Prime Day 2019

To get back to the OT- I don't have a Prime membership. Probably never will. My TV source is Netflix. While I see a fair amount of planned purchases here ("I knew I wanted to buy X and was waiting for Prime Day") there's also a lot of purchases based on browsing and finding something you didn't know you wanted. I try to avoid that. It keeps the spending AND the clutter down.

+1

I'm on a free trial month of Prime. The timing with which they offered it to me was perfect, as I have just purchased a class B camper van, and needed to buy a bunch of supplies for it. Unless I forget, I plan to cancel the free month before they begin charging me. It's been quite nice to have the quick delivery but, frankly, it's almost too quick. Most of the time, 2 or 3 days is good enough. Much of the time, 5 - 8 days is good too. I'm a big boy now - I can wait. Also, I have historically tried to stay from Amazon, but this trial month might mark the beginning of a change of habit in that regard.

I actually feel rather sorry for all the Amazon worker bees who are busting their chops, just so that I can have something delivered the same day, which could very well have been delivered a few days later without negatively impacting my life.

Incidentally, today is the anniversary of the day when, in 1995, Amazon opened for business as an online bookseller.

I just checked to make sure that you are buying it new. I had a Moto G6 taken from my pocket in the Civic Center area of Market Street in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, in a very tightly-packed crowd. That area is notorious for pickpockets. It would have been pretty funny if you had purchased my phone REW!

Sorry to hear about your phone theft. On a more positive note, bet the pickpocket was miffed upon learning he/she nicked a bargain phone and not something expensive!

I used my Prime Day Whole Foods freebie $10 credit and bought an all plastic belt (to wear and not have to remove when going through security check points).

I actually feel rather sorry for all the Amazon worker bees who are busting their chops, just so that I can have something delivered the same day, which could very well have been delivered a few days later without negatively impacting my life.

I feel the same way. I would like different shipping options at time of checkout. I could go with the “pick a day of the week” plan, but some things I do want ASAP. Most things, not. And I really hate the idea of a van pulling up on Sunday with the pack of gum I ordered. Maybe I’m just not aware of my options, but most the time I’m just fine with a “when you’re in the area” plan.

You snooze you lose I guess! I decided to sleep on deciding whether or not to purchase the Honeywell Thermostat with free echo dot. This morning it was gone. Decided to do further research on thermostats and just used my Whole Foods credit to buy an Echo Dot by itself. For around $13 I suspect the Dot will be worth it; else I can give it to one of my brother's kids.

Have people done the genetic testing offered by 23 and Me? It's half price at $100 on Prime Day. Thoughts?
I did. To me it's helpful to know if my genetics show any abnormalities I might want to somehow address. Some people would rather not know. I suppose it can backfire if we go back to underwritten health care and they access and use any such info against you to DQ you or raise rates.

It can also be interesting to check your heritage. Some won't care as much. Some don't want to find unknown relatives. I set mine up for privacy so relatives can't find me, and possibly hit me up for money.

There's some pretty useless stuff too, like telling if you're predisposed to have curly hair, or face gets flushed when drinking, or stuff like that. I don't know if that's exactly the things they show but they are about that trivial and uninteresting.

I'm in a shopping on Prime Day traffic jam. Wanting to buy a camera and have that delivered to an Amazon Locker location near me. But all lockers are full at this moment :(.

How does Whole Foods know you are a Prime member? I did not see a number on the confirmation e-mail from Amazon. Since everything is virtual, it's not like your Costco card with your picture on it.

How does Whole Foods know you are a Prime member? I did not see a number on the confirmation e-mail from Amazon. Since everything is virtual, it's not like your Costco card with your picture on it.

When I last shopped there, I swiped my phone with the Whole Foods app and from there was notified (if I recall correctly, by the cashier, then by email) that I got $10 credit for Amazon Prime Day.

Once again, if I recall correctly, when I installed the Whole Foods app was when I used my Amazon info to sign in.

You have two options:
1) Add your phone # to your Amazon account. When you checkout at Whole Foods, provide the phone #.
2) Install the Whole Foods app on your phone. Login to the app with your Amazon account. When you checkout at Whole Foods, open the app and scan the QR code that will be on the screen.

A couple of items in my wish list ended up being featured as Prime day deals, so that was motivation enough for me to order them. :)

I just don't know about that Instant Pot. It only has 33,000 reviews, so I think the jury might still be out... :D

We went ahead and got one. DW has been interested since her sister started using hers 5x a week. Also got a new tab for DW, some shaving cream, razors, shampoo and I am debating a new Kindle. Damn you Amazon...you suckered me!!! :blush:

Its just an electric pressure cooker. Very convenient in many ways.

Prime Day purchases so far:
- a new potato peeler (the old one just seems to have disappeared);
- a 4K LED TV with built-in FireTV to replace 10 year old patio TV;
- two new Dewalt 5 Ah batteries for my cordless Dewalt power tools;
- a WiFi sprinkler timer;
- and a few birthday presents for kiddos of a few nieces/nephews.

Last edited:
On checkout I was promised next day delivery to my home as a Prime member.
Epic fail.

For me next day shipping fails more often than it succeeds. I usually order in advance so a short delay is no big deal, but sometimes I do need the item the next day as was promised.

Bought a tile pro at 46% off, blue tooth key (or other stuff) finder after almost missing an appointment this morning.

I don't -really- love gadgets but I do misplace my keys around the house a lot, and kinda like gadgets.

Although this didn't have a thing to do with Prime day, following an appointment with a podiatrist for pain in my foot (plantar fasciitis, we think) I ordered some Copper Fit balance insoles and KT tape for taping my foot. The xray computer was being fussy this morning so she couldn't get the images right away. And since it was on my wish list I also ordered some Permethrin spray for clothing.

And taking a page from someone's post on ER.org, I also bought myself a $25 gift card for the $5 credit.

Although this didn't have a thing to do with Prime day, following an appointment with a podiatrist for pain in my foot (plantar fasciitis, we think) I ordered some Copper Fit balance insoles and KT tape for taping my foot. The xray computer was being fussy this morning so she couldn't get the images right away. And since it was on my wish list I also ordered some Permethrin spray for clothing.

And taking a page from someone's post on ER.org, I also bought myself a $25 gift card for the $5 credit.
DH ended sending a bunch of his “field” clothes to Insect Shield to treat his clothes with Permethrin, should be good for 70 washings or essentially the life of the garment.

On checkout I was promised next day delivery to my home as a Prime member.

Epic fail.

For me next day shipping fails more often than it succeeds. I usually order in advance so a short delay is no big deal, but sometimes I do need the item the next day as was promised.

I just had the opposite happen.

I purchased a couple of things yesterday and was promised two day delivery, arriving tomorrow. About 10:30 this morning I was notified the items were out for delivery. Got them about 4 local time.

I had snagged a sale set of All-Clad D3 cookware, and was told it would come Wednesday, but it came early today, 1 day early. That said, I'm going to start bundling future purchases when possible. I don't *need* my dishwasher cleaner delivered tomorrow, and I'd like the digital credits towards Kindle books.

So far today, four packages have appeared. Two tucked behind the planter near the door around 10, and two with the mail. Smart plug but no Echo Dot. I saw something about getting $1 in credit to accept a later date, but don't recall anything about bundling, which would have been fine with me. I guess I have to learn "the system."

I was going to go to Whole Foods for the $10 credit, but did the math and decided not to. A gallon of gas round trip in the SUV, which I was in at the time, plus wandering through Whole Foods trying to find something I wanted that was not egregiously overpriced. Nope. Came home instead.

So far today, four packages have appeared. Two tucked behind the planter near the door around 10, and two with the mail. Smart plug but no Echo Dot. I saw something about getting $1 in credit to accept a later date, but don't recall anything about bundling, which would have been fine with me. I guess I have to learn "the system."
Here's the trick. If you get the $1 credit on one thing, and do prime shipping on the other, they often bundle them together and you get the first item quickly anyway. I wonder if that's how some people get their account closed, so I don't do it often. I have done it some today though. It's their fault that items are hard to find, or they have short-lived lightning sales that make me buy things one at a time.

I believe this is my first celebration of Prime day. Two day total- 2 Pairs of running shoes for $52 each, they are $120 at my local running store. $78 each for 2 pairs of running shoes (Ghosts) for daughter. A Dyson fan for $180. Pricey but silent and looks nice. Target has it for $300. Also a $22 Black Diamond Spot headlamp for walking the dogs at night. Hard to see the B.M.'s without illumination.

Last edited:
Bought a couple small items but the main purchases were a Roku device and an external SSD 1TB drive. Didn't really see anything else I wanted and I had these on my mind to get at some point so it was a good event for me.

With the Roku, I'm going to change my cable to be just internet and save some money. Not fully cutting the cord because with the Roku, I'll be able to use the Spectrum app and stream channels. I will be getting a different package though. All local channels plus 10 channels that I pick plus some garbage channels they throw in. The change will save me about $40-$50 per month and my internet speed will go from 30Mbps to 200Mbps.

With the SSD, DW will be able to store all her pictures on the drive and I will be able to back them up a little quicker. Mostly hoping to get speed improvement for her plus a drive that is a little less susceptible to damage, like from being dropped.

I just had the opposite happen.

I purchased a couple of things yesterday and was promised two day delivery, arriving tomorrow. About 10:30 this morning I was notified the items were out for delivery. Got them about 4 local time.

Same thing happened with me. I ordered some non-prime day items, sheet music and large zip ties, but also ordered an Apple Watch 3 for DS-early Christmas present/masters degree present. He had no idea I was thinking about getting him one. They were ordered Monday, and all arrived yesterday.

I've been nursing my iphone 6 for a couple of years trying to get every last ounce of life out of it. I finally decided this would be the year to replace it. It's only a 16 gig and I've had to keep removing programs to stay under the capacity. Also not enough room to store pics and music. So it's in our 2019 lumpy items budget. I had been toying with the idea of moving away from the iphone. I have been considering the Samsung S10 , 128 gig which is expandable and the Pixel 3, as well as the iphone Xs and have done a ton of research.

Amazon had a $300 off price on Samsung's S10. Total cost $599. I went to the AT&T store yesterday to do the touchy feely thing and ask lots of questions of the AT&T tech who was nice enough to give me more info, even though he knew I was going to buy it elsewhere. So I pulled the trigger finally. I tried mid afternoon and there were no more S10's. I was bummed. But I tried again at about 6pm and the site showed the S10 was again available with a 9/1 ship date. So I pounced.

I also bought more ink for my HP printer, from a non HP producer that was a deal of the day and a 3 piece Samsonite spinner luggage set, that we need to replace two very tired and beat up suitcases that no longer "spin", also a deal of the day. The luggage was marked down to $158. Today the price for the same luggage set is $389.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom