New scam?

You gotta love the “Headquarters for all parcels”. I would personally take this to the “Department of Paper Mail” and make them aware of the scam.

Yep, another dead giveaway. The word "headquarters" would never be used in this way by a legitimate gov't agency, but the scammers clearly think it will sound very official and authoritative to their target audience.

Ok, my brother received one like this last week and fell for it, assuming it was from a legitimate parcel delivery service, but didn’t notice that this “Final Notice” wasn’t specifically mentioning USPS or UPS. So he called the number, and . . . the person answering was a salesman attempting to sell a water softening service or something like that.

Thank you for the confirmation of what I had suggested above -- ie that there is not necessarily anything fraudulent here, but just misleading marketing practices.

-gauss

...there is not necessarily anything fraudulent here, but just misleading marketing practices.

Yes, it's fraud. A con game. Trying to collect money by misrepresentation.

Marketing is promoting a legitimate product or service. That is not the case here.

Received this from a friend and thought it was worth passing on:

I just got a call from a 304 area code. Thinking it was someone I know in WV, I answered. It was a man claiming to be from customer service (didn't say what company, only "customer service")
The first thing he asked was "Can you hear me?" I remembered something I saw on Facebook saying people are calling and asking if you can hear them, then using the recording of your "Yes" reply as a way to sign you up for all kinds of stuff. So I replied "I hear you" to which he again asked "so you can hear me?"
Me: I hear you
Him: I just need a yes or no
Me: I hear you
Him: *hangs up*
Thanks to whoever posted that story. I probably would have answered Yes the 1st time he asked.

I have heard of the "yes" or "no" scam. Today I got an email from a normal sounding name asking me if I shopped on Amazon. That went in the trash.

That seems like a bit of a silly scam. They are already breaking the law if they sign you up using a recording you did not authorize, so why don't they just sign you up anyway?

I don't get the need for the yes recording.

That seems like a bit of a silly scam. They are already breaking the law if they sign you up using a recording you did not authorize, so why don't they just sign you up anyway?

I don't get the need for the yes recording.

Agreed that it's odd but the FCC sent out a warning about it back in 2017, so there is probably something to it.

Received this from a friend and thought it was worth passing on:

Wonder what would have happened if your friend just kept saying “no”. Would have been funny if the guy would have kept raising his voice until he was yelling.

Back
Top Bottom