Towns and Cities with Free Public Transportation

Our Public Transit system (THE BUS) is very expensive. I've seen estimates (years back) that each ride costs the system over $5.00. BUT "cost" to most riders (single use) is (IIRC) $2.75. For that fare, you can travel virtually around the Island. Also, seniors can purchase a yearly pass (unlimited rides) for (IIRC) $35. It ain't quite free but cost to riders is very much subsidized - especially for seniors. YMMV

There is a free bus to/from CC Phila to the shipyard. There are no requirements.

The senior rates all over the area are pretty attractive, but exclude rush hour.

Must every discussion devolve into us v. them?

It’s terrible that we have to pay taxes, and that some of it might help a poor soul get across town on a bus...

Though I must agree that nothing is “free”, so let’s call it “subsidized”, or, something a kindergartner would understand, “sharing”.

Problem in KC is it generally takes an hour or so to get anyplace via bus. I know many people I work with have looked into it along with hearing about people traveling to the area with the same complaints. In addition KC has a 1% city earning tax for everybody that works in KC or lives in KC pays.

Would be nice for senior years. I rode the bus for three years to work and back. The price went up fifty cents a ride in my case seven miles each way. They were running a huge deficit and after looking at the numbers they had published it seemed only a few of us were paying to ride it. Everyone else was riding free for one reason or another. It was cheaper for me to drive after that.

Interesting idea, given that farebox recovery is woeful for most public transit. Make it free and save the trouble and cost of collecting fares.

Must every discussion devolve into us v. them?

It’s terrible that we have to pay taxes, and that some of it might help a poor soul get across town on a bus...

Though I must agree that nothing is “free”, so let’s call it “subsidized”, or, something a kindergartner would understand, “sharing”.

"Sharing" is a very nice word. I do it often. Sharing is when I see a need and attempt to meet it because I WANT to meet a need. My single biggest retirement budget item is sharing (some call it charity - and NO, much of my sharing is NOT tax deductible.) But when someone else decides with whom I MUST share, then I no longer call it sharing. I can think of a number of words to describe the process, but "sharing" isn't one of them. I'm not saying it's necessarily "wrong" to subsidize something. I'm just saying it is NOT sharing in the traditional sense of that word. Kindergartners may know what sharing is but understanding subsidy is a bit more complicated. It comes up here quite regularly and we never agree completely on WHAT should be subsidized. Discussing public policy (such as subsidies) can bring on Porky, but I just want to correct the record a bit. "Free" isn't free and subsidy is NOT sharing.

Now returning you to our regularly scheduled discussion of "Free" Public Transportation since YMMV.:flowers:

free public transportation often morphs into mobile homeless shelter

but look at it from their perspective...one of safest places they could be

OP here, I am surprised at the very negative comments on this thread. Personally I think free public transportation is a great way to reduce traffic, reduce parking problems, help seniors, the handicapped and low income people and reduce pollution (especially if electric buses are used). I can't understand all the negativity. The free bus system where I live is very popular, I have never heard any one say they want to do away with it.

OP here, I am surprised at the very negative comments on this thread. Personally I think free public transportation is a great way to reduce traffic, reduce parking problems, help seniors, the handicapped and low income people and reduce pollution (especially if electric buses are used). I can't understand all the negativity. The free bus system where I live is very popular, I have never heard any one say they want to do away with it.

I have to agree! My kiddo attends UNC Chapel Hill and we greatly appreciate the public transportation, not just for him, but for the occasions we’ve used it when visiting. It really makes a positive difference in a college town for sure... especially since parking near the University can be difficult.

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen much in the way of negative comments. I agree with you that reduction in traffic and parking problems are valid reasons to provide public transit AND to (perhaps) subsidize it. What I think we are seeing in the discussion is a reaction to the word "free." When you've lived as long as most of the folks on this forum, you realize that there is no such thing as "free." Free has a really nice connotation so I think we are simply seeing discussion around the "other side" of free. Free costs somebody. I don't see that as negative. I see it as recognizing reality - not value judgement, but YMMV.

I pretty sure that no one on this board thinks anything is free. Perhaps “free to the end user” is more descriptive.

Insert dead horse here...

My peeve is this notion that taxes are somehow theft, when in reality we have “taxation WITH representation”. Often sucks, but whatever sausage comes out of that grinder is our “share”. Try to convince the IRS or your local tax assessor otherwise, and see how well that works. [emoji56]

Came to this thread expecting a nice list of cities with "no fee" "fare-free" "zero-fare" public transportation I might utilize when traveling.

Instead found another contentious thread, this time debating the word "free."

Maybe it's just the threads I'm clicking on, but it seems this board has gotten more hostile lately.

Anyway, for the OP, here's a nice list of cities around the world with "fare-free" public transit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_public_transport

And this one for more limited zero fare local routes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_public_transport_routes

I was recently reading an article that said that Kansas City was the first major U.S. city to provide free public transportation. I did not realize that free busses, etc was so unusual. My town of Chapel Hill, NC has had a free bus system for many years. Chapel Hill is a college town so many of the bus riders are students but the free bus system is extensive and anyone can ride free. Where I live is also very walkable/bikeable. I am lucky that most of my daily trips are car free--I either walk or ride the free bus. About the only time I have to drive is to the grocery store and even then I could take a bus but chose not to for convenience.

Anyone else live where there is free public transportation?

Only about once a year on the coldest day of the year. The city feels bad for the homeless and lets them cruise around for free on the coldest day of the year. :rolleyes:

Came to this thread expecting a nice list of cities with "no fee" "fare-free" "zero-fare" public transportation I might utilize when traveling.

Instead found another contentious thread, this time debating the word "free."

Maybe it's just the threads I'm clicking on, but it seems this board has gotten more hostile lately.

Anyway, for the OP, here's a nice list of cities around the world with "fare-free" public transit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_public_transport

And this one for more limited zero fare local routes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_public_transport_routes

Anon, thank you so much. OP here --This is what I was hoping for --information about cities and towns that do not charge a fare for the use of the transportation (note I am not using the word "free" since that seems to cause some angst). I agree that this board seems to be getting more hostile. Maybe it is the times. Anyway it is sad. I was hoping for a helpful thread. Where I live everyone seems to love the "no fare" buses. I am sure it causes taxes to be slightly higher but I never hear anyone complaining and it certainly makes our beautiful small town more livable. I am also in favor of reducing pollution and helping people out who may not be able to afford bus fare.

hostile? don’t see it unless disagreeing with another poster is considered hostility these days. apologies if my ‘ain’t nuthin free’ post was upsetting to anyone.

hostile? don’t see it unless disagreeing with another poster is considered hostility these days. apologies if my ‘ain’t nuthin free’ post was upsetting to anyone.

OP here, I thought you were making fun of me in your comments and I found the comment to be unhelpful. I am not naive, I know that the fare free bus system where I live is paid by taxes. What I was hoping for was a discussion of town and cities where there are methods to travel by public transportation without payment. I guess I phrased my original post incorrectly by using the term "free."

Next year my wife and I will officially become old fogies so will have bus passes for fare free travel over the whole country :dance:

This is an interesting topic.

I am in the "it's not FREE" because people who do not use it are paying for other's to use it.

I've started to notice the very empty public buses that pass by and I read that the area is looking at going FREE for those that ride (but subsidized by those that do not.)

Then it hit me.....What is the cost to operate and would it be cheaper to give those few folks who ride the bus a free Uber pass? I think it's costing me/us/other people a lot to run those empty buses.

I think the math formula I need to do is "total passengers"/"total cost to operate the bus system after revenue" but for some reason, those statistics seem to be difficult to find.......shocking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom