Trip Reimbursement Insurance

PawPrint53

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone ever had to use trip reimbursement insurance? If so, how difficult was it to get reimbursed?

We purchased a policy through Travel Insured for a rather expensive hiking trip we're taking next week. If the air quality doesn't improve, we won't be able to go for health reasons (my DH has exercise-induced asthma). We've been reading all the fine print, and we have to cancel 48 hours ahead of the trip. We bought the supposedly 'cancel for any reason' policy.

I have used it five times and in every case but one it was very easy to get reimbursed .That one they kept on asking for more documents and that was the cheapest claim.

Most travel insurance policies are slanted toward medical treatment outside of the U.S. or for emergency transportation back to the U.S. in case of illness or accidents. Some will also cover if there are deaths in the family and other situations that don't allow you to go on the trip.

I've never seen a travel policy that pays off for low air quality.

I have never bought "cancel for any reason", but when we have had cancellation that we needed to use (death in the family-- bail on trip, mid way... no issues doing it.

Worked in insurance regulatory field for many years. Even the cancel "for any reason" had fine print...read the entire contract before making your decision based on that insurance coverage.

My wife broke her foot a week before a 32 day cruise. I submitted all the required documentation and was reimbursed (whew)

For the last few years DH and I almost always purchase trip insurance.
(including evacuation for travel outside of continental USA).

We have submitted a claim one time. It took almost a year for reimbursement, but only because the rehab where DH's dad was a patient would not complete the paperwork. The family lawyer's paralegal finally got it done. (We are 1500 miles away.)

We can afford to eat the cost of trip insurance - but seldom the cost of the trips.

I hope you do not have to use it. Sounds like you have a cool trip ahead of you.

My sister buys them for expensive trips... when she went into the hospital she had two trips planned...

One was really easy and she got all back...

Second was a bit more problems and we had to get some forms filled out by her Dr.... took me a bunch of time, but we finally got the money... IIRC it was almost 6 months... I also think it was two different companies...

We bought it for all four cruises that we've booked. It paid off big time when we couldn't get to our cruise ship after hurricane Wilma, fully reimbursing us for the $17,000+ we had spent to take our parents and brothers' families on a seven day Caribbean cruise.

-Wino

Has anyone ever had to use trip reimbursement insurance? If so, how difficult was it to get reimbursed?

We purchased a policy through Travel Insured for a rather expensive hiking trip we're taking next week. If the air quality doesn't improve, we won't be able to go for health reasons (my DH has exercise-induced asthma). We've been reading all the fine print, and we have to cancel 48 hours ahead of the trip. We bought the supposedly 'cancel for any reason' policy.

I see why you bought it.
Any chance the travel guides have an auto (what if someone broke a leg on the hike) that he could use if the air gets to him on some day(s), while you hike on ?

I see why you bought it.
Any chance the travel guides have an auto (what if someone broke a leg on the hike) that he could use if the air gets to him on some day(s), while you hike on ?

The area is accessible only by hiking or rafting. One of the worries is that we might get there when the air is okay, start hiking, and then the air quality turns the next day. Living in the west, I know it can turn bad quickly. In fact, our air quality was supposed to be moderate today, started out moderate and then turned to unhealthy this afternoon. It's kind of a crapshoot.

My DH has a pulmonologist appointment tomorrow, and he is talking to the insurance people to find out what will trigger the 100% reimbursement vs. the 75% reimbursement. We really want to go, though, so it is kind of frustrating to not know if the air will be okay or not.

We bought it for all four cruises that we've booked. It paid off big time when we couldn't get to our cruise ship after hurricane Wilma, fully reimbursing us for the $17,000+ we had spent to take our parents and brothers' families on a seven day Caribbean cruise.

-Wino

Did you do a follow up trip?

Back
Top Bottom