Surprises in the first month of retirement

During my career I would fish frequently and thought when I retired that I would continue fishing during the week, every week. But after I retired I found that I was not interested anymore in fishing and enjoyed more things that I never had time for while working. Here I am spending the summer in Alaska, a fantastic fishing location, and have no desire to get on a boat!

+1

Was obsessive with art, music and outdoors stuff of all kinds while w*rking. Now 5 years into retirement, the pace and intensity has definitely slowed. I love to cook, largely because I love to eat great food cheaply. I read a ton, and, to my surprise I have a lot more tolerance for socializing.

DW and I were surprised how much we dislike our cold and dreary winters. We’re devoting our travel budget to escaping, while enjoying our wonderful summers and autumns. Winter wasn’t so annoying while wo*rking since I was always cooped up inside.

I can see where I will be alot like you except maybe the weed/alcohol part. I've never been a gamer either because I don't feel I want to waste the time (if I all of a sudden have 10 extra hours a day, I may start playing).

When you're retired, entertainment is a waste of time. Got it.

we don't drink alcohol, don't smoke anything, don't do illegal drugs. never saw the upside to any of that. after ~35-yrs in corrections and public safety i've encountered too many instances where drugs and alcohol have killed or ruined lives. that's not misinformation. if you choose to imbibe or puff do the rest of us a favor and take a cab or ride share.

I gave myself 6 months to decompress. And it took that six months or longer. Only after that period did I move forward with major decisions about my goals In retirement.

I discovered that many things I thought were important for me in retirement ended up being not. Gave myself permission to experiment. Discovered new interests that blew old ideas away.

We loved to sail. It really kept me sane the last few years working. Thought we would eventually go bare boating and sailboat cruising a lot. Then once retired we sailed very little and ended up selling the boat. We were too busy traveling and didn’t need the stress relief at home, and other interests exceeded sailing in general. Still haven’t made it to the Caribbean. :facepalm:
YES! Both my wife and myself were really into motorcycling while we were working. It seems like all we looked forward to after a long stressful work week was the long motorcycle trips we would take on weekends (we each rode individual bikes). After we retired I thought we would go on unending motorcycle trips. Never happened - lost all interest. Sold the bikes a few years into retirement ( last year I owned my bike I rode less than 200 miles). Been retired now for 17 years - have never thought of taking up the hobby again.

I retired at the end of June, also. I'm finding some of the same issues:

- too much to do (moving these 401(k)s and 403(b)s to my IRA - put off too long, now I have time and must do it - what a pain!)

- forgetting the day and date (it's August?)

- not worrying (too) much about finances (I'm in pretty good shape).

I moved to Vermont a couple of years ago, and I definitely need more friends. DH would stay home all the time if nobody lit a fire under him, and lighting fires is too much work. I joined a committee in town, and have been reaching out to neighbors, friends, and acquaintances to get together. I need to do more.

I am getting regular exercise for the first time in many years! All that stooping in the garden provoked my IT band, so now I socialize with my physical therapist twice a week. Medicare and Part B (G plan) are paying for it, AFAIK.

I discovered that I will happily spend the whole day outside. I need a rainy day to clean the house or do a bit of my consulting work.

My accountant is my new best friend. I've been DIY with most financial decisions but have him do my taxes since I invested in real estate. Now he is helping me figure out where to get the money to spend until age 70. After I mentioned the U-shaped glide path, he said it didin't sound like I was going to need investment advice and didn't try to sell me any! (He recently became a CFP as well as a (for many years) CPA.)

Although my time is very full, I am usually not rushed. I spent quite a bit of time in the last few days picking Japanese beetles off the roses and dropping them into the chicken's run. Feeding frenzy! They love bugs.

The only problem I can identify is that DH is younger and several years away from retiring. He is jealous. It makes him cranky. Anyone who shared this problem, feel free to PM me!

Life is good.

Variety in retirement is the spice of life.
Yes, vary your weed; crucial to maintaining spice

"...being a heavy drinker or pothead at any age is a road to hell and death."

Not necessarily. Many of my friends from H.S. and College never stopped partying. (Some are high level executives and are still doing LSD among other things. (!) ) Without exception, they have all had successful lives and have been productive members of Society.

How could that be? They were all exceptional people to begin with.

That's why I have maintained their friendships for 30-50+ years.

That said, I have also watched substance abuse destroy and end lives.

It depends on the individual(s) in question I guess.

Fair enough, although I'll mention two "yeah buts". First is the very common phenomenon of functional alcoholics -- people whose lives look fine on the outside but whose inner, relational, physical or spiritual lives are in trouble. It can be amazing what people can hide. I'm not saying that about your friends; you've known them 30+ years and obviously I don't know them at all; I'm just throwing that out as a general caveat. Second, we may have different images of what a "heavy drinker" or "pothead" means. When I said that, I meant heavy, daily (or near-daily) use.

I should also separate alcohol and weed. Alcohol is the major villain by a long stretch. I'll rephrase and just make this a personal statement of belief: heavy, regular use of alcohol is the road to hell and death. (To be clear, that's not what I was engaged in; I'd describe that as excessive but short-term use. But it was enough to give me a taste of that hell.)

I gave myself 6 months to decompress. And it took that six months or longer. Only after that period did I move forward with major decisions about my goals In retirement.

Yes, this is another thing I'm finding. The need to just rest and take care of myself. A lot of things have changed. Even good changes can be stressful. I noticed my body/spirit telling me lately: "Hey, slow down and take it easy. We've been through a lot of changes. We need time to rest and adjust." I tend to push myself, so I have to remind myself to slow down and take care of myself. No rush.

Congratulations OP great thread.

I learned do limit my alcohol too. It's a depressing drug. Too much makes Jack a dull boy.

Cannibis is awesome, I love to take a few puffs before a 5k or lifting. Of course I often used it while w*rking, helped my code immensely. It's not surprising the prejudice and shaming, sixty years of misinformation does that. It's easy to blame a plant for things that you don't want to see in yourself.

Enjoy your retirement.

Thank you. I appreciate the alternative perspective (which I guess is not so alternative anymore, with weed becoming legal across so many states). I agree that cannabis isn't one-one hundredth the threat that alcohol is. I don't see any real problem with occasional, short-term use. Personally it makes me less productive, not more, but I'm sure others are able to use it in ways that help, as you are. I'm also thinking about musicians. I bet a lot of great music (at least from my era) was aided and abetted by a little cannabis.

Variety in retirement is the spice of life.
Yes, vary your weed; crucial to maintaining spice

Spice is a whole different subject...

Ok, this thread is too focused on alcohol and marijuana. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it at all. It's really not the main thing that's going on. I feel like it was a blip and a good reminder of what not to do.

Trumpeting angel will help us get back on track.

I retired at the end of June, also. I'm finding some of the same issues:

- too much to do (moving these 401(k)s and 403(b)s to my IRA - put off too long, now I have time and must do it - what a pain!)

- forgetting the day and date (it's August?)

- not worrying (too) much about finances (I'm in pretty good shape).

I moved to Vermont a couple of years ago, and I definitely need more friends. DH would stay home all the time if nobody lit a fire under him, and lighting fires is too much work. I joined a committee in town, and have been reaching out to neighbors, friends, and acquaintances to get together. I need to do more.

I am getting regular exercise for the first time in many years! All that stooping in the garden provoked my IT band, so now I socialize with my physical therapist twice a week. Medicare and Part B (G plan) are paying for it, AFAIK.

I discovered that I will happily spend the whole day outside. I need a rainy day to clean the house or do a bit of my consulting work.

My accountant is my new best friend. I've been DIY with most financial decisions but have him do my taxes since I invested in real estate. Now he is helping me figure out where to get the money to spend until age 70. After I mentioned the U-shaped glide path, he said it didin't sound like I was going to need investment advice and didn't try to sell me any! (He recently became a CFP as well as a (for many years) CPA.)

Although my time is very full, I am usually not rushed. I spent quite a bit of time in the last few days picking Japanese beetles off the roses and dropping them into the chicken's run. Feeding frenzy! They love bugs.

The only problem I can identify is that DH is younger and several years away from retiring. He is jealous. It makes him cranky. Anyone who shared this problem, feel free to PM me!

Life is good.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing your own journey. I like that you have chickens. I haven't lost track of the months yet, but maybe that'll come later.

:)

Eddie, I always enjoy your posts. Sounds like you’re doing exactly what you should be in ER - experimenting with different ways to spend your time, leaving behind what doesn’t work for you, and doing more of what you need or enjoy, like resting.

Someone on this forum advised me to let retirement come to me rather than over scheduling myself and trying to figure it all out in advance. That was great advice. I’m in Year 3 of ER and still morphing what I enjoy and how I’m spending my time. I’m ecstatic to have the chance to experiment so much while I’m still relatively young.

I read in one of your posts that you live in MS. I grew up on the MS Coast.

Someone on this forum advised me to let retirement come to me rather than over scheduling myself and trying to figure it all out in advance. That was great advice. I’m in Year 3 of ER and still morphing what I enjoy and how I’m spending my time. I’m ecstatic to have the chance to experiment so much while I’m still relatively young.

"Letting retirement come to me." I like that. Just exploring, letting things happen, not trying to figure it all out in advance... Good reminder, thanks.

Definition of "power trip"

Many of my friends from H.S. and College never stopped partying. (Some are high level executives and are still doing LSD )

Perhaps some even became successful politicians. That would explain a lot...

"Letting retirement come to me." I like that. Just exploring, letting things happen, not trying to figure it all out in advance... Good reminder, thanks.

That’s wise. It took us maybe 4 years to really settle in, but the journey itself has been wonderful!

It first, we expected to travel like crazy and even go nuts on local outdoors stuff. Much to our surprise and, initially, disappointment, we don’t seem to get out locally much more than when w*rking. The key is that we are much more relaxed. We also do tons of social stuff that i didn’t bother with before. The biggest change is that we can now snowbird almost 2 months yearly, in a couple of road tripping legs. Just get in car and go.

So not exactly what we expect expected, but still oh so wonderful!

My sincere condolences on the loss of your dog. My companion animals are very important to me.

DW bought this antique calendar thingy to help with day of week. See below

Surprises:

- occasionally see my still employed office lunch group. It was a carefully curated group of fellow travellers rather than direct office colleagues.

- how much the split life of Snowbirding prevents deep engagement with either world

- how much fun being an Uber driver can be. DW insisted I give it up when we got a new car, and we looked at how little money I was making.

- how many hours you can burn searching for a day trading method that works

- how unattractive active entrepreneurship is when you don’t need the money

- how satisfying scratch cooking is, which I got into to fix chronic gastro issues

- renting out under utilized often vacant property is easy and has fantastic tax treatment.

- I have dreams, sleeping dreams, all the time of going back to work

- jealous of people in professions that they can slow down but stay in game

- how disadvantaged Canadians are not being able to move to warm climate and maintain health care

- care for parents is a huge factor

- capital replacement: cars, HVAC, roofs, appliances

Attachments

• 5DC3C845-67BA-4E69-8A63-CB663F9AF7A3.jpg
    5DC3C845-67BA-4E69-8A63-CB663F9AF7A3.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
10. If you think someone's trying to serve a summons or subpoena on you, it'd be a good time to take a long, well deserved vacation to anywhere. I have not desire to talk about anything to do with my past business dealings.

Have a great retired life.
If they want my time, I would quote 5x my hourly rate and be very enthusiastic about cooperating. If the hours involved exceed 8, my rate would double. otherwise I am not available!

Congrats on your retirement! Welcome to your new stage of life. You'll love it.

I pulled the ripcord almost six years ago at the ripe young age of 54. We sold our house in California and bought a new house in the Phoenix area. 55+ community (my wife qualified <grin>) and have been here ever since.

I won't respond to each of your points as some others did, but I'll tell you that unless you're adverse to travel, DEFINITELY take the time to do it. It doesn't have to be expensive overseas travel or cruises, either, though don't rule it out!

DW and I have driven cross-country five times now since 2013, with the primary goal of visiting family. We drive a Prius (great gas mileage) and we stay in moderately-priced hotels, lately selecting Hampton Inns as our first choice for the consistency with virtually everything. That and the occasional trip to Hawaii, we're having the time of our lives.

When at home, I write -- novels and screenplays, mostly. I don't have any aspirations for fame and fortune with that, I just enjoy creating. I've also been experimenting with digital art, focusing on abstracts. After using my "left" brain for so many years, I'm thrilled to be stretching the right side for a change!

I guess my point is it takes a while for your brain to free itself from the concept of time, as in "I have to be somewhere at THIS time or else," as well as the idea of a plethora of obligations and to-dos clogging up your mental inbox. Enjoy it for what it is and try not to fret about money... the stock market WILL have peaks and valleys, but if you prepared, your portfolio should weather any storm.

Have FUN!

Congrats ER Eddie on your freedom. Yep, sounds a tad familiar. Weed, I grew 6 giant plants in my backyard my first 5 months free. Yielded about 4 pounds. Didn't shave or get a hair cut for a year. I've since calmed down a bit. The euphoria of doing whatever I wanted with no job ramifications was intoxicating for the first year. I've been gone three years now and yes it really goes fast. What day is it? &#55357;&#56846;

Last edited:
we stay in moderately-priced hotels, lately selecting Hampton Inns as our first choice

On google maps search Hilton in the area you wish to stay, triangulate this with a Hilton Honors app search, pick out the cheapest Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn.

Happy to drive 20 minutes out of our way to save $100.

Hampton Inn has breakfast included, Hilton Garden has free coffee and full restaurant in house. Latter is best after a hard day of travel and a glass of wine with no driving back to the hotel.

Hilton Garden tends to be cheaper on weekends. DC downtown Hilton Garden is half price Sunday nights.

I prefer first floor to avoid extra bother of elevator as designated runner to get coffee or breakfast.

On google maps search Hilton in the area you wish to stay, triangulate this with a Hilton Honors app search, pick out the cheapest Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn.

Happy to drive 20 minutes out of our way to save $100.

Hampton Inn has breakfast included, Hilton Garden has free coffee and full restaurant in house. Latter is best after a hard day of travel and a glass of wine with no driving back to the hotel.

Hilton Garden tends to be cheaper on weekends. DC downtown Hilton Garden is half price Sunday nights.

I prefer first floor to avoid extra bother of elevator as designated runner to get coffee or breakfast.

Exactly right. Love getting those HH points, among some of the other features. Loyalty definitely pays. :cool:

I retired four years ago, due to medical reasons, & it was far more abrupt than I expected (think, doubling over in my driveway, & waking up just as I was going into surgery). But, by the time I was recovered (about a month), I found that I really didn't miss my job, at all...& I owned the company! After 32 years, the place kept on running just fine, even without me, & I ended up selling it to the employees, with no regrets, & have thoroughly enjoyed my retirement.

My wife of 41 years retired six weeks ago, & it's totally different for her. Not that she misses her former workplace, but she's having an awful time not being the boss. This afternoon, I finally told her that I did not appreciate her acting as "mommy" or "boss," & that I have been doing just fine for 73 years without her telling me what to do, how to do it, & when. She hasn't said a single word to me since then (about three hours), & it'll be interesting to see if she can break that strange new habit.

I enjoy talking with my wife, & have always made it a conscious point to not talk TO her. So, her starting this after so many years I have to attribute to her reaction to retirement.

And, yes, we're back talking with each other! Hope it lasts.

Joke... been married 35 yrs.
Retired 6 yrs.
Not the same, working / retired being home together all the time.
Both good, just not the same. lol lol

I went to the doctor for my annual physical 6 weeks after ER. I had lost 8 pounds already, and every single number was better than last year. The nurse took my pulse twice because she surprised it was so low. No stress and plenty of exercise and outside activity are a wonderful thing for your health. Those thinking about OMY who are already FI, should consider the cost of OMY in terms of your health.

Back
Top Bottom