Surprises in the first month of retirement

" First is the very common phenomenon of functional alcoholics -- people whose lives look fine on the outside but whose inner, relational, physical or spiritual lives are in trouble. "

I have always loved (not) the concept of the "High Functioning" alcoholic. I have known many. They drink every day, to excess. You know, like 6 or more beverages a day. Every day...

They have never been in trouble with the law, they have never been abusive physically or verbally to their friends and/or family. They have no ongoing health problems. They maintain their professional standards, their homes, their relationships and their lives. Many maintain healthy spiritual relationships and attend religious services regularly. Do they have inner Demons that they struggle with? Yes. Don't we all?

But, we as a Society must put them in their appropriate box with their appropriate name. Because one size fits all - 2 or more drinks a day, everyday, and you are an "alcoholic". Use cannabis everyday and you are a "pothead".

Years ago you were just a guy/gal who drank a lot and relaxed with some cannabis but took care of your business in Life - You know, like a real Man or Woman does. Now, you are a shameful, sad, helpless individual who we should look down upon and feel pity for and offer help to.

Nah. I must reject that common wisdom/group think.

That guy in the gutter, figuratively or literally, help him. Let's leave the responsible people alone and pin the labels elsewhere if we have to.

That said, I must agree with you that of the two, Alcohol vs. Cannabis , alcohol is by far the most destructive. In fact, I was watching a documentary* where many different types of Doctors were comparing alcoholism with heroin addiction and most said that the heroin use was actually less devastating medically and socially than alcohol. ( Hmm.. I dunno about that. ) Cannabis was, in their opinion, not even in the same league as the other two. As well, they acknowledged a wide range of potential medical and health benefits related to cannabis use.

I do know this...I've seen people destroy, or almost destroy, themselves with all the above.

Again, I will maintain that it is highly dependent upon the Individual and that labels and a one-size fits all attitude are not appropriate.

Birdly

* - Can't remember the show itself. I believe it was on CNN. It featured Dr. Sanjay Gupta among others.

Last edited:
- I have dreams, sleeping dreams, all the time of going back to work

Oh, great. I still have dreams, 35+ years later, of being summoned back to high school to re-take some class that I "forgot" to take back in the day. So I'm going to have "work dreams" too?

Oh, great. I still have dreams, 35+ years later, of being summoned back to high school to re-take some class that I "forgot" to take back in the day. So I'm going to have "work dreams" too?

LOL! My first year gone I fought a lot of fire and worked on a lot of bloody messed up patients in my dreams. Happy to report I haven't had a work dream in over a year and a half.

If they want my time, I would quote 5x my hourly rate and be very enthusiastic about cooperating. If the hours involved exceed 8, my rate would double. otherwise I am not available!

Yup - make them pay a price - I do that with my consulting - unfortunately, most of them have been willing to pay the larger price - oops!

Great reflections, thanks.

I appreciated your post as it got me in a reflective mood and I surprisingly saw lots of up sides of the last year. I retired by accident as my husband and business partner passed away so I had little planned.
The year went slowly.
Work?
I miss knowing if our old patients are doing well and I miss being challenged, not enough to go back to work tho! I find new challenges daily.
Play?
Having never tried pot before I tried it hoping it may help my sadness, only I found the grief exponentially greater so, not for me but... I have known several high functioning people who enjoy it. I subscribe to live and let live. Besides I've no time to judge others from my glass house.
Alcohol, also a downer so no.
Social?
I almost tried to be more social , got more involved with church and came to appreciate my family and friends more, but honestly I learned I don't mind being alone too much, hmm probably bc my dog is great company.
Finances?
I don't worry too much about money. With great knowledge gained here (thank you!) I bought a rental house this winter and it's worked out to meet my monthly nut easily. I have the rest in CD's at 3.5% and feel super lucky, like that it's compounding without risk.
Travel?
I'm on a 3000 mile fly-fishing journey currently and loving the freedom of the road, visiting and seeing the AMAZING beauty of the Western USA. I will keep on going until I'm done.
Gaming!?
On advice of son I bought a PlayStation and Grand Tourismo racing simulator, OMG, LOL I find this great fun. Son is sure I drive my Porsche better and got my first ever speeding ticket (bout time!).
Relaxing?
I think FINALLY I know how and appreciate down time like never before. I love sunrise and sunsets, try to never miss one. Getting up earlier sure helped my mood allot.
Downside. All my friends siblings and most people my age work. I need to shake off feeling out of sync and just enjoy the freedom. Hard to field question of What do you do? Didn't realize my profession was so tied to my identity. So search for trueself continues.
Health wise I'm all about getting moving daily and eating light but well, as I want my brain and body to stay young!
Mostly this reflection of my year of retirement has left me -GRATEFUL.
Wonderful people here have inspired me often, so thank you! I hope you continue to enjoy retirement fully.

LOL! My first year gone I fought a lot of fire and worked on a lot of bloody messed up patients in my dreams. Happy to report I haven't had a work dream in over a year and a half.

URRGH!!! Guess coming here talking about dreams and work and stuff triggered something. Up all night with various bad work dreams last night!

I appreciated your post as it got me in a reflective mood and I surprisingly saw lots of up sides of the last year.
[....]
Mostly this reflection of my year of retirement has left me -GRATEFUL.
Wonderful people here have inspired me often, so thank you! I hope you continue to enjoy retirement fully.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Sounds like things are going well. :)

Back
Top Bottom