Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Middle class

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • Upper middle class

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • Rich class

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
My wife retires tomorrow, I retired almost 3 years ago. We will be in the upper middle class/upper class range with our pensions and social security by the chart. But we live in Sacramento, California, and I believe we are in a high cost area relative to most of the country. We will probably be able to do some travel, and some remodeling, but nothing excessive. We may have had it so good for so long, we don't know what excess means anymore.

Like some others, my classification is based on Wikipedia's information. I fit into 'middle class' based on my own income (nearly 'upper middle class'), but 'upper middle class' for the household (I have a roommate, but it's just technically a 'household', no kinship or affectionate relationship between us).

Of course, when you compare my $65K to the local area, it's not that far over the median income for this county. In 2000, that was $44K (for males).... given 7 years, it seems like it could be reasonable. Then again, I'm "only" in my 20s. Hopefully there's still a lot of income growth potential.

Back
Top Bottom