Votes: 38 30.4%
  • Every 10,000 miles

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Every 15,000 miles

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I don't use 100% synthetic oil

Votes: 12 9.6%

• Total voters
I remember my new 1977 Ford Granada recommended oil change every 7500 miles; that was the first time I had seen a recommendation going beyond the standard 3000 miles. I was too nervous about it so opted to change oil at 5000 mile intervals. Never had a problem with that car, for whatever that means.
With my current cars, I changed at recommended 10,000 intervals.
We are driving less, now, so I'll use the 2nd recommendation of every 12 months.

On my truck, I drive more than 5K per year and I change it at every 5K mainly because it’s an easy number to remember. That results in about two changes per year. My other car doesn’t get many miles on it. I change that one once per year no matter the miles. I did have one year where it only got a few hundred miles on it and thought about not changing the oil, but ended up doing it anyway because the warranty (still in effect) says at least every year.

I always use a 100% synthetic.

My 2019 Highlander recommends synthetic change at 10,000 and rotation every 5000. I do both at 10,000.

I had to look at the manual. It's a little vague, but it sounds like you are supposed to do the following, in order of importance:

https://assets.sia.toyota.com/publications/en/omms-s/T-MMS-19Highlander/pdf/T-MMS-19Highlander.pdf

1) Change the oil if the oil-minder light comes on.

2) Under 'Special Operating Conditions ', change the oil at 5,000 miles (even if oil-minder has not activated), reset the oil-minder.

3) Under 'Normal Operating Conditions ', change the oil at 10,000 miles (even if oil-minder has not activated), reset the oil-minder.

That's different from other cars I've owned or knew about. The oil-minder takes into account the 'special conditions' - cold starts, hot, high-rpm driving, etc. Our 2011 Honda CRV does have the additional requirement of changing the oil once/year if light does not come on, I guess they can't measure that, there is no battery backed real-time-clock (you lose time if the car battery is disconnected).

I agree it is a long video, but the guy (a certified Toyota mechanic) cites a number of examples (a few? more than a few?) of excessive levels of oil consumption in high mileage Toyota engines. He attributes these to 10K oil change intervals as discussed above.

BS or no? As I said, I've been following his YouTube channel on Toyotas for a while and he seems credible to me.

Yes, hard to say w/o a real study, but I'm still going to lean with the crowd that says Toyota would not risk their reputation over this - what's to be gained? They'd actually rather have you come in for more oil changes.

Another data point, but on a fleet - I know someone who had a fleet of diesel trucks for their service business (each truck had to travel to the home). Lots of idling, short drives (but I guess once warmed up for the day, they probably stayed hot for the day, so only one cold start most days?). These trucks took gallons (not quarts) of engine oil, so it was worth it for the owner to actually have an oil sample tested to gauge when to change it. I forget the actual numbers, but he could go way past the recommendations before the oil showed enough degradation to warrant a change.

I saw similar comments on a GM thread, some people would have the oil tested when the light came on (which might be 10,000 miles), and the oil still tested well within limits.

Did the guy in the video have any Toyota oil tested at 10,000?

-ERD50

Just realized this is a zombie thread - dead for over 15 years before yesterday's resurrection!

As it happens this thread started the year we got our first Toyota Prius (2007) and from that point on I have only ever had the oil changed once a year during the annual service which happens to be about 10k miles on average.

I have just had our current Prius in for its annual service and while waiting watched one of the promotional/information videos showing on one of the TV screens. For a Prius it stated that the engine only runs 50% of the time, and if that is typical of other hybrids then an oil change at 10k miles means that the engine has only done 5k.

Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Just realized this is a zombie thread - dead for over 15 years before yesterday's resurrection!
:eek:

Chuckanut - why resurrect?

Why not? The topic is still relevant, and 15 year old history might be interesting.

Hmmm, though it looks like only Texas Proud is still posting from that group.

-ERD50

Costco uses synthetic so that's what my vehicles get. The Maintenance minder on my Honda/Acura products has quite a long time between changes. Two of the vehicles have over 125k miles and the other has over 250k miles. Subaru interval is 6k and Hyundai even shorter at 4k which seems ridiculous.

I have just had our current Prius in for its annual service and while waiting watched one of the promotional/information videos showing on one of the TV screens. For a Prius it stated that the engine only runs 50% of the time, and if that is typical of other hybrids then an oil change at 10k miles means that the engine has only done 5k.

Interesting point.

Our Highlander hybrid's engine runs considerably more than 50% of the time, I'd estimate 70% to 80%, depending on how much city vs highway driving we do. That would mean if I do a 5K oil change the engine would have run only 3.5k to 4k miles.

Maybe I'll walk on the wild side and go to 6K oil changes! :LOL:

I change the oil and oil filter in my 2019 Honda Pilot when the maintenance minder says to. That works out to about 7,500 miles using the OEM specified synthetic oil. About the same for my 2014 Accord hybrid.

I do the same with my 2007 Honda which has never had synthetic oil -- minder typically shows around 7500 miles for oil/filter change. May switch to a synthetic blend next oil change as it is becoming more difficult to find dino oil.

My previous 1992 Toyota truck was well before the synthetic age but oil changes still averaged around 7500 miles. With over 252,000 miles when sold, truck ran great and no noticeable oil usage between changes.

Last edited:
I'm still undecided what I will be doing with my new vehicle--2022 Kia Seltos LX. Owner's manual says full synthetic every 7500 miles. That could potentially take 2 years, at least one full year. Do I still go 7500 miles even if I don't drive much? Do I do every 6 months or every year regardless of miles? Not sure.

I'm still undecided what I will be doing with my new vehicle--2022 Kia Seltos LX. Owner's manual says full synthetic every 7500 miles. That could potentially take 2 years, at least one full year. Do I still go 7500 miles even if I don't drive much? Do I do every 6 months or every year regardless of miles? Not sure.
Surprised the manual didn't give a time limit. I wouldn't go beyond one year without an oil change, regardless of mileage.

I change the oil based on the warranty requirements. The manufacturer requires synthetic oil,.
California outlaws dino oil. Now all motor oil sold in California must be synthetic or synthetic blend.

The Youtube guy I mentioned above is quite adamant that the 10,000 mile oil change with synthetic is only good enough to get the car past the power train warranty. If you want your car to last two or three hundred thousand miles, he says change the oil every 5000 miles. Same goes with the extended change intervals for coolant and transmission fluid.

Since I want to drive my car to the moon (250,000 miles) I will do the oil changes more often.

OTOH, what happens if I take a road trip that goes 7000 miles? Do, I have to stop for an oil and filter change before I get home?

OTOH, what happens if I take a road trip that goes 7000 miles? Do, I have to stop for an oil and filter change before I get home?

I've gotten oil changes on the road a number of times.
And my F-150 computes when it's time to get a oil change dynamically, based on driving patterns, I presume...

Surprised the manual didn't give a time limit. I wouldn't go beyond one year without an oil change, regardless of mileage.

Upon further review, it does say every 12 months or 7500 miles, whichever comes first. So I guess I will be doing it once a year.

I rarely use my 2015 Mazda during this past decade (less than 2,500 miles a year). I only drive it once a week for groceries and some occasionally trips. It gets synthetic oil change once a year. The car will likely break down because of the rust on components like frame or tank from snow and salt and eventually gets too expensive to fix, before I replace it with another car, which was what happened to my 96 Accord.

I feel I can probably get away with oil change once every two years because of the low usage. Both project farm and engineering explained YouTube channels showed that time is much less of a factor than number of heat cycles / mileage that breaks down the additives in the oil. Also the engine won't wear out from not getting used much.

I know it is bad to have car not driven for a long period of time. I figure once a week is fine. But I will start it and let it idle for like 5 mins during the week days (if I remember it).

Last edited:

I know it is bad to have car not driven for a long period of time. I figure once a week is fine. But I will start it and let it idle for like 5 mins during the week days (if I remember it).

A 5 minute start/idle probably does more harm than good. The initial heating creates condensation, and gasoline dilution of the oil, which won't have enough time to evaporate off from a longer, hot run. Until a car warms up, some of the emission controls are running 'open loop', so the amount of fuel, etc isn't controlled like it should be (the O2 sensors only work when hot).

Put a float charger on the battery once in a while if needed. Take it for a longer drive once a month or so, to burn off the condensation and fuel in the oil.

-ERD50

I've gotten oil changes on the road a number of times.
And my F-150 computes when it's time to get a oil change dynamically, based on driving patterns, I presume...

Nice!

Alas, my RAV4 does not compute oil changes. It will scold me if I go past 10,000 miles without having the service indicator reset.

Another interesting thing the Car Nut pointed out is that the new thinner oil used in my car (0W-16) is to be taken seriously. Apparently, the oil pump and other parts of the car touched by oil work best with that oil. That's why while they will permit 0W-20 in an emergency, they want people to switch back to 0W-16 at the next oil change.

Another interesting thing the Car Nut pointed out is that the new thinner oil used in my car (0W-16) is to be taken seriously. Apparently, the oil pump and other parts of the car touched by oil work best with that oil. That's why while they will permit 0W-20 in an emergency, they want people to switch back to 0W-16 at the next oil change.

Saw the same info.

BTW, am I the only one that finds using 0W-16 oil makes it darn near impossible to determine the oil level on the dipstick? Super thin and colorless...

Blackstone Labs....$25.00 oil analysis test (maybe more now). They will send you a sample kit.

What they do:

Will check for metals deterioration (copper, aluminum, iron, etc) - engine wear rate.

Will also give you remaining life of the oil's additive package (TBN life). Very important number!!

Will also give you lubricating and viscosity properties of the oil.

Will check oil pH. (for the diesel guys)

Will also give you zinc and magnesium levels - helps wear properties.

Also will give you an estimate of remaining oil life.

When I ran a diesel to 500,000 miles, I used to send in an oil sample for test near the expected oil life per the vehicle manual.

For those that are interested, do the above. Otherwise do as said in the vehicle's manual. Use good oil and use the correct viscosity.

Last edited:
if you followed the oil-minder (based on total revolutions and temperature).
I would not assume "smart" oil minders abound. According to my BIL, who is a mechanic, they just use miles. I checked the Sienna forum, and it sounded like a dumb minder. My goal was to see how/if there was a way to tell the minder you used synthetic, but, alas, no.

My real answer is "when the car tells me to" but it is around 7-8K so that is what I voted for.

Back
Top Bottom