Ronnie Hawkins - RIP

KCGeezer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For those that enjoy rockabilly, he was a mentor to The Band and many, many others. If this doesn’t get you moving you might be dead.

I was a bit surprised he was still around. From wiki:

In later years, Hawkins developed pancreatic cancer and recovered, which he attributed to everything from psychic healers to native herbal medicine.[20] His mysterious recovery was featured in the 2012 film Ronnie Hawkins: Still Alive and Kicking.[21]

Hawkins died in the early morning of May 29, 2022, at the age of 87.[22][23] He was survived by his wife of 60 years, Wanda, their two sons, Ronnie Jr. and Robin, and daughter Leah.

I won't be surprised if this thread doesn't get a lot of attention. Hawkins was more in the background, famous among musicians as a mentor to "The Band", but not known so much by name to the general public. Kinda like Gary Brooker of "Procol Harum".

87 is pretty good for someone who apparently lived the rock star life, and survived pancreatic cancer. RIP.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I was a bit surprised he was still around. From wiki:

I won't be surprised if this thread doesn't get a lot of attention. Hawkins was more in the background, famous among musicians as a mentor to "The Band", but not known so much by name to the general public. Kinda like Gary Brooker of "Procal Harum".

87 is pretty good for someone who apparently lived the rock star life, and survived pancreatic cancer. RIP.

-ERD50

Surviving pancreatic cancer is quite amazing alone and making it another 10 years. The few people I know of that had it didn't make it two weeks.

Members of the The Band were in Ronnie Hawk's band, The Hawks.

"After the move to Canada, The Hawks, with the exception of Hawkins and drummer Levon Helm, dropped out of the band. Their vacancies were filled by Southwestern Ontarioans Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, Richard Manuel and Garth Hudson, all of whom, along with Helm, left Hawkins in 1964 to form a group which came to be named The Band."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Hawkins

Surviving pancreatic cancer is quite amazing alone and making it another 10 years. The few people I know of that had it didn't make it two weeks.
Unless it's found while scanning for internal injuries, such as after a car crash, it is almost inevitably fatal in a short time.

Unless it's found while scanning for internal injuries, such as after a car crash, it is almost inevitably fatal in a short time.

Lost two close friends to PC. SO glad The Hawk beat the odds and got to rock on for all those extra years.

Back
Top Bottom