NFL 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
... This is 49ers year. Brock Purdy is MVP. This year will start a dynasty for the 49ers.

...IMO Purdy's out of the running after 4 interceptions tonight... Purdy is still a very good QB, just not good as you think that he is.

His QBR in last night's game was 8.0 ... it is hard to get much lower than that.

His QBR in last night's game was 8.0 ... it is hard to get much lower than that.

Nothing like a wake up call to shave off the glow of past successes! He's still good, but really had a bad day. MVP top candidate? Maybe not this year.

Nothing like a wake up call to shave off the glow of past successes! He's still good, but really had a bad day. MVP top candidate? Maybe not this year.
I was really surprised at his performance last night (stayed awake for the whole game for a change) - after seeing several of his truly stellar performances in past games. Even the greatest QBs crumble under consistent (rush) pressure. Even Mahomes and Jackson can't save every play.

All the contenders seem to have faltered in the past few weeks. Cowboys, 49ers, Ravens, Eagles and others. This was not a year where anyone was going to threaten an undefeated season I guess. It was surprising to watch the Eagles lose 3 straight. It was surprising to see Purdy throw 4 interceptions (plus 1 from Darnold), some tipped/deflected or not. To watch the Lions lose to the Bears. For the Cowboys to collapse to the Bills. The Chiefs have been really spotty this year, Mahomes 31.6 QBR vs the Raiders and 63.1 YTD - huh?

I was more surprised the Lions came back to win the first game against the Bears late in the fourth quarter with multiple scores.

So no one is talking about how the Lions were robbed last night?
That was a circus of an ending, three tries, but it's not clear the Lions got robbed. There might not have been any question if three Lions (#58, #68, #70) hadn't all approached the ref together (probably to confuse the Cowboys, backfired?), just asking for a possible misunderstanding out on the field. And Decker lined up in the tackle position with a tight end outside him, is that an ever an eligible position report or not (I'm not sure)?

Last edited:
That was a circus of an ending, three tries, but it's not clear the Lions got robbed. There might not have been any question if three Lions (#58, #68, #70) hadn't all approached the ref together (probably to confuse the Cowboys, backfired?), just asking for a possible misunderstanding out on the field. And Decker lined up in the tackle position with a tight end outside him, is that an ever an eligible position report or not (I'm not sure)?

The refs are supposed to announce any lineman who reports as a eligible receiver. I did not hear any announcement before the play.

Here is the referee who was involved explaining, after the game, what happened:

As a Detroiter and a Lions fan, we’re used to it. There were way more points that were given up during the game. Look at the missed tackle that lead to the first touchdown. Look at going for it on fourth down when they were about five yards from the end zone.

But, this year we have a coach that has guts and it was exciting to see him go for it. I was yelling at the tv to kick the extra point but no, he’s there to win. In the big picture, I doubt it cost us a position in the playoffs. We’re in third and needed other teams to loose to improve that standing. By any account, it’s been a great year to be a Lions fan. It sucks that any game is decided by an officiating mistake. I thought reply review would take care of that, but it doesn’t fix everything - Just ask Mahomes.

49ers have clinched the #1 seed in the NFC... Philly's slide continues. The Eagles will be in the playoffs, but may not go very far.

As a Detroiter and a Lions fan, we’re used to it. There were way more points that were given up during the game. Look at the missed tackle that lead to the first touchdown. Look at going for it on fourth down when they were about five yards from the end zone.

But, this year we have a coach that has guts and it was exciting to see him go for it. I was yelling at the tv to kick the extra point but no, he’s there to win. In the big picture, I doubt it cost us a position in the playoffs. We’re in third and needed other teams to loose to improve that standing. By any account, it’s been a great year to be a Lions fan. It sucks that any game is decided by an officiating mistake. I thought reply review would take care of that, but it doesn’t fix everything - Just ask Mahomes.

It made sense to go for the win. The Lions can do no worse than the #3 seed whether they won or loss, so it made sense to go for a win, better odds with seconds left than going with a tie into overtime.

Ravens look really good....where's our resident SF fan who was making all those predictions about SF and Purdy being MVP?

I was a little surprised to see the Ravens embarrass the Dolphins too. Jackson is the MVP at the moment, one more week to go.

The Eagles are looking like they’ll exit the playoffs early. My guess for the Superbowl is a Ravens/Lions matchup with Ravens winning. But I’m not putting any money on it.

Congratulations to the Carolina Panthers for solidly clinching last in the league with a shutout against yesterday. What a lousy team and lousy organization. Their owner is even a sour fan, throwing stuff at the other team's fan base. Not cool.

The unprepared award goes to the Vikings who pretty much played a pre-season game against the Packers on Sunday night. As soon as the Vikings coach named the rookie QB who has hardly played all year as the starter, I pretty much knew the game was over before it began.

AFC playoff teams are settled, though not all of the seeding.

Congrats to the Texans, no one expected them to take the AFC South. Jaguars just choked down the stretch, losing 5 of their last 6 games.

Pittsburgh was the other surprise team, helped at bit Saturday as the Ravens rested many of their starters. Tomlin continues his streak of never having a losing season.

Both Cowboys and Eagles might be distracted, playing with one eye on the scoreboard. But, they are both playing awful teams, so it likely won't make much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom