Poll: Early-Retirement.Org Member Demographics

What Stage of Retirement are you in?

• ER Wanna Be, working on it.

Votes: 79 27.0%
  • Comfortably in ER.

Votes: 160 54.6%
  • Was ER'd but now in Retirement (65 or over).

Votes: 54 18.4%

• Total voters
I retired at age 56 and am now 62. Very comfortable and enjoying time with my beautiful grand twins. Life is good! [emoji485]

The name of the Forum "Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community" Loosely implies that the members are ER's and FI, or at least FIREd at some point before being "Officially" retired by conventional standards (65 and not w*rking). However, like anything else, it is subject to one's own interpretation. I think MMM is geared towards Wannabes, vs ERF is geared towards and frequented by those who already are, either conventionally or ER'd. At least that is my interpretation. I think I was right as 70% of us are.
Great point. I found this place at the end of my career. Like after I'd decided to retire and was waiting to give notice! I gave notice two weeks later and retired two weeks after that.

I retired right after I turned 62, I’m now 70. I had been working toward retirement for years, with spreadsheets and so on, LBYM, lots of saving and investing. I joined this group about 15 months before I retired. It’s a very helpful place. One thing I really like is that the group is focused on people who have made a decent living. I’m in another group about aging, and there’s a huge range between people who are financially solvent and people who are trying to make ends meet on $800 a month. It can get ugly. Anyhow, I’m back (went on hiatus for a while).

Interesting so far that 30% of members a Wannabe ER. folk (FIREd). Hopefully they get some good pointers from the rest of us.

I can’t speak for all the wannabes, but I have learned so much from the rest of you. These threads are inspiring as well as informative, and nothing keeps the dream alive more than seeing you all live it in real time. :)

“If they can do it, so can we!”

Not just a wannabe, a wannabesobadIcantasteit

I can’t speak for all the wannabes, but I have learned so much from the rest of you. These threads are inspiring as well as informative, and nothing keeps the dream alive more than seeing you all live it in real time. :)

“If they can do it, so can we!”
Roger that.

Before I joined this forum, I was looking at punching out at 65. My education here has shaved between 4 and 5 years off that.

A blessing on the houses of all the members here for their assistance in my quest to exit the rat race.

Left corporate world early 30s to take care of a parent who had what turned out to be a long, but terminal illness...back on the merry-go-round with another relative ~15 years later.

Was actually planning on going back to work full-time (empty nest as of August) but that's been postponed, so I guess I'm ER...but not entirely by choice.

I really did not want, or think we needed more than 3 categories. The Comfortably in ER was meant to mean anyone self retired for whatever reason before 65. That by general definition was meant to be ER. Then the last, category was really anyone retired at 65 or over.

I voted the last category, but should have voted Comfortably in ER. I retired from my career job at age 53 in 06/06. I took a 3 day a week part-time job 03/10 to finish getting my social security credits. I quit that job in 05/15 as soon as I had my 40 quarters of credit for social security. (I had paid into social security before I started my Federal government career.)

I am 62 and was "forced" to resign last month 3 years before I could get Medicare and 4 years before my full retirement age, yet I feel kind of guilty that I have "retired early". I just feel like I am unemployed and worry about finances every day, even though my husband is thankfully still working at age 64.

I have worked since age 16. 46 years. Didn't I put in enough time? Sigh...

Retired at 56 yrs old in 2015. Planned to retire at that time for approximately 10 years. Super saved for that amount of time, because I couldn't deal with the new, younger co-workers and bosses any longer. The anticipation of early retirement. Propelled me into a wonderful retirement. I do, what I want, when I want, where I want all on my own terms. Sometimes need to convince the wife!! Love the free time! 2 weeks after early retirement, packed up and moved to Florida and the sunshine. No more plowing snow!
Love Retirement!

This poll discriminates against the semi-retired !!! :D

I am offended.

I will now retire to my safe space. My easy chair here in front of the fire.

Now, where did I put my emotional support squirrel ?

A.... Did you look in that little red bottle??

I retired waaaay early at 63. (According to Suze) I am quite happy well over 5 years later while spending about 2.5 times what I thought I would spend in retirement. All is good!

Retired...sort of

I am 67 and had been working part time the last 8 years. Half time. Retired two years ago to take my pension and Canada Pension Plan. Do very limited substitute teaching.

It took me a year to readjust myself to retirement. I never wanted to leave teaching but the financials finally lined up and my husband and I were not getting any younger.

This September we went to Banff for a glorious fall week with no crowds. I have been baking and cooking lots of interesting foods and passing them on to the kids. They are happy and so am I.

We were not big travelers and to tell you the truth...I am enjoying my time in the classroom minus all the responsibilities. I love the little guys....kindergarten to grade 4 but when I go to the high school where I used to work....I am glad I do not have to listen to the complaints anymore. Life is good.

I am 67 and had been working part time the last 8 years. Half time. Retired two years ago to take my pension and Canada Pension Plan. Do very limited substitute teaching.

It took me a year to readjust myself to retirement. I never wanted to leave teaching but the financials finally lined up and my husband and I were not getting any younger.

This September we went to Banff for a glorious fall week with no crowds. I have been baking and cooking lots of interesting foods and passing them on to the kids. They are happy and so am I.

We were not big travelers and to tell you the truth...I am enjoying my time in the classroom minus all the responsibilities. I love the little guys....kindergarten to grade 4 but when I go to the high school where I used to work....I am glad I do not have to listen to the complaints anymore. Life is good.

Nice post.:)

ERed end of June 2108 at age 60. Details in other threads. I am enjoying it very, very, much.

Back
Top Bottom