Poll: Profession

My field of profession is/was I.T.

• True

Votes: 67 32.8%
  • False

Votes: 137 67.2%

• Total voters
No IT here, but I interacted a lot with IT people. Civil Engineering/Land Surveying/Mapping. My technology focus was mainly GPS and GIS (Geographic Information Systems).

Worked on Wall Street as a Financial Analyst supporting banks and hedge funds.

how do you define IT? Is it software? hardware? embedded or servers? Processor/memory design? chip tech? RF for wifi...

is the guy who sells a router in best buy in IT?

Could you define what you consider IT for this poll?

I was IT as a small business consultant from 1995 to about 2015. For me it was all self-learning.

With megacorp from 2005 to 2015 I wrote about IT topics. Got an MSc in security cause it was so damn interesting.

In my final job, I don't have much to do with IT topics, although I do take my notebook home and plug into a VPN at times!

I work in real estate investments, working at an institutional private equity real estate investor/asset manager. Have been in the industry for about 7 years. I like it. It is a moderate amount of “desk work” but I also get to travel to see our properties and interact with developers and investors so I have flexibility, client interaction and am not always chained to my desk.

Prior to that, I worked in a back office Finance role for a large major bank. I hated it.

IT Engineering and management. First 15 years was hands on field experience. Last 25 years, before retirement, I sat behind a desk/computer. Lot's of meetings, domestic and international travel, meetings, professional conferences, meetings, endless conference calls and some more meetings in my spare time. Numerous professional certifications in my area specialization.

Loved my job the first ~25 years, tolerated my job the next ~10 years, the last ~5 years was stressful and painful.

Last edited:
Worked in front line and muddle management for a big three oil company for the better part of thirty two years and interacted mostly with engineering types.

I worked in financial services (retirement plan administration) for 33 years. I did work closely with our IT staff representing the business and customer side of things on projects.

Programmer, Software Engineer, (various management titles) of Software Development. So, true.

Negotiated contracts for the purchase of IT hardware, software and services for megacorp.

I managed large divisions of computer scientists, even though I wasn't one myself.

One company let us pick the title on our business cards. I put "Code Slinger" on mine :D

As a college graduate with a math degree, I answered an ad for "PL/I programmer wanted, no experience required".

I met the description and hence began my career as a software developer...

(I am pretty sure you won't find "no experience required" ads for programmers anymore ;) )

My profession was not I.T. Many of us, including me, did have an ongoing relationship with desktop support. :D

Sequestered behind impenetrable doors, I.T. always claimed such robust security was necessary to protect sensitive data and equipment. We know it's really to safeguard I.T. staff personally against torch and pitchfork carrying users!

I started my last career writing business applications in S/370 assembly language. I was fortunate to work around a bunch of really smart people who let me tag along. [emoji848]

Engineering and IT light...

Engineering tech, research associate, technical staff associate, wafer fab tech, and probably a few more bogus names I don’t recall, so basically a jack-of-all-trades while in research, a lot monkey when in “manufacturing”.

But my favorite, adopted the last few years at Mega:

“Wafer bitch”

Last edited:
Computer modeling (writing and operating computationally intensive, data driven numerical geophysical models, then analyzing and interpreting output) was a big part of what I did. Can we say "FORTRAN" anybody? :ROFLMAO: Yes I am older than Methuselah.

So anyway, my career was computer oriented but I would not define what I did as IT, since it didn't involve helping others with their computer issues. I voted "False" in the poll.

Engineer. I knew what I wanted to do as early as middle school. Always liked and good at math and sciences in school, so engineering was easy decision. I am actually a metallurgical engineer by degree, although later in my career became more project management and/or subject matter expert.

CPA/financial manager and consultant so I voted false. Not IT but my knowledge of IT and IT systems was valuable in providing common sense solutions to problems that put me above my peers.

It depends. technology ruled my career. Until the IT revolution in the 1990's I was a mining geologist, surveyor, cartographer. Then once computers showed up in the world, I became IT. It was either that or go the way of the people who couldn't adjust to computers. I worked with many of them. People that used to hand make beautiful maps but couldn't figure out CAD; Registered surveyors who lost their jobs to their less qualified assistants who only needed to push a couple of buttons on a piece of equipment; Project Planners who couldn't stop seat-of-the pants management when faced with the digital project metrics of today.

Back
Top Bottom