Poll on Worst Drivers by Automobile Manufacturer

Automotive Poll on Worst Drivers by Manufacturer - Select One or More

• GM (Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, GMC)

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Stellantis (Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, Ram)

Votes: 20 14.6%
  • Ford / Lincoln

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • Honda / Acura

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Toyota / Lexus

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Nissan / Infiniti

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Subaru

Votes: 14 10.2%
  • Fiat

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Mini

• Tesla

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Rivian

• Audi

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Alfa Romeo

• BMW

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • Mercedes Benz

Votes: 17 12.4%
  • Bentley

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Volvo

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Volkswagen

• Hyundai / Kia

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Other

Votes: 11 8.0%

• Total voters
One thing I've also noticed, is that certain types of cars tend to bring out bad behavior in other drivers around them. For instance, when I'm driving my Charger, which is a shade known as "B5 Blue", so it sticks out a bit, it seems to bring out aggression in other drivers. They want to race, or feel like they have to one up me by blowing past me at a high rate of speed, or get up on my tail because well, I guess they expect a car to take off fast. Meanwhile, I'm like c'mon, this is a $50,000 car, and probably the only time I'm ever gonna splurge on something like that!

The car I drove before, my 2003 Regal, which was silver and anonymous, didn't bring out that kind of behavior. And neither does the truck.

I noticed a similar thing years ago, when I bought a '76 LeMans coupe. It's burgundy, has Pontiac Rally 2 wheels on it, and raised white letter tires. Dual exhaust, and a nice deep rumble. But, it just has fairly mild 350 and tall axle ratio, so it's not all that fast. Still, I guess it has enough of a musclecar look, that it would just bring out the bad behavior in other drivers.

I don’t think I notice a particular brand of car associated with bad drivers, per se. It did get me thinking though. I’ve never had a bad driver encounter with someone driving a Prius!

Priuses can be annoying on the occasion when you come up on a driver trying to hyper-mile one, and they basically become a rolling roadblock. I don't know if it's still that common these days, but it used to be a thing, where their drivers would go as slow and gentle as possible, and then brag about the mpg the trip computer was showing.

And they'll do stuff like pull out in front of you, and then take off extra slow because again, they're hypermiling!

I didn't vote because it seems to be a wide variety of makes. Used to be mostly younger people in older cars but now it seems to be just about everyone. There was a stretch where it seemed every Audi driven by a woman was extra bad but overall it is just about anyone and everyone. Pick up trucks are almost always bad but it's not a specific manufacturer.

There is a Maserati driver in my area I see on the freeway about once a month. He appears to think we are all racing him as he exceeds the speed limit while zipping from one lane to another cutting off the slower cars. On day I expect to seem him in a pile of wreckage. In the meantime I avoid such people. They are dangerous.

If there is going to be a slow car in the left lane, blocking traffic, 9/10 times it’s a Subaru.

If there is going to be a slow car in the left lane, blocking traffic, 9/10 times it’s a Subaru.

I thought 9/10 cars in Colorado were Subaru's regardless of what lane they are in.

The Ford F150 and the Chevy Silverado are apparently more popular.

I have only been to CO once and it was over 15 years ago but at that time I saw far more Subaru's than any other vehicle. I was driving one too. With pick up trucks it seems the more modifications it has the worse the driver is. Extra loud exhaust and the driver is insane. Extra high lift and the driver is a moron.

I don’t think I notice a particular brand of car associated with bad drivers, per se. It did get me thinking though. I’ve never had a bad driver encounter with someone driving a Prius!

Yup, Priuses (Priui?)? and Subarus are the usual culprits when stuck well below the speed limit on regular roads, or not passing in the passing lane on highways.

Yup, Priuses (Priui?)? and Subarus are the usual culprits when stuck well below the speed limit on regular roads, or not passing in the passing lane on highways.

The Prius hypermiler thing seemed to be a thing years ago. I haven't noticed it as much lately.

As a Subaru driver, I have to admit that too many of my fellow owners want a "safe" car and think: "I'll drive in the left lane so I don't need to deal with that dangerous merging traffic. That's safer. I am so safe now I can't stand it."

To that I say: shame on you! You are screwing up the cooperative system by your left lane hogging.

Here's a little article on the situation: https://www.forbes.com/sites/lancee...ing-for-ai-self-driving-cars/?sh=5d1faf771732

Keep in mind too that some left-lane hogs are clueless about what they are doing. They perhaps never heard about the left lane as being the fast lane and nor that is a passing lane. It seems bizarre that they have a driver’s license and do not know this, or even without a driver’s license they surely would have gleaned this rule of thumb by having driven on the roadways.

As a Subaru driver, I have to admit that too many of my fellow owners want a "safe" car and think: "I'll drive in the left lane so I don't need to deal with that dangerous merging traffic. That's safer. I am so safe now I can't stand it."

Left lane courtesy is definitely a lost art. I don't know if they even teach it in driver's ed/driving school anymore. I took driver's ed after school back in 1986, and they never taught us about keeping right unless passing.

I didn't learn it until Spring Break, 1987, and I was in 11th grade. My grandparents took me down to Florida to see my Dad, and they let me do a lot of the driving. On the highways, that was the first thing I did, get in the left lane, so that people merging on would have less trouble. They both looked at me like I lost my mind, and taught me pretty quickly.

Now if there's 3 or more lanes, I'll stay out of the right-most lane for the most part, but when there's only two lanes, I'll try to move over for people merging, if I can. But if I can't, I just work with them, either speeding up to get past them if I'm too close, or slowing down a bit if I see they're making the effort to speed up and merge.

In many states, left lane camping on interstates and other limited-access highways is actually illegal, and a ticketable offense. But rarely enforced.

Left lane courtesy is definitely a lost art. I don't know if they even teach it in driver's ed/driving school anymore. I took driver's ed after school back in 1986, and they never taught us about keeping right unless passing.

Now if there's 3 or more lanes, I'll stay out of the right-most lane for the most part, but when there's only two lanes, I'll try to move over for people merging, if I can. But if I can't, I just work with them, either speeding up to get past them if I'm too close, or slowing down a bit if I see they're making the effort to speed up and merge.

In many states, left lane camping on interstates and other limited-access highways is actually illegal, and a ticketable offense. But rarely enforced.

In NJ, you are actually supposed to keep out of the middle lane as well (on a 3 lane road), but that is silly and dangerous on heavily merging roads, I think, and I keep to the center lane in such situations.

c. Upon a highway which is divided into 3 lanes, a vehicle shall not be driven in the center lane except when overtaking or passing another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn or unless the center lane is at the time allocated for traffic moving in the direction the vehicle is proceeding and is signposted to give notice of that allocation.

Other. The worst drivers we have ever seen were on motorcycles.

Could be confirmation bias at this point but I have found a disproportionate amount of Volvo drivers to be bad. My theory is that one of the chief characteristics of the make is its safety. Who is most likely to prioritize safety when buying a car? Someone who has been in an accident(s).

Honda drivers. Seem to drive under the speed limit for the most part. Yes, staying in the left lane without pulling over for faster moving vehicles. And my pet peeve for most drivers regardless of manufacturer is not using their turn signals. Aargh!!!!

Honda drivers. Seem to drive under the speed limit for the most part. Yes, staying in the left lane without pulling over for faster moving vehicles. And my pet peeve for most drivers regardless of manufacturer is not using their turn signals. Aargh!!!!
While I agree with you, in Houston, if you use your turn signal in heavy traffic to move into another lane, it's almost a guarantee you will be cut off and no one is going to let you in. W/O turn signals you can bob and weave with ease.

Other. The worst drivers we have ever seen were on motorcycles.

True, proportionally they seem to be the worst.... at least the young ones. I suspect the reason the older riders are not so reckless has to do with survivor bias.

While I agree with you, in Houston, if you use your turn signal in heavy traffic to move into another lane, it's almost a guarantee you will be cut off and no one is going to let you in. W/O turn signals you can bob and weave with ease.
I am talking about city street driving. Not highway driving. Though you still should use your turn signals.

With a nod to the other poll that's currently running --

The worst drivers are guys in big Pickup Trucks, eating NY-style Pizza.

With a nod to the other poll that's currently running --

The worst drivers are guys in big Pickup Trucks, eating NY-style Pizza.

Nah, it is Tesla drivers eating California style pizza. :LOL:

I have to go with Prius. Out in the left lane, 10 miles under the limit, smug in the knowledge that they're getting better mileage than the rest of us. I also scan the cars ahead at a two-lane red light, and make sure I'm not in the lane with a Prius in it.

That said, I agree that's been moderating somewhat lately. Maybe with EVs sharing the road, the Prius drivers aren't so smug any more. Even had one pass me on my last 1,200 mile road trip. (Yes. Just one. It's still a rare enough event that I noticed.)

Beyond that, it's not so much the make or model, but body style. Around here the guys in pickups never seem to be in much of a hurry. Not sure why. I drive one and always keep up with traffic.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with the comment about bad drivers in 18-wheelers. True, the few bad ones do stick out, but the vast majority are professionals with lots of experience. It's the drivers in cars who brake sharply right in front of them who cause the most problems with the big rigs.

Finally, the biggest problem drivers on the roads are the city folk. Something about driving in urban areas brings out the worst in people. And they bring that attitude with them to suburban and rural areas where it's not necessary. Yes, I can drive aggressively and selfishly when I have to. But I also know when I can relax a bit and show some respect to the others sharing the road with me.

Back
Top Bottom