Non-cash prizes you have won

Free trip for two to NYC in 2001 for winning 1 million points in Disney World's version of the "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?" quiz show. It also came with a pile of kitschy pins and clothing. (Winning question: Who won the 2001 Women's Open in golf? Karrie Webb.)

On wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Wants_to_Be_a_Millionaire_%E2%80%93_Play_It!

The trip was arranged by Disney to line up with a taping of the real show. Attempt #1 was derailed by 9/11. Another by a change in the taping schedule. Then the ratings sagged and they didn't need to tape as many shows and we were in limbo for a while.

DW and I eventually said no to seeing the show but yes to the trip. We had a great time.

Last edited:
Back in 1989 a local ski area opened up to mountain biking, and I went up with my DBF for the opening weekend. I remember how strange it was to buy a ski lift ticket, then find a good place to attach it to your bike. The opening events included a route-finding race, and I came in second place, winning a yellow water bottle.

Seven or eight years ago I entered a raffle in a Nordstrom's shoe department, and won a pair of Hunter rain boots. I had no need for them, so I sold them to a coworker for $80, who wanted them for mucking out her horse's stall. Classy lady!

In 2000-2001 several women in my then-new neighborhood organized monthly Bunko dice game nights. It was also an excuse to get together and drink a little too much wine[emoji16].

Every participant had to bring a roll of toilet paper. The winner for the night took home all 12 rolls of toilet paper. I won the 12 rolls, thankfully only once.

This morning I was notified that I won a diving light from Aggressor Adventures. It's a freaking $800 dive light! See here: https://www.aggressor.com/pages/contests

We went to Kona with Aggressor fleet right before Covid, and we have booked Cocos Island a year from now and The Nile/Red Sea in 2023 with them.

Funny thing is we got the promo email a while back and I entered the sweepstakes once. DW entered just about every day - I won. Another funny thing was the email I received said:

1st Place - U.S. Grant (MD)

The contest was through Gleam.io, a common sweepstakes site, which I had used in the past with my Steam username.

The winery I work at won winery of the year, 2021, for our AVA. I feel a small part of making that happen.
I was also chosen at random out of the crowd for a years worth of cell phone usage from Verizon at an NFL football game. I think they even gave me a phone.
When I was a kid I won a STP racing jacket after an auto show I attended.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom