Retire at Holiday Inn instead of retirement home?

Sort of the same idea as permanently living on a cruise ship.

The numbers work in that area for sure. Interesting alternative. And there's no long term complications when you want to move!

I don't know what they mean by "retirement home", as that's sort of a catch-all phrase. But I remember when my grandmother went into her final stages she was at an assisted living facility for awhile, and then when she got too bad, she had to go into a nursing home.

The assisted living facility was about $3,000 per month. They fed you, and also helped you to go to the bathroom if you needed it, bathed you, etc. There was always at least on person on duty 24/7, and they usually had a nurse there during the day. However, if anything too serious came up, you had to either depend on family members to get you to your doctors appointments, hospital, etc, or they charged extra. Or, if it was an emergency, I guess they called the ambulance, and that got added to your bill.

Once she had to go into the nursing home, that was something like $10-12,000 per MONTH, once medicare ran out. And when you get into that kind of condition, no Holiday Inn, or cruise ship, in the world, is going to let you stay with them!

It is not common but it happens. Some seniors pay monthly at extended stay resort suites which has full kitchen and sofa area in the room. Resort also has swimming pool, workout gym , that includes full breakfast and what they need from the front desk is a phone call away. And the local bus stop is in front of the hotel if they need to get somewhere.

Does the comparison include the free rooms these people can get by joining the IHG Rewards Club?

Strange, the guy in the article equates a Holiday Inn with a nursing home. The article author must have had a slow day.

Not sure I believe that $59/night rate, since I looked online at the only Holiday Inn (Express) in Spring, TX, and the senior rate for a stay longer than a month was still well over $100. Lowest night was $90 (plus taxes), some nights as high as $163.

Maybe he's looking at a cheaper one in the area. Houston has some pretty lousy and unsafe areas, and I still don't find that rate, so I suspect his rate research is pretty flawed, but let's go with it. $60/night is $1800/month.

He's comparing it to the "average cost" of a nursing home. Does that average cost include all the memory care and other managed care places? How much for an independent living community in the area?

Why not just get an apartment? A quick check of apartments.com shows plenty of units that can be had for $1000 or less. $800 buys a lot of toothbrushes, razors, shampoos, and soap. And crappy Holiday Inn type breakfasts.

Give it a shot, buddy, and let's see how long you last.

Strange, the guy in the article equates a Holiday Inn with a nursing home. The article author must have had a slow day.

That term shouldn't be used for this drivel. It is almost word-for-word straight from the facebook post that the "retiree" posted. Taking a quick perusal of his facebook page...oye, oye, oye. He mentions that if you "fall at the Holiday Inn, you will get an upgrade to a suite...FOR LIFE!"...implying that they will be negligent in the fall and will have to pay the price.

The end of the article summed it best, "A representative for InterContinental Hotels Group, which Holiday Inn is a subsidiary of, did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment." I think they didn't respond because it's a crap story.

I live in Spring, Tx (officially) although we call it The Woodlands (unincorporated). The HI here is not $59 a night...ever. I have put lots of family up in it and never got a rate less than $100/night.

Nothing in this area is $59 per night and some hotels are much, much more expensive.

I live in Spring, Tx (officially) although we call it The Woodlands (unincorporated). The HI here is not $59 a night...ever. I have put lots of family up in it and never got a rate less than $100/night.

Nothing in this area is $59 per night and some hotels are much, much more expensive.
Woodspring Suites Houston $37 a night include kitchen area in hotel room. Pictures look good. Looks like a good deal?

I think some people do deeply resent having to pay high prices for senior care facilities, and this could result in less than fair comparisons like what I believe we are seeing in the article.

That said, I *DID* meet a senior on a cruise ship years ago who had lived aboard for several years. He thought it was a great way to live out his golden years. He wasn't feeble, though, or mobility impaired, or demented. Just old.

I don't know about others here on this forum, but I have to admit that I have daydreamed about spending my final years at sea on a luxury liner. That's all it will ever be, though; a daydream, because once one gets past the independent living stage, I don't think a cruise ship would suffice.

I don't think he's right in the head.

Lots of people in larger cities are permanent residents of hotels but usually not Holiday Inn.
Back in the 60s I had an old great-aunt who spent 20 years living in a four room suite of a downtown Boston hotel; cost a lot but that's what she did....room service breakfast every morning!

What exactly is there to do in a HI....sit on the couch, and watch TV until you die ?

If it were near a big city park, or national park, or possibly walking distance from shopping, library, YMCA, but all of those areas have $150 a night hotels. I think it would drive most sane people crazy in short order.

This reminds of the 'drive an RV to all the walmarts and stay overnight in the parking lot'

I really like the idea, very much. I have thought of that before not at a Holiday Inn but in a smaller community with Hotel or Motel. I bet you could get it a lot cheaper and still have all the things that HI would offer. I'm not interested in a pool so that would be a non factor. I know some small western towns I would not mind growing old in. If my wife would die first and things worked out I would do something like that. My wife wouldn't go for that. LOL

Lots of people in larger cities are permanent residents of hotels but usually not Holiday Inn.
Back in the 60s I had an old great-aunt who spent 20 years living in a four room suite of a downtown Boston hotel; cost a lot but that's what she did....room service breakfast every morning!
Nothing wrong with that. You hear of seniors that are long term residents of cruise ships, extended stay hotel and suites. The staff look after them like they are part of their family. When you are in a place where you feel safe and treated like family that's all good for them and me.

It's a fine alternative until you actually need care as I am pretty sure the front desk clerk is not going to help you take your meds, dress you, bath you, etc....

I really like the idea, very much. I have thought of that before not at a Holiday Inn but in a smaller community with Hotel or Motel. I bet you could get it a lot cheaper and still have all the things that HI would offer. I'm not interested in a pool so that would be a non factor. I know some small western towns I would not mind growing old in. If my wife would die first and things worked out I would do something like that. My wife wouldn't go for that. LOL

what about a bed and breakfast instead?

It's a fine alternative until you actually need care as I am pretty sure the front desk clerk is not going to help you take your meds, dress you, bath you, etc....
Home health aide can probably make house visits, I mean ( hotel) visits..

And an added bonus is that you have got hotel housekeeping to clean your room! Just don't forget to leave a tip.

Last edited:
Woodspring Suites Houston $37 a night include kitchen area in hotel room. Pictures look good. Looks like a good deal?

NOT The Woodlands and NOT in Spring. If you are going to stay in one of those, make sure you have your carry permit and your piece.:LOL:

Last edited:
Tips.

A tongue-in-cheek story.

The benefits of Holiday Inn, Robison added, also include free toothpaste, razors, shampoo and soap. An additional $5 a day in tips will "have the entire staff scrambling to help you" as well, he wrote.

"They treat you like a customer, not a patient," he said.

Duh!

That's because they expect you to be a healthy customer. The moment they find you bedridden, they will call 911 and have you haul away.

Back
Top Bottom