Resolving New Fridge Problem

OK, since the French Doors swing out only ~ 1/2 as far, I can see that as an advantage, depending on your kitchen layout.

Now, those two drawers on the previous post actually look nice to me. On ours (and most fridges I think), there are two drawers inside. You need to open the door, and then open the drawers. And for the drawer on the door hinge side, that door has to be swung a full + 90 degrees. We normally store specific veggies in those drawers, so I would know to go to those drawers for those. But I would still want a single main door (above the outside access drawers).

That would sometimes avoid opening the door and letting the warm air in. And the door would be open for a shorter time. A drawer won't lose as much air, it would stay in the drawer.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I was going to post a video, but ya'll don't need to see my portly self. :D

Portly? Portly? :ermm:

Aw gosh, you are ruining my pre-conceptions! I visualized you as being trim, athletic, probably active duty military, with a crew cut and not having even one ounce of excess weight to spare. :LOL:

Portly? Portly? :ermm:

Aw gosh, you are ruining my pre-conceptions! I visualized you as being trim, athletic, probably active duty military, with a crew cut and not having even one ounce of excess weight to spare. :LOL:

HA!! That's pretty good. :D Since retiring, I have put on about 20 pounds (not terribly surprising) but I still keep the hair short (NOT a crew cut, however). I tried letting it grow out some, but I can't stand it. Same goes for facial hair. So, there have been *some* downsides to retirement, I can't bring myself to look that bummy!

HA!! That's pretty good. :D Since retiring, I have put on about 20 pounds (not terribly surprising) but I still keep the hair short (NOT a crew cut, however). I tried letting it grow out some, but I can't stand it. Same goes for facial hair. So, there have been *some* downsides to retirement, I can't bring myself to look that bummy!

:LOL: (adjusting my mental image of you)

Oh OK! I agree, there's a limit to how bummy one wants to look, even in retirement. :D

As far as "why" on the French Doors, in our case it was the island. Our kitchen is fairly small and when we renovated it, we moved the fridge (there was a closet there w/ washer and dryer) to where you see it. Also, on the other side of the island is the oven and there is only about 2" of clearance between it (when open) and the island, so we couldn't move it closer "that way". So, to have a fridge big enough for all our crap, French doors were necessary.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 25
Have same issue !! Ridiculous and extremely frustrating...I have given up..!!

Return that defective thing. I swear the more bells and whistles the more issues. Same goes for washer and dryers. When did people start needing a washer with 40 different options, steaming, folding, nuclear waste cleaning, etc etc. Wise up and buy the bare essentials when it comes to things with motors.

I'm curious - what is the attraction of french doors on a fridge?
For me, it's wider access to the inside - easier to find things imo. Also, the doors aren't halfway across the kitchen when open & so heavy with long moment arms such that the door could get out of alignment. I'd think those with lower strength levels - like some oldsters - would like the lesser weight. Of course, freezer on the bottom with pull out drawer is most efficient for maintaining coldness.

We have the so called "counter depth" - lesser depth - for the visual appeal of the front aligning loser to the counters (You pay extra for less volume. Oh well. :ermm:). That said, this manufacturer, & I'd guess most, say to do push the frig all the way back against the wall but to allow 2" space. We did that & of course it still stick out beyond the counters.

I've lived in a house with a refrigerator that did exactly that same thing. My boyfriend just blamed it on me being careless and not shutting the door. Thank you for the video. Now I don't feel so bad bout the break up. (Ha!) I don't have much else to offer except my condolences and the fact that his frig was over 10 years old and still works great other than that one design flaw. Just don't blame your wife if someone doesn't shut the doors carefully. Divorces are more expensive than refrigerators.

We have an older version of this unit. The doors work, and they don't swing too far out when open.

dbbef74c-1ad4-4593-9609-053bc00f1211_1000.jpg

Well, it's worked perfectly since I jacked up the front. Still PO'd at Whirlpool/Sears, but it would be more trouble than it's worth to pursue it.

Perhaps I'll post my video in some Amazon reviews--but I look so weird. I think it's the glasses and the need of a haircut. When I watched it I said, "Wow, I look so dorky, I wonder why that is?"

DW said, "No, that's what you look like."

For me, it's wider access to the inside - easier to find things imo. Also, the doors aren't halfway across the kitchen when open & so heavy with long moment arms such that the door could get out of alignment. I'd think those with lower strength levels - like some oldsters - would like the lesser weight. Of course, freezer on the bottom with pull out drawer is most efficient for maintaining coldness.

We have the so called "counter depth" - lesser depth - for the visual appeal of the front aligning loser to the counters (You pay extra for less volume. Oh well. :ermm:). That said, this manufacturer, & I'd guess most, say to do push the frig all the way back against the wall but to allow 2" space. We did that & of course it still stick out beyond the counters.
I've thought of another reason FD's are good: There are fewer "edge effects"; i.e., the shelves being wider than side-by-side means there's more room to fit things/large things on a given shelf. Was always hitting walls with previous sbs.

After a while it just becomes a habit to recheck the doors after closing .I love the french door especially when I am entertaining and have large platters .

Update

Tilting it up has worked well, although on two occasions it failed to close and we didn't notice it.

The cheap parts finally arrived on their slow boat from China, and I put together the device that will beep if we leave the door open too long:

lPIMm0S.png

The holes let me adjust the delay and/or make the beeping louder. I realize it would have been neater if I just glued one of the contacts to the project box.

So far, so good.

Interesting... I know our french door fridge chimes if the door is left open but wasn't sure if it would chime if the door was just slightly ajar so I tested it and it does.

our fridge has a built in door alarm, good thing because it too doesnt close well all the time. i would still be swearing profanities at it, but the bride told me to get over it.

Still loving my conventional freezer-on-top frig. After 22 months of use, the door has never once been found open unexpectedly, it hasn't needed a single repair, and it keeps all my food at exactly the right temperature. Just the right frig for me. :)

We bought a Whirlpool french door fridge last July and have had seven service visits since. The problems that first arose were the right door not closing properly, so Whirlpool replaced the door. The other problem is a sheet of ice forming on the bottom of the fresh food compartment. This is being caused by foam insulation stuck in the drain tube and techs can't replace that part. They have done everything from steaming the tube, pulling out small chunks of foam and even spraying the drain area with silicone spray to make the water more slippery (I'm not joking folks).

Whirlpool finally threw in the towel and is supposed to be replacing the fridge in the next few weeks. The service techs were very sympathetic but had to do what the Whirlpool "master techs" instructed them to do, but they were on our side all the way.

Ours has the ice and water dispenser on the left door, but it closes very smoothly and easily. The only thing that kept us from returning it and buying a Samsung or an LG is the Lowe's salespeople told us those are even worse with very long waits on parts. Sears claims they buy their own parts inventory from the manufacturers and you won't have the long waits with them. We didn't buy from Sears, so no idea of their veracity.

We bought a Whirlpool french door fridge last July and have had seven service visits since. The problems that first arose were the right door not closing properly, so Whirlpool replaced the door. The other problem is a sheet of ice forming on the bottom of the fresh food compartment. This is being caused by foam insulation stuck in the drain tube and techs can't replace that part. They have done everything from steaming the tube, pulling out small chunks of foam and even spraying the drain area with silicone spray to make the water more slippery (I'm not joking folks).

Whirlpool finally threw in the towel and is supposed to be replacing the fridge in the next few weeks. The service techs were very sympathetic but had to do what the Whirlpool "master techs" instructed them to do, but they were on our side all the way.

Ours has the ice and water dispenser on the left door, but it closes very smoothly and easily. The only thing that kept us from returning it and buying a Samsung or an LG is the Lowe's salespeople told us those are even worse with very long waits on parts. Sears claims they buy their own parts inventory from the manufacturers and you won't have the long waits with them. We didn't buy from Sears, so no idea of their veracity.

Well that is until Sears goes out of business....

I improved the design:

xK7CGC2.jpg

Something is changing, and now, even with the front raised, it isn't always closing.

From now on, I will buy major appliances from Costco, where a full refund is available.

I improved the design:

Something is changing, and now, even with the front raised, it isn't always closing.

From now on, I will buy major appliances from Costco, where a full refund is available.

Sounds like you need to keep a full case of beer in that door at all times for inertia! :rolleyes:

I improved the design:

xK7CGC2.jpg

Is this on the inside or the outside of the fridge? It looks like wood in the pic which I would not think was inside, but the way the door is open it makes it look like it is inside...

OH... maybe you have one on each door.... but still inside... I guess it is loud enough for you to hear....

Is this on the inside or the outside of the fridge? It looks like wood in the pic which I would not think was inside, but the way the door is open it makes it look like it is inside...

OH... maybe you have one on each door.... but still inside... I guess it is loud enough for you to hear....

I think that's the top - and cabinet-over.

UPDATE: My solution works MOST of the time, but having the front jacked up, means that ice cubes fall out of the back of the ice cube maker.

I'm going to try a new solution.

Back
Top Bottom