Take care guys

JG,
How the heck did you feel up Mr Rogers. :D

I used to think I felt like a stud but the lady friend always said "Not really". Guess feeling are pretty mushy.

Laurence said:
I'm a big boy and can take an arrow, but my concern is we have had too many threads like this as of late (for example, Charlie) where members have said goodbye because of the confrontational tone this board has taken at times. 

I haven't read enough of Azanon's posts to understand or have an opinion on the problem as it relates to him. IMO, the limits are simple. One shouldn't use gutter language or crude references in a disparaging way against some named individual; or be easily identifiable as a psychotic.  Short of that, so what?

I do think in a more general way, most of the leavers have been passive aggressive twits (esp. those who leave behind bible references). IMO, if someone wants to leave, he should go ahead. Someone will take his place. But he should have the class to shut up about his oh-so-precious reasons for doing so. It’s just an unbecoming girly way of getting even.

Lots of people enjoy scattering tacks on the floor, then running to mommy if they step on one. These folks needed more quality time on the playground or football field.

Ha

HaHa said:
IMO, the limits are simple. One shouldn't use gutter language or crude references in a disparaging way against some named individual; or be easily identifies as a psychotic. Short of that, so what?

I do think in a more general way, most of the leavers have been passive aggressive twits (esp. those who leave behind bible references). IMO, if someone wants to leave, he should go ahead. Someone will take his place. But he should have the class to shut up about his oh-so-precious reasons for doing so. It’s just an unbecoming girly way of getting even.

There are at least two types of leavers. The noisy ones are the the ones most often noticed, but there are quite a few regular contributors who have quietly disappeared. We don't know about all cases, but some of the quiet leavers leave because of the argumentative threads.

Not everyone has thick skin, and not all that do care to read some of this stuff.

Both noisy and quiet leavers have made valuable contributions.

My personal take is that ER-minded people are a decisive and stubborn bunch, and nobody's going to win political or religious conversions here. After the points have been made the only reason to continue the argument is the joy of arguing which seems rather destructive to the quality of financial and ER info with contributors leaving upset, offended or bored.

Moderators can keep the spam away and split the controversial off-topic tangents from FI/RE-related threads, but moderators can't improve the social situation because every action and inaction just makes another thing to argue about.

HA,
I stepped on a tack, peed my pants, ran to mom, she was doing "you know what" with a stanger and blamed you.

Any more good advice:confused::confused: :D

BigMoneyJim said:
There are at least two types of leavers. The noisy ones are the the ones most often noticed, but there are quite a few regular contributors who have quietly disappeared. We don't know about all cases, but some of the quiet leavers leave because of the argumentative threads.
Right. My comment referred only to the noisey ones. But I think you forget another reason for leaving- it can get just too boring. Once you have an idea what you are doing ER-wise, you have to look around for other reasons for staying. For some, the role of senior advice giver-guru is very attractive. Some don't get much mileage out of that, but do enjoy the banter. Otherwise, what is the point of hanging around if you don't need hand holding? I mean, how interesting is "I only need 15 more years and $1.5 million more and then I am out of here? Or even worse, if someone would just give me $20,000,000 I could start a business.  :confused: :confused: :confused: Who the heck couldn't?

Not everyone has thick skin, and not all that do care to read some of this stuff.
Good point, but last time I went to Unread Posts and didn't see anything I was interested in and just marked them "all read", no one jumped out of my computer and made me read the posts anyway.

Ha

HaHa said:
most of the leavers have been passive aggressive twits

Ha, you ignorant slut. :)

The world is full of passive-aggressive twits. And aggressive twits like us. Should we try to mold them all into passive twits? Personally, I enjoy producing both heat and light. It's just dogma that I can't stomach. But without dogma, I'd have nothing to rage against, so I guess I would miss it if it were gone.

If an aggressive species crowds out another species, should we intervene and try to control the aggressive species or let evolution take its course. I vote for evolution, but it's not my board. This is one case in which we really have a God (and a few demi-gods). Let them decide. And then make it so.

HaHa said:
Once you have an idea what you are doing ER-wise, you have to look around for other reasons for staying.
I stick around to watch you more, er, senior ERs for signs that your ER stamina is in jeopardy. Mikey, Jarhead, Eagle, you guys are my canaries in the mineshaft. "Breathe deep."

It's also a place where I can post Andy-Rooney style "Have you ever wondered--?" questions. My spouse really appreciates the work you're doing here, because otherwise she'd have to start ignoring listening to those questions again.

And I enjoy much of the banter. After all, how many of your average neighbors or co-workers would recognize the "you ignorant slut" phrase?!?

Attachments

• SNL.jpg
    SNL.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 128
wabmester said:
Ha, you ignorant slut.  :)

LOL.  :D :D :D There were good jokes on the joke thread today, but this one caught me totally by surprise and got the loudest laugh.

Last night I was having a drink with my older son, and to pass the time when we weren't flirting with the barmaid we were trying to decide who of us is the biggest pita- me, him, or his brother. He wanted the honors, but I held steadfast to my claim. When they were younger they were united in their opinion that I got the crown.

Their Mommy also votes for me.  :eek:

Ha

Nords said:
I stick around to watch you more, er, senior ERs for signs that your ER stamina is in jeopardy.  Mikey, Jarhead, Eagle, you guys are my canaries in the mineshaft.  "Breathe deep."

Nords, I think we are all in the clear. Not to worry.

HA,
I stepped on a tack, peed my pants, ran to mom, she was doing "you know what" with a stanger and blamed you.

Any more good advice:confused: 

Didn't I warn you about tacks? As to your Mom's indiscretion, no comment.

Ha

The social stuff is not insignificant.  Outside of the time I was boating, where perhaps 2/3 were ERs, I have had chance encounters with . . . uhhh . . . well, maybe I haven't met ANYONE who is a real ER. Several who were medically retired, several unable to hold a job, many between jobs, but I can't remember any bone fide retirees who retired early like we all talk about here.

Awfully hard to have discussions of these sort of issues with people who simply can't comprehend the idea of retiring early.

Nords said:
I stick around to watch you more, er, senior ERs for signs that your ER stamina is in jeopardy.  Mikey, Jarhead, Eagle, you guys are my canaries in the mineshaft.  "Breathe deep."

Nords: Hoping to be able to run the "full-marathon", but like a good "boy scout" have to be "prepared" for contingencies.

I met a retired Naval Officer that lives in Hawaii, and in about 6 years or so his daughter will be off to college. At that time he and his wife will probably be anxious to do some traveling.
It is obviously premature to bring this up at this point, but my fall-back plan is this:

My wife is an excellent cook, and housekeeper.
While the Officer and his wife are traveling, we will do all necessary maintenance of the property, and will even take care of any deferred maintenance.

When they are not traveling, I will be available for unlimited golf and fly-fishing instruction.

There of course, will have to be an understanding that 5 years would be the longest that we would be able to stay. ;)

Aloha.

Hey,
My daughter, presently residing in Spain, has indicated she is returning to Oahu early next year. So NORDS, I will have a place to stay unlimited, and cheap (free maybe). I guess surfing lessons are necessary, after all. Can I learn, at 62, without drowning, that is? Probably not, but I can snorkel. Maybe I can even get over there before Jarhead! Love that paradise, even if you have to watch the Cowboys at 7 a.m. on Sunday mornings.

IMH (and probably misguided) O...

I enjoy most aspects of this board: wide variety of experiences, education, politics, and a bunch of wiseasses!  :eek:

I don't like discussing religion, except as it pertains to government policy. I do not support teaching religion as science, and if I hear one more politician invoke the name of the Almighty, i'm gonna puke. But have at it... (Mark as read...)

Politics is a valid topic of discussion re: RE; monetary policy, tax policy, social policy, energy policy, etc. These issues affect our lives and wallets...

Ya don't have to read it if ya don't want...

The pendulum swings both ways for a reason...

Shouting is impolite, and only occasionally effective...

Opinions are like assholes; everybody has one, and they all stink...

Don't mind me; I had some fairly expensive extensive dental work done today, and I'm on hydrocodone...  :p

dory36 said:
The social stuff is not insignificant.  Outside of the time I was boating, where perhaps 2/3 were ERs, I have had chance encounters with . . . uhhh . . . well, maybe I haven't met ANYONE who is a real ER. Several who were medically retired, several unable to hold a job, many between jobs, but I can't remember any bone fide retirees who retired early like we all talk about here.

Awfully hard to have discussions of these sort of issues with people who simply can't comprehend the idea of retiring early.

I have had the same experience. Can not recall meeting an actual
honest-to-God ER face to face, ever! Oops, just thought of one. He is about my age and did it on a shoestring like I did, and has been retired about as long. Easier for him. Very very low level spending, yet he stills winters
in Arizona and lives near me in the summer. Anyway, I know a lot of people.
When I announced I was quitting for good..........shock and awe.

JG

MRGALT2U said:

JG
Yeah....I know what you mean. I told my boss last December of my plans to retire in 2 years. I wanted to give him plenty of time to bring someone in for me to train and to plan for the purchase of my stock. Just yesterday we were having a pow wow session and he asked if I still planned to retire next year(with a little smile on his face). He is 64 and plans to retire at 70. So many just can't comprehend why some of us would want to retire early. I got a reminder why yesterday. An old school buddy of mine died yesterday at the age of 51.

DOG51 said:
Yeah....I know what you mean. I told my boss last December of my plans to retire in 2 years. I wanted to give him plenty of time to bring someone in for me to train and to plan for the purchase of my stock. Just yesterday we were having a pow wow session and he asked if I still planned to retire next year(with a little smile on his face). He is 64 and plans to retire at 70. So many just can't comprehend why some of us would want to retire early. I got a reminder why yesterday. An old school buddy of mine died yesterday at the age of 51.

Yep, and as I age those "reminders" (of why I ERed) are increasing
rapidly.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
Yep, and as I age those "reminders" (of why I ERed) are increasing
rapidly.

JG

And another thing.........

Guy I used to work with back in the 60s (I'm gussing he is maybe.......68 now)
just had major surgery where they took out most of his intestines and
had to "redo" the job several times before they finally "got it right".
I asked a mutual friend where I could call him just to say "hi" and see
how he is doing. Guy says, "Oh, he is back at work."
He runs the DP Dept for a manufacturing company.
I just don't get it unless he has crappy insurance and has to pay some
medical bills himself. Even then?

JG

MRGALT2U said:
I have had the same experience.  Can not recall meeting an actual
honest-to-God ER face to face, ever!  Oops, just thought of one.  He is about my age and did it on a shoestring like I did, and has been retired about as long.  Easier for him.  Very very low level spending, yet he stills winters
in Arizona and lives near me in the summer.   Anyway, I know a lot of people.

JG

JG: Well, it could be that the early ritirees in Illinois have all fled the winters and escaped to warmer climes. ;)

More likely, (based on my own experience), you have probably not been shooting in "target rich environments". (See Dorys post).

We have a 22 man traveling golf team (sponsored by the NCGA) that plays a home and home series with 8 other clubs once a week that lasts about 4 mos. or so.

All the players are retired, and ages range from about 40 on the low side, and I am by a wide margin, the oldest on our team. Average probably about 48 or so.

Whether you were a butcher, baker, candle-stick maker, or MD, any reference to your previous career is treated by a blank stare, and a quick change of subject, as in "are any of you guys going to play in the Pacific Grove Invitational next month? ;)

Honestly, the only time I'm exposed to any large degree, with the "working world" is on this forum. ie: "I used to be this", " I want to be this" I'm tired of this", so forth. Oh, and the biggee, "Do I have enough to retire?"

Entertainment, pure and simple, keeps me interested enough to average one post a day.
(Even if the content isn't worth anything, it's easy to disregard.) ;)

MRGALT2U said:
Guy says, "Oh, he is back at work."
He runs the DP Dept for a manufacturing company.
I just don't get it unless he has crappy insurance and has to pay some
medical bills himself. Even then?
JG

I have a theory which came to me as I was thinking of a reply. ::)

Scientists someday will probably discover that we ERs have a "defective work gene". Depending on the individual, starting from the age of 30ish, the gene begins to disintegrate to nothing. This may happen instantaneously or take upto 50 years if you can survive.

That is why some people begin to struggle at work. Their gene is at different stages of disintegration but they need to continue to work to build an adequate nest egg and support their family.

A good example of a person with the defective gene at it's most early and extreme stage was Maynard G Krebs. As a teenager, just the mention of work, sent good ol Maynard flying. He later changed his name and wound up on a deserted island, goofing off and surrounded by 2 lovely women.

Well, it's a theory. :confused:

MJ :D :D ;)

MJ said:
I have a theory which came to me as I was thinking of a reply.  ::)

Scientists someday will probably discover that we ERs have a "defective work gene". Depending on the individual, starting from the age of 30ish, the gene begins to disintegrate to nothing. This may happen instantaneously or take upto 50 years if you can survive.

That is why some people begin to struggle at work. Their gene is at different stages of disintegration but they need to continue to work to build an adequate nest egg and support their family.

Well, it's a theory. :confused:

MJ :D :D ;)

The "defective work gene theory"? Could be.

JG

ex-Jarhead said:
JG:  Well, it could be that the early ritirees in Illinois have all fled the winters and escaped to warmer climes. ;)

More likely, (based on my own experience), you have probably not been shooting in "target rich environments".  (See Dorys post).

We have a 22 man traveling golf team (sponsored by the NCGA) that plays a home and home series with 8 other clubs once a week that lasts about 4 mos. or so.

All the players are retired, and ages range from about 40 on the low side, and I am by a wide margin, the oldest on our team.  Average probably about 48 or so.

Whether you were a butcher, baker, candle-stick maker, or MD, any reference to your previous career is treated by a blank stare, and a quick change of subject, as in "are any of you guys going to play in the Pacific Grove Invitational next month? ;)

Honestly, the only time I'm exposed to any large degree, with the "working world" is on this forum.  ie: "I used to be this", " I want to be this" I'm tired of this", so forth. Oh, and the biggee, "Do I have enough to retire?"

Entertainment, pure and simple, keeps me interested enough to average one post a day.
(Even if the content isn't worth anything, it's easy to disregard.) ;)

Hi Jarhead! It could be the circles I travel/traveled in I suppose.
OTOH, I know lots of rich people and can only think of 2 who are
"semiretired". I do know a couple who tried to "ease out" but went back to
work. I look at these guys pushing 70 with a million bucks (or more) still
working?? I think it's great if that's what you want to do. It's just not
the way I view life. Nope, doctors, dentists, lawyers, entreprenuers...........
the ones I know never gave real ER a thought, or if they did they never told me
about it.

JG

ex-Jarhead said:
JG: Well, it could be that the early ritirees in Illinois have all fled the winters and escaped to warmer climes. ;)
When I was in South Padre last December/January, every 60-year old I met was from Illinois or Michigan. Well, most of them were. They were doing 2-3 months, then returning; so they said...

HaHa said:

Ha

Hum. I did not find the last person who left with a bible refence to be a passive aggressive twit. My thought was that he wanted to spend more time dealing with the present, rather than a retirement that is far in the future.

I am often curious when a regular poster disappears so I am interested in the goodbye posts, whatever the motive of the poster. Even if they stepped on their own tack.

Back
Top Bottom