda accord hybrid did not come with a spare. however the trunk is the same as a non-hybrid accord which does come with a spare. I drive from MN to AZ so there is no way i am driving without a spare. I purchased everything that comes in the trunk of the non-hybrid. the spare, jack, foam insert to fit around the spare and hold the jack and other tools. I thought of this as part of the cost of the car. cost was about $300.

I would not buy a car without a spare tire. That being said we have 2 (2019 and 2020) Hyundai Santa Fe(s) each with less than 13k miles that have a full size spare tire located under the cars. I guess we are safe to stop looking for another car anytime soon.
We also carry a tire plug kit just in case.

Cheers!

I retired from auto manufacturing in 2020. The trend of deleting the spare and other cost down actions were well underway.
I suppose it depends on ones individual situation and comfort level.
I have a couple of vehicles that don't have a spare.
Personally I feel comfortable driving without one in the situations I usually travel in.
Unless a roadside tech or the highway patrol stopped to assist me I wouldn't feel safe anyhow changing a tire on a busy highway with distracted drivers.
Our motor coach didn't come with one either.
I purchased a spare for it but only pack it when I know we are going to be really off the beaten path.

There is a new tire technology that should be mainstreamed within the decade.
Airless.

Trunks is little bitty nowadays.

If we had a car it would not all fit.

Even so:
itPWQEEl.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Pal bragged about his run-flat tires, and criticized people who won't spend the money for them.

Ended up tearing a patch out of the tire when his right rear tire hit a hole in a parking lot. The car had a doughnut and some kind of folding jack in the trunk, but he couldn't get the jack to open.

Good thing a 40-plus-year AAA member was with him. AAA put the doughnut on, and he was able to get to Firestone for a new tire.

both of our Toyotas have full size spares.

my 2021 honda accord hybrid did not come with a spare. however the trunk is the same as a non-hybrid accord which does come with a spare. I drive from MN to AZ so there is no way i am driving without a spare. I purchased everything that comes in the trunk of the non-hybrid. the spare, jack, foam insert to fit around the spare and hold the jack and other tools. I thought of this as part of the cost of the car. cost was about $300.

$300 for the spare tire and all its parts is dirt cheap. I'm surprise it don't cost $800 or $1000 like other car parts.

Our "normal" cars have donut spares, our four Corvettes over the last 20 years came with runflats.

Runflats cost a little more and ride a little stiffer, but modern runflats are reasonably comfortable.

With regular tires, a flat makes you stop right now. Maybe on a bridge or narrow road with no shoulder, at night or in a bad neighborhood.
With runflats, you stop when you want to. Just slow down and take it easy.

Continued driving on a flat runflat will ruin the tire and it can't be repaired, typical numbers are 25-50 miles. But you make the choice of when to stop.
If you choose to continue on the runflat, you can usually go a long way.
Several years ago I asked the question of "How far can I actually drive on a flat runflat?" on an internet forum. About 15 people responded, none of them had the flat runflat come apart from continuing to drive, the "winner" drove something like 400 miles on the flat and only stopped because he got home. Some even had chunks missing you could put your hand into.

We carry one of those plug-in compressors in the trunk of each car, we've used it several times to air up a slow leak often enough to prevent damage while we drive to a tire shop or to home.

Back
Top Bottom