This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
That storm next week is even supposed to affect us down here in New Orleans! See forecast image below. Luckily our winters here are not bad and we look forward to cooler weather after the miserable heat we usually have during August and September here.
Not too many years ago I remember New Orleans had a snowstorm for a few days. I was surprised the cold can reach there, but sometimes it sure can.

Not too many years ago I remember New Orleans had a snowstorm for a few days. I was surprised the cold can reach there, but sometimes it sure can.
That was December 11, 2008. Here's a photo that I didn't take. I wanted to go out and take photos, but my agency wouldn't let us run out for even a minute from work to do that (and after work it was all melted and gone). :mad:

Attachments

• StreetcarSnow121108.jpg
    StreetcarSnow121108.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 28
We're getting our first snow of the season. And the mail lady left heart shaped tire tracks.View attachment 25025

That's so cute! Stay safe and warm.

It got down to 69F inside my house last night, so I turned on my heater. Or I thought I did; but after two hours, nothing heated up. I turned it back off and I guess I should figure out what I'm doing before I try that again. Luckily, being without heat in New Orleans is not a big deal in a well insulated house.

Today it has been raining and drizzling all day. Kind of dreary but we needed rain so it's ok with me.

There's an old song called it sure can get cold in Des Moines. I think the year was 1971-1972, anyways it was -13,-14,-15. That's cold! Wonder if we will see that this year. I know it's supposed to be cold. Will it be that cold? Salt lake City is supposed to be mid 20's for the high a couple days next week. That seems just chilly compared to what the upper mid west can experience.

This was a memorable January for me in the lovely city of Medford, Wis. Scroll down the page a bit for the daily hi's and lo's. https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMDZ/1979/1/1/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=Medford&req_state=WI&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=54451&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

This was a memorable January for me in the lovely city of Medford, Wis. Scroll down the page a bit for the daily hi's and lo's. https://www.wunderground.com/histor...reqdb.zip=54451&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999
Yes, it got extremely cold then didn't it? I think one of the reasons the mid west gets sub zero temps is the lack of really high mountain ranges many thousands of feet high to block the cold air coming down from Canada. Salt Lake City has the Rocky mountains that block the really cold air reaching the city. That doesn't mean Salt Lake City can't get really cold, it can , just not as cold as the upper mid west.

Yes, it got extremely cold then didn't it? I think one of the reasons the mid west gets sub zero temps is the lack of really high mountain ranges many thousands of feet high to block the cold air coming down from Canada. Salt Lake City has the Rocky mountains that block the really cold air reaching the city. That doesn't mean Salt Lake City can't get really cold, it can , just not as cold as the upper mid west.

One thing I've noticed is that we get a lot more early winter storms out of the West or Southwest than we used to. Back in the day we'd get one Alberta Clipper after another this time of year.

One of those western storms just rolled through my area yesterday. It wasn't much up here -- 3 inches of wet snow, then back above freezing. Some Canadian air is finally moving in midweek, but again nothing mind-blowing.

Not that I'm complaining! But I would like a little more snow for XC skiing.

The first large storm of the season is supposed to hit tomorrow. I will be putting chains on the plow truck and servicing the plow today. I have ordered a small electric heat pad that will stick on the hydraulic pump. Hopefully it will warm up the pump so it works better when I start out on cold mornings.

First blizzard warning of the season. We may get a foot of snow.

Attachments

• fgf.png
    fgf.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 187
Nodak, YAY!! I love watching the blizzard on your towns earthcam.

Just took a look, the winds are picking up and it looks like it's snowing. Little hard to tell in the dark, even with the car headlights. You can hear the wind and see the decoration blowing in the wind.

Last edited:
First blizzard warning of the season. We may get a foot of snow.

Crazy. I may be wrong, but looking at the animated weather map here, it appears like the blizzard you're getting is a continuation of the storm that clipped us yesterday in SE Wisconsin. Ordinarily we'd be bracing in anticipation of getting the heavy weather going on in the Dakotas over the next day or two. Not this time.

Nodak, YAY!! I love watching the blizzard on your towns earthcam.

Just took a look, the winds are picking up and it looks like it's snowing. Little hard to tell in the dark, even with the car headlights. You can hear the wind and see the decoration blowing in the wind.
Looks like the earthcan has a lot of snow over the lens right now. We have about 10 inches so far. anyone else interested in checking it out the link is http://www.cavaliernd.com/

Looks like the earthcan has a lot of snow over the lens right now. We have about 10 inches so far. anyone else interested in checking it out the link is Welcome to Cavalier

Just got a chance to look today and there's still snow on the lens. Could you get up there and clean it off?:LOL: It actually looks like the camera has been pushed to the right. You can see either part of a building or maybe the housing that the camera sits in.

Just got a chance to look today and there's still snow on the lens. Could you get up there and clean it off?:LOL: It actually looks like the camera has been pushed to the right. You can see either part of a building or maybe the housing that the camera sits in.
We had 50 mph winds so it may have moved the camera.

Well, I guess winter has arrived. We got 10 inches of snow and this morning the temp was -18 degrees. Fortunately very little wind today.

I see the object that was blocking the earthcam is gone. I looked at the cam a couple of days ago and could not see anything blocking it. The object looked a little like a windshield wiper but I don't know if they have that on the camera

Well, I guess winter has arrived. We got 10 inches of snow and this morning the temp was -18 degrees. Fortunately very little wind today.

After seeing your post, I guess I can't complain too much about the forecast for the next few days that shows 6-8 inches of snow and a temp that bottoms out at -7.

I'm looking for a contract job in Florida but so far no luck. I can't afford to go unless there's work so I guess i'm stuck with the Wisconsin winter. :(

I see the object that was blocking the earthcam is gone. I looked at the cam a couple of days ago and could not see anything blocking it. The object looked a little like a windshield wiper but I don't know if they have that on the camera

About the opposite here. About 50 degrees and very windy today. I've been over to a neighbor's cutting up a bunch of logs for fire wood. This afternoon we will cut some standing dead trees into logs for me. The cold days and nights will be back soon.

Got my snowblower fired up today -- er, technically it's a snow thrower, made by Wisconsin Marine Co. in Lake Mills, Wis., under the Bob-Cat brand. I inherited it from my uncle 21 years ago. I've replaced all the impeller bearings twice, using off-the-shelf parts from my local Farm & Fleet store. It just keeps chugging along...

Last edited:
Got my snowblower fired up today -- er, technically it's a snow thrower, made by Wisconsin Marine Co. in Lake Mills, Wis., under the Bob-Cat brand. I inherited it from my uncle 21 years ago. I've replaced all the impeller bearings twice, using off-the-shelf parts from my local Farm & Fleet store. It just keeps chugging along...

Don't think I've seen a thrower/blower quite like that with parallel axis second stage or is it a 3 stage machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom