New scam?

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
In my mailbox today was a "postcard" size notice that I have a parcel being held for some reason (2nd notice). I have no parcels coming outside of an Amazon delivery. This postcard has a real stamp on it and the address label (covered by me) is a stick on label with my name and address along with a parcel number.

Oh, I never got a first notice!

Thoughts on this being a scam?

Parcel scam.jpg

Have you typed the phone number into Google and see what results?

I just tried it and there were no results. Probably not a legitimate post office phone number.

A notice from the USPS would have their logo. Same with UPS or FedEx.

I would report to the USPS because it is mail fraud.

Last edited:
No names, instead it says "This Office".

That's trash. Shred it.

The 936 area code on the card is a local one. I had no intentions of calling this number.

The google article says they get your information.

What bothers me is there's also a good chance that if people call and give it up, they still get sent a piece of junk, some TEMU-like piece of garbage. So like the movie "The Sting", they never even realize anything even happened.

A notice from the USPS would have their logo. Same with UPS or FedEx.

I would report to the USPS because it is mail fraud.

Yes, this is more than spam, it is mail fraud, which is not treated lightly.

Considering it's probably a scam, aka fraud. Wouldn't that make it mail fraud.
Which is probably a Federal offense.
If we had postal workers who really cared they would investigate it.
Doesn't seem too hard to investigate, just call the phone number...

I wonder if the stamp is counterfeit because mailing out lots of those would cost some $$.

Considering it's probably a scam, aka fraud. Wouldn't that make it mail fraud.
Which is probably a Federal offense.
If we had postal workers who really cared they would investigate it.
Doesn't seem too hard to investigate, just call the phone number...

I wonder if the stamp is counterfeit because mailing out lots of those would cost some $$.

It's a real stamp used for postcards. If it wasn't, it would not have made it through the postal scanners.

It's a real stamp used for postcards. If it wasn't, it would not have made it through the postal scanners.

Yes, but coming from "this office" and "headquarters for all parcels"? Give me a break!

Scam. Toss it. A new one (for me) has been repeated texts about my UPS parcel being held. I'm not clicking on that toad.

When I google, there seems to be a lot of interesting articles about how the post office knows fake stamps are being sold...
  • But detecting them is pretty much impossible as they look real.
  • There are no serial numbers on each.
  • I just checked all my stamps which I bought at the post office building, and none of them glow under UV light. Mine are 1 -> 5 years old.

So why wouldn't they get through the mail postal scanners ??

The 936 area code on the card is a local one. I had no intentions of calling this number.
I'm in the 936 area code.. No, I didn't send it... I suspect for a fee, they will release your parcel. :)

I get these as emails all the time "we are holding your package in our warehouse because we need your shipping information" Most show a box with a label like yours did. The give away is usually the email address. Received one today from USPS that had a hotmail address.

I get these as emails all the time "we are holding your package in our warehouse because we need your shipping information" Most show a box with a label like yours did. The give away is usually the email address. Received one today from USPS that had a hotmail address.
I was about to add something similar. We received an email yesterday that had the same "package hold" message. But in our case, it was being tagged as spam/junk already.

Scam it seems obviously. But certainly a percentage of recipients do fall for it so they still send them.

Let's assume the stamp is real. We know the card it is attached to is real. These cost money, much more than email. At a minimum the card stock and printing cost somebody something.

With that in mind, I think our OP aja8888 should "go to yellow alert and put shields up." OP is on some sort of target list. Probably nothing he did, but perhaps age, location and estimated income has targeted him for scams that require more resources to pull off.

Dial *67 before the number to block/hide your number from them. I bet they don’t answer!

First, I’d talk to my mailman about the postcard. They see a lot and are the closest thing to an inside track on it you got.

Second, your Postmaster. Report it.

“The only thing necessary for evil to triumph in the world is that good men do nothing.”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom