Odd Quirk in Excel

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am trying to make a simple valuation matrix for Loews Corp. When I list CNA in a cell, Excel transforms it to "CAN". No matter what formatting I have tried, it still happens. I could just ignore it, but I would prefer to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Ha

How about entering this in the cell:

=CONCATENATE ("C", "N", "A")

Then optionally you can highlight that cell, and select "Copy" and then "Paste Special" -> "Values". That would remove the formula and just leave "CNA" as the contents of the cell.

How about entering this in the cell:

=CONCATENATE ("C", "N", "A")

Then optionally you can highlight that cell, and select "Copy" and then "Paste Special" -> "Values". That would remove the formula and just leave "CNA" as the contents of the cell.

Works! Thanks!

Ha

Don't type "HSA" either or you would get "HAS".

You can modify a setting to turn off auto-correct. From excel 2003 help:

Change spelling options for automatic corrections

1. On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options.
  2. On the AutoCorrect tab, do any of the following:
    • To add a new AutoCorrect entry, type the text that you want in the Replace and With boxes, and then click Add.
    • To edit an AutoCorrect entry, click it in the list, type the text that you want in the With box, and then click Replace.
    • To delete an AutoCorrect entry, click it in the list, and then click Delete.

In Excel 2007 click on the Office button. Top right
At the bottom of the drop down menu you will see 'Excel Options' click
near the top there is a 'Autocorrect options' button click
There is a list of words that auto correct, Find cna and delete it.

Don't type "HSA" either or you would get "HAS".

You can modify a setting to turn off auto-correct. From excel 2003 help:

Change spelling options for automatic corrections

1. On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options.
  2. On the AutoCorrect tab, do any of the following:
    • To add a new AutoCorrect entry, type the text that you want in the Replace and With boxes, and then click Add.
    • To edit an AutoCorrect entry, click it in the list, type the text that you want in the With box, and then click Replace.
    • To delete an AutoCorrect entry, click it in the list, and then click Delete.

Been there, done that. Took me a bit to figure out.

Yes, turn off every "helpful" feature in Office that you can find. They get in your way and will confound you unless you are doing exactly what the authors anticipated you would be doing. And they do not anticipate you wanting to enter CNA instead of Can. Nope, you would *never* want to do that. :whistle:

Also, look to see if there are any "auto complete" or "auto sequence" functions enabled. I've seen these take a phone number and change it from 555-1234 to 555-1235 when copied and pasted. Try figuring out why your pasted info is different from the copied info at 2AM on a deadline sometime....

At work, they would want to "re-image" my drive whenever there was a problem. It took me days each time to find all these and get them reset the way I wanted. I like being my own IT guy.

-ERD50

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom