Second Happiest Day (?)

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The two happiest days of a boat owner’s life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

Friends, I’m about to have my second day.

My great-grandfather raced sailboats, my grandfather (mom’s dad) did and my father did (that’s how he met mom). For fifty five of my seventy years, I’ve owned a variety of boats, sail, power, row.

Thirty years ago a dear friend called while DW and I were on our honeymoon telling me that he was 'very' ill and needed to sell his five year-old sailboat. His was the only boat I had ever really wanted and I jumped at the opportunity.

A 52 foot sailboat isn’t the type of thing that you use casually when there’s nothing better to do, so for the next thirty years our life revolved around that boat; it was a lifestyle commitment.

But with hundreds of trips up and down the coast north of Boston, overnights in Nantucket, birthday parties on board, one memorable 'cook aboard' dinner for ten, we have had more than enough memories--and photos for a lifetime.

The boat and I aged together over time. But it was not the type of boat you just took out for an hour spin, and it’s a very big boat to handle yourself; a lot of work. Heck, it took almost an hour to get out into deep enough water to hoist the sails. Over the past few years, we stopped sailing as much and the boat became more of a summer home; lunch at the mooring, a swim, some music, a nap. Thirty five is also old for a boat like that, the maintenance was getting more involved (and costly) and, well….we had just had enough. It was just time to move on and do something different.

So, our old girl is on her way to a better home. Happy? A bit melancholy for DW and I. We did join a local boat club where we can take out power boats whenever we want and we’re really looking forward to that. No mess, no fuss; 'here’s the keys, kid, thanks'.

One regret: Every year, my brother and I would do three or four different overnights at the mooring. An entire bottle of Scotch would evaporate during the early evening as we sat in the cockpit chatting, looking at the stars. In the early morning my brother would jump out of his bunk, stark naked and run up and over the rails into the cold New England water. The last time we went out, he was begging me to join him; he loved it. 'C’mon, c’mon!'. I refused; just didn’t feel like getting wet that day. Had I known that in four weeks he’d have a life threatening and life changing stroke, I’d have jumped in with him even if I were wearing my best business suit. But…regrets are for another day.

Bon voyage my girl!

Last edited:
It sounds like you're ready for the sale. Have fun with memories, and new adventures with smaller power boats.

It sounds like you're ready for the sale. Have fun with memories, and new adventures with smaller power boats.

Yeah, it was a few years coming. As noted a bit melancholy but it was the right thing to do.

I think I'll be joining the "boat club" after this one gets at least 5 years on it. Either that or it gonna be a 15 footer with a 50 on back.

Gonna sell the 21 foot Chris Craft soon, don't need 2 boats and gonna sell the big bike too, don't need 2 motorcycles either.

Yup buying and selling, all big fun!

I own 5 registered watercraft and 4 outboard motors. Plus a couple three homemade plywood homemade duck boats. I'd have more if DW allowed it. I live in MN, you never have the right boat for the right purpose.

I can't part with any of my boats. My biggest is a 16' Lund with a 25 HP Evinrude.

I enjoy Lyle Lovette singing "If I had a boat" Plus numerous Jimmy Buffet songs.

I'm just a little guy on the water..... I love it. By the way, we still have ice on our lakes today, should be open in a couple weeks.

Love sailing, have had several boats over the years. Still have 20Ft Ensenada that we 1st bought over 30 years ago. a tree fell on it during a storm crushing it on the trailer. stripped it out with intentions of trying to fix it. few years back found just a hull, $100 on Ebay, just a few miles away from the BILs in NY. Just what I needed was another project...
Enjoy your memories.

When I lived in Maine I was always sad when a sailor friend would sell their boat. :(

But seriously I was always happy for them for their decision to free themselves of the burdensome part. It must have been hard to part with yours. The story of your overnights with your brother was hard to read. Life is always ready with its curve balls, alas.

-BB

Yeah, it was a few years coming. As noted a bit melancholy but it was the right thing to do.

I feel for you even though I'm not a sailor (but my brother is- first rehabilitated a Thistle as a HS student- and Dad built a Sunfish which he almost couldn't get out of the basement after completion).

There comes a time when you have to let go of things and acknowledge that they gave you a lot of pleasure but no longer do, and find a new home for them with someone who will enjoy them.

I've heard that "second happiest day" saying a lot.

I think it only applies to those who shouldn't really have owned a boat in the first place. I've sold lots of boats, and every time it was with some sadness. Even if it was a pain to unload. Even if it was big relief from a burden. It was still like selling a part of myself.

9 years on, I still miss the last boat I sold, even though at that time I already owned my current boat, there was a very soft market, and it was on the market (consuming my time and money) for a year.

It's like they say: If you don't understand boat ownership, no explanation is possible. If you understand, no explanation is necessary.

Yeah.

For me boats are like dogs. After you loose one it won't be long until you get another.

My condolences op. I know what you’re going through. I bought my first pontoon boat in 1982 or 1983. Old rusted out pontoon. It developed a leak and I bought a new pontoon the next year. Sold it a few years later and bought my 3rd in 2005. Sold it a couple of years ago to a young family whose kids were ecstatic.

We had a lot of fun on those boats. DW and SIL ca 1982 or 1983 aboard Worthy Vessel I.

Attachments

• 7CAFFDAC-8704-44BA-834F-4FF7CE757C73.jpeg
    7CAFFDAC-8704-44BA-834F-4FF7CE757C73.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 56
Boats are a wonderful way to spend time, especially in a warmer climate. I’m too much of a wimp to enjoy boating on the West Coast, but I loved it on the Gulf Coast and on lakes in TX when I lived there.

Marko, a boat club sounds perfect for where you are in life now. Cherish the memories.

Congratulations on having the experiences of owning a 52' sailboat. That's a huge boat, and I'm sure the upkeep was almost like a full time job.

We stopped in Camden, Maine one beautiful Summer afternoon and the bay was full of big sail boats and schooners. What a place to spend some time?

I've just returned from cutting a steep hillside at my lake house on the beautiful Tennessee River. My grandmother purchased two lots for $4,500 back in 1945. We're on the 5th generation enjoying this place. Now the lots alone are worth 150 times what she paid. Last week I spent 3 full days shoveling and hauling away last Fall's oak leaves. My father held up to all the same work until about age 80. Keeps one young.

Enjoy the memories and the new boat club! That sounds like fun.

I've just returned from cutting a steep hillside at my lake house on the beautiful Tennessee River.

That river is beautiful. I did a boat delivery down from Chattanooga once, and really felt like that's the kind of place I could live. Unfortunately getting to the Atlantic coast from there is a bit of a journey. Maybe some day I'll cut all ties with blue water and become a brown water cruiser.

You can probably include aircraft in the same category as boats with respect to the two best days of your life. I really miss flying, but owning an aircraft that's actually practical is so expensive (and especially since I quit flying) legally and "regulationaly" complicated as to take a lot of the fun out of it. YMMV

Yeah.

For me boats are like dogs. After you loose one it won't be long until you get another.

And to carry the dog analogy further, its heartbreaking to put your old friend down, but when the time comes you know it's the right thing to do, as painful as it might be.

Last edited:
marko I did not know you have? a sailboat, let alone a big one. That is a dream of mine but I don't have the crew or experience for that. I can relate to both the pains of ownership and the fact that it is time to move on.
@Koolau we are there with the plane, at least I am.

Grew up enjoying my DF 26' sailboat. It's a McGregor 26M and man did we make some incredible memories. DF taught me and my DS who passed away about 8months ago how to sail it without him. All the other yachties we met, the race days, and shore lunches. Trips to many of our 10,000 MN lakes and beyond. We trailered that boat to many bodies of waters, quite a few rivers and had so much fun. Right now it just sits on the side of his house. I've had the pleasure of taking out 2 of my 3 kids, and I think once the last of his grandkids my DD who is now 2 makes a trip on it, I could see him considering getting rid of it. It's an old boat I think a 1989 if I am not mistaken. I'll never forget the day she showed up in the driveway, I felt like the coolest kid in the neighborhood. Here is one of the video's of us sailing the Mackinac Bridge at sunset...one of our families favorite places to sail. https://youtu.be/X2-qedOp6vk

The two happiest days of a boat owner’s life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

I've never had that second day; never sold a boat. Seventy-one years old, and I still have them all... 14' AMF Flying Fish sailboat, 22' Tanzer22 sailboat, 14' Duracraft runabout, a collection of Achilles inflatable dinghies, and a 34' Pacific Seacraft 34 sailboat. We are aboard that last boat right now anchored in Governor's Harbour, Eleuthera, the Bahamas. We bought her in 2004, the year I retired and the year my wife lay in a hospital bed with a serious infection and with NDR orders. She recovered, and we immediately bought the boat. This is our 13th trip with the boat to the Bahamas, and the year that began with our winning our local sailing club's New Year's day Frostbite race in the Tanzer 22 with my wife, daughter and two grandchildren as crew.

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/li...cle_f98385e8-6b51-11ec-9c45-4f27195acfbc.html

...and a link to my wife's blog about our trips to the Bahamas is available by clicking on my name, view public profile, and about me. It's in interests.

I've never had that second day; never sold a boat. Seventy-one years old, and I still have them all... 14' AMF Flying Fish sailboat, 22' Tanzer22 sailboat, 14' Duracraft runabout, a collection of Achilles inflatable dinghies, and a 34' Pacific Seacraft 34 sailboat. We are aboard that last boat right now anchored in Governor's Harbour, Eleuthera, the Bahamas. We bought her in 2004, the year I retired and the year my wife lay in a hospital bed with a serious infection and with NDR orders. She recovered, and we immediately bought the boat. This is our 13th trip with the boat to the Bahamas, and the year that began with our winning our local sailing club's New Year's day Frostbite race in the Tanzer 22 with my wife, daughter and two grandchildren as crew.

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/li...cle_f98385e8-6b51-11ec-9c45-4f27195acfbc.html

...and a link to my wife's blog about our trips to the Bahamas is available by clicking on my name, view public profile, and about me. It's in interests.

Wow! Where do you store that many boats?

The Flying Fish and Duracraft are at our house on Patrick Henry Lake. The Tanzer22 is in its slip on another TVA lake, Watauga Lake. Our Pacific Seacraft has a slip in New Bern, NC.

The Flying Fish and Duracraft are at our house on Patrick Henry Lake. The Tanzer22 is in its slip on another TVA lake, Watauga Lake. Our Pacific Seacraft has a slip in New Bern, NC.

Heh, heh, I think RobbieB has met his match!

Thanks for the info. Always glad to hear of peoples' passions in retirement. It gives the rest of us something to shoot for (having a passion, that is.) Aloha.

I was hoping your answer was not going to be: "in our yard, next to the two old washing machines, three rusting motorcycles, old monitor top refrigerator, dad's old Chevy (with the tree growing out of the hood), six bicycles, a stack of tire rims, a giant stack of roofing shingles, five wooden ladders, a bale of barbed wire and four old rotting wooden buckets all guarded by our old dog Duke who is on one long chain" Just kidding! Glad to see you're enjoying your boats in various locations! Nothing like a day on the water.

Last edited:

those TVA lakes looked just spectacular when we flew over them on the way to Asheville and points east. It looked like you could play forever in those wrinkles filled with water.

Back
Top Bottom