This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious - for those of you in the incessantly hot areas, what do you set your thermostat to in this heat? Being mostly LBYM types here, the setting is probably more conservative than average.

We have had a warm (not hot), humid summer so far. Rarely into the 90's even, but with the sun warming the house and with the humidity, we've had the A/C on a fair amount. But at 88 or something, it doesn't run all that much to get down the 77-78 range inside, which seems to be enough to get the humidity down and make it comfortable (shorts and a fan help). But we probably still have 'thick blood' from the winter chill! I might drop it down to 75 if I have to be active on an indoor project. Last summer was exceptionally cool here - I think the A/C was on a total of 5-10 days all season. Not this year!

-ERD50

From reading this thread it seems to me that most of this country has awful weather year 'round, except maybe 6 weeks or so in the fall. It's like a lifetime sentence to extreme discomfort.

No wonder the population has moved west for over 50 years.

Ha

Will it ever be cool again? It was 82 at 7 AM this morning. 95 at 10:30 AM. A lot of day to go!

I'm curious - for those of you in the incessantly hot areas, what do you set your thermostat to in this heat? Being mostly LBYM types here, the setting is probably more conservative than average.

Our house is divided day/night use, two separate systems. Daytime in the living area, I run it on the low side of 77, during the night maybe 83. Bedroom area set to upper 80's day, 78 night, have ceiling fans.

I'm curious - for those of you in the incessantly hot areas, what do you set your thermostat to in this heat?
-ERD50
During the day 75, at night 72 with the ceiling fans a'turnin' 24 hours a day.

I have to be cool and comfortable in my home; 'cause if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy.

It's not as bad here as in some other places but we've had consistent mid-high 80's with high humidity. I know people who have 2 air conditioners running 24/7. I would not like to pay their electric bill. I have never touched my air conditioner. Still has the cover on it from when I bought the place. I have however used the fan at night on a regular basis which is something i've never done in the past. This year is far worse than recent past years. Right now it's 81 in the house and i'm comfortable without the fan but i'll turn it on to sleep. It helps that I live alone and am always in just boxers and a t-shirt unless i'm going to be going somewhere.

From reading this thread it seems to me that most of this country has awful weather year 'round, except maybe 6 weeks or so in the fall. It's like a lifetime sentence to extreme discomfort.

No wonder the population has moved west for over 50 years.

Ha

We don't get 6 weeks of fall here. We'll get highs in the 80's until late september. Then we'll have lows in the 30's by late october. We've even had snow on halloween many times. Same in the spring. We could have snow until early may or we could have 80's at the same time. It's pretty much nothing but extremes around here. This year we had 90 in april follwed by snow early may then 90 again all in a span of less than 3 weeks.

A/C at 80, if I feel uncomfortable. Today: 84 low humidity no A/C.

A/C is a downstairs window unit. Upstairs(bedroom) have a window fan.

104 now. A few puffy clouds sited, but none of them want to get involved :(

104 now. A few puffy clouds sited, but none of them want to get involved :(
Just looked on our weather forecast and we have a 30% chance of rain....maybe if I play some romantic music...

....oh yeah, it feels like 108.

Just looked on our weather forecast and we have a 30% chance of rain....maybe if I play some romantic music...

....oh yeah, it feels like 108.

I suspect that the weather forecasters do that about this time of year, because they are bored and feeling very unwanted. Otherwise, all they can do is mention the heat index, or go on vacation.

I went out to get the mail, felt I walked into an oven set on Bake. I walked fast enough, I didn't want to start smelling something cooking...

Our AC is one of those "dolly" mounted units which can be moved from room to room. The bad news is we only have one room which has both a closing door and a window through which the "plumbing" can be placed. We bought the thing at a garage sale for $100 (retail locally is in the $500 to $600 range). We turned it on a couple of times to see if it works. It did. We've never needed it since. Yeah, I know. "Bragging or complaining."

Just got back from our annual 2-month trek to the frozen tundra of the midwest. Ooops! Make that the sweltering midwest. 90+ most days with high humidity (until a "cold" front came along to bring it down into the high 80s - with T-storms and tornado warnings).

Locally, I woke up last night and felt overly warm for the first time in several months - probably last Oct. It's been getting up to low 80s occasionally (during the day), and last night the Trades quit for a couple of hours. Apparently, I was too disoriented to turn on the ceiling fan, so I laid on the couch, opened the front door to take advantage of the venturi (sp?) effect which gave a nice breeze across the couch. Bliss! Felt kind of stupid upon waking and remembering the ceiling fan in the BR. Come to think of it, the couch sits under a ceiling fan as well. Dooaah!

Last edited:
It's been getting up to low 80s occasionally (during the day), and last night the Trades quit for a couple of hours. Apparently, I was too disoriented to turn on the ceiling fan, so I laid on the couch, opened the front door to take advantage of the venturi (sp?) effect which gave a nice breeze across the couch. Bliss! Felt kind of stupid upon waking and remembering the ceiling fan in the BR. Come to think of it, the couch sits under a ceiling fan as well. Dooaah!

You must live in a really nice area. I live in a relatively low crime area and still wouldn't even consider leaving the door open all night or even during the day for that matter.

You must live in a really nice area. I live in a relatively low crime area and still wouldn't even consider leaving the door open all night or even during the day for that matter.

Ooops! I probably should have noted that I live in a bldg. with good if not perfect security (lots of CCTVs). I also have an enclosed lanai with locked iron gate. DW would still have had a fit if she had discovered my breeze-enhancing trick. :blush:

Just got back from our annual 2-month trek to the frozen tundra of the midwest. Ooops! Make that the sweltering midwest. 90+ most days with high humidity (until a "cold" front came along to bring it down into the high 80s - with T-storms and tornado warnings).

You left the midwest too soon. We have 3-4 days of sunny 78-85 degrees with low humidity in store for us. No T-storms or tornados in the forecast.

You left the midwest too soon. We have 3-4 days of sunny 78-85 degrees with low humidity in store for us. No T-storms or tornados in the forecast.

Ah yes! Cooled off yesterday, A/C got turned off, windows open, low 60's last night, reasonably low humidity. I've got 72F and 62% at my desk right now. Enjoy it while we can, heat returns next week. I better go weed.

-ERD50

Ah yes! Cooled off yesterday, A/C got turned off, windows open, low 60's last night, reasonably low humidity. I've got 72F and 62% at my desk right now. Enjoy it while we can, heat returns next week. I better go weed.

-ERD50

Our "low" last night was 79. Currently 87, headed for 103... I better go [-]smoke some[/-] weed, too. :LOL:

It's raining and has cooled down to 85 degrees!
smiley-happy053.gif

It's raining and has cooled down to 85 degrees!
smiley-happy053.gif

Show off!

I saw some darker clouds off around 4 PM, heard a little thunder in the distance... nothing here, and it didn't get down to 85 degrees here till sometime during the night :(

Saw on the 10 PM TV weather that some had rain and damage from downburst winds. I really think that was just a mass hallucination :cool:

I like your little animation!

Show off!

I saw some darker clouds off around 4 PM, heard a little thunder in the distance... nothing here, and it didn't get down to 85 degrees here till sometime during the night :(

Saw on the 10 PM TV weather that some had rain and damage from downburst winds. I really think that was just a mass hallucination :cool:
Hey...I nearly had to slap myself and make sure I wasn't dreaming. :LOL:
I like your little animation!

Thanks....it's better than this one....
smiley-sad029.gif
..or this
smiley-sad058.gif

:D

Extremely havy thunderstorms with lots of high winds (105 mph) and lightening in the DC area. Batten down the hatches, matey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom