Owning a Condo (+/-)...

I would think the major risk in buying a condo now would be now and future empty units. Behind in HOA fees and special assessments could create a problem. It will also depress future selling prices for years.

Thanks to all that have responded thus far to this thread.

We looked at several units for sale (ugh!) and still looking at possibilities for rental (per suggestions on moving our son to the "next step").

While we're fortunate to take either course of action (the primary goal, to move him out of his current "shared" apartment), we're still not satisfied that we know enough to make a decision at this point.

A question for the forum. Would it make sense to get a "buyer's agent" involved at this time?

If so, how do you select one, along what would be the expectations of such a resource.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

There is no harm asking others about their experience with RE agents who worked with them on the 'buy' side, and also ask what home inspector they used (yes, you want an inspection of a condo). When you are ready to buy many RE agents will have quit the business so the list you build now will likely have a lot of cross-offs. Go back to your buyer list to see if the home inspector really did a good job.

However, I wouldn't have any agent start showing me places now because you aren't in the market at the moment. It isn't fair to the agent, or for the home sellers who disrupt their household to show their home. [We recently sold our home and let me assure you there was at least an hour's cleaning before we left the home when it was shown.]

Start attending open houses (take pictures), asking friends & acquaintances. Look and listen to the comments of others. Start building a file which you can use when you are ready to look, it is amazing how places just seem to blend together after a while. I did this while our house was on the market and eliminated many buildings because of what I learned.

Back
Top Bottom