Poll:Commuting Poll

How do/did you usually get to work, or part time work, or volunteer gig?

• I drive from home and park at or near work and walk

Votes: 82 76.6%
  • I take public transportation and walk

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • I do both, like drive to train or bus and park there

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I combine public trans and bicycle

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I walk the whole way.

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters
I work at home full time. I guess it's good I don't work for Yahoo at this point.

I guess that means I "walk the whole way"... from our bedroom to my home office across the house. :)

I also walk the whole way...from my bedroom to my office which is about 30 ft.

I've been working from home full time since 2005, although I do go into the office on occasion for a workshop or some other silly waste of time meeting.

1. In the US for Megacorp I drove 6 miles each way and parked at work.
2. In the US as a consultant I walked 10 feet from my bedroom to my office.
3. In Indonesia I have a car and driver, and am driven about 7 km each way...20 minutes at 6am and 1 hour at 5pm. Yes, having a driver is nice, but the reason I have to have a driver (company forbids expats to drive here because of traffic, local traffic "rules", and language issues in case of mishap) are not at all nice.

I picked "walk the whole way" because I telecommute. I walk down the hall from my bedroom to my home office in my fuzzy slippers each morning, and back again in the evening. Sometimes there's a terrible traffic jam if both dogs are sleeping on the rug which is right in the middle of the hall. ;)

On the rare occasion I have to go to "the office, it is 10 miles, and I take my own car. But then I have to leave the fuzzy slippers and dogs at home, and then no one is happy.

I live about two miles from my office but walking would involve some sizeable hills and risking life and limb by walking on the berm. It would also involve crossing a four-lane highway. I have a reserved parking spot a half a block from my building, but I do trudge up the 3 flights to my desk to get some exercise.

FIRED since 2007

My daily commute was 10 miles one-way on a 2 lane state highway. Some people liked to drive up my gas tank while I did the speed limit + 3 mph. So I started taking side roads off the state highway to give the jackrabbits [-]jack donkeys[/-] every opportunity to get a speeding ticket on the state highway. I was also concerned that they would unsafely pass me and hit an oncoming car. :nonono:

I set my report time as just early enough to avoid the [-]yellow slugs[/-] school buses on my way in. Once I hit the former base where I w*rked, I had to do exactly 30 mph. :mad: TG for cruise control.

In my previous job, I walked about 300 meters to my office. In my current job, I drive about 3 miles to work ... after I walk with the dog 4 miles for exercise in the morning.

I'm relating to W2R's former commute - I drive...starting early to avoid traffic.... takes 10 minutes to go 6 miles, garage to megacorp parking lot.

Going home can take between 30mins to an hour depending on traffic.

I've used public buses but that info,ves a 1 mile commute to the bus stop at my home end (10 years ago they changed the route - eliminating the leg that went close to my house.). At the work end it's another 1 mile walk. There's a transfer on the bus... so best time is about 1 hour 45 minutes door to door each way. That transpo method is only used when my car is being serviced and hubby or carpool buddy can't give me a ride.

I carpool with a coworker who lives in my neighborhood once a week.

I am retired. During my last decade of work, I did fly to work quite a bit, but that was not included in the options!

Same here. I flew 1200 miles to work at least three times a month for 22 years.

I drove 25 miles to work for most of my working days. That is how I voted. Now I work from home, from other remote locations, and drive to the office about once a week. The commute never really bothered me since most of the time was spent at 60 mph on the interstate. There were rare occasions when I drove to meetings/ job sites that had more than a 2 hour round trip commute. Those were not fun.

I've worked and traveled from a home office my entire career. My commute is just a few feet away on some days but a few hundred miles away on other days. Drive about 35K a year.

Currently drive 15mi roundtrip on surface streets (i.e. no free/tollways). Could use public transit, but it would take 3X longer each way.

Have had longer commutes, did take mass transit for a period in the 80s, and have also carpooled.

Up until 6 months ago I drove on average 210 miles/day. Was in sales. Did that for over 26 yrs. Worked from home but my car was my office. The years before that had high mileage but not that high.

Wow you folks with ample public transportation options are lucky! Even Fuego, I didn't know you'd be able to get to work on the bus at times--living urban has some benefits.

We have virtually no public transport. I don't know anyone who rides the bus, I don't think. Bicycling is very dangerous, to my mind, but I have a couple of friends who have done it in the past, but stopped after the last fatality caused the city to bar bicycles from the main roadway they used for commuting downtown.

My daily drive is 32 miles, door to door. It takes anywhere from 45 minutes to a little over an hour, depending on traffic. I cross 5 rivers and the views are admittedly spectacular on most mornings. It doesn't suck, but I'd be happy not to do it anymore.

I have done it all, but most of my career has been public transportation. At the moment I drive about halfway and take the train for the rest of the distance. The worst was a daily interstate bombing run from central NJ to Greenwich, CT. Don't know how I did that for 3 and a half years.

Yesterday it took me 55 minutes to go 6.5 miles due to traffic. Average speed was less than 10 mph. Gotta love San Diego traffic at rush hour.

Had to think... in my w*rking life, did all of the above. Depending on where and when.

In Maine, hitchhike
In R.I, Electric Bus
In Boston, The MTA... like Charlie
On the Vineyard... bike and ferry
In Claremont NH, shanks mare
In Falmouth MA, bike
In Greenfield, MA... auto - 65,000 miles/yr as dist. mgr. also ... snowmobile
In Saratoga, Albany NY, car
In Chicago Suburb, train, bus, taxi
In Chicago (later) limo, plane (42 states)
Last... IL own business, out of home in 1989

Wow you folks with ample public transportation options are lucky! Even Fuego, I didn't know you'd be able to get to work on the bus at times--living urban has some benefits.

I thought I would hate working downtown when our offices moved down there, but the direct bus from my neighborhood to my office building door was a pleasant surprise. And the employer paid in full for the bus pass (up through 2012). 4 miles, no transfers, 10-12 minutes on the bus. If I time it correctly (ie arrive at the bus stop no more than 1-2 minutes before the bus gets there) taking the bus is actually the quickest way to work since I don't have to walk as much.

Speaking of walking, I wish I had the option to walk the 4 miles to work, or bike them - not an option on the shortest route, and the longer detour routes to downtown have similar impassible points (no shoulder, edge of road up against bridge abutments, pedestrians have to walk in the travel lane with busy traffic going 60 miles per hour, occasional ped deaths occur all too frequently :( ).

Although we are living in an urban area, all I see when I look out the back sliding glass door is a quarter mile of lake, trees, water fowl, a guy fishing, and a canoe. Kind of the best of both worlds (urban and rural) and without a steep price tag.

However today was a day where I was glad to have the car just for the short drive to school. I had to pick up a sick child mid-day, and she probably couldn't have walked the few blocks home based on what happened right after she got here (eww).

Last edited:
My commute takes from a few minutes to a couple of hours, depending on which clinic, hospital or other setting I need to go to.

It takes up to 2 days to reach some cities abroad where I do Missionary work (plane plus car). Maybe 3 days when I go the Altiplano in Bolivia in November/December 2013, when some horse riding may be needed to reach the most remote communities, some of them have never seen a doctor... This Bolivian trip may be my toughest trip ever.

IF you still work, at least part time, or do volunteer work, do you usually drive to work, take public trans, or a combination (Park and Ride). Poll above.

Mod edited to add, according to Haha's request in post #8 below: This poll is for anyone who has ever worked, if you are working now, use that as your reference, if you are retired use the dominant way you commuted during you working days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom