TSA Pat Down

FIYes

Full time employment: Posting here.
My last two trips have resulted in a thorough TSA pat down. I’m starting to wonder why.

I am close to 70 and in the little old lady category. My last run in with law enforcement was a traffic ticket 40 years ago. I’m careful to dress so as to not set off the scanner. I don’t wear an underwire bra. I don’t wear clothing with metallic decorations. On my last trip I even put my bracelet and earrings in my carryon.

I had TSA pre check a few years ago when it came as a credit card bonus. Too cheap to buy it since.

My last pat down was so thorough that I thought “hey you should at least buy me dinner first.” I didn’t say that but I thought it.

Were those trips one-way tickets by any chance?

I recall that at one time anyway that one-way tickets resulted in more scrutiny than round trip tickets. It w sort of silly though because a trouble maker could always just buy a round-trip ticket knowing that the return portion wold not be used.

No they were both round trip.

I don’t fuss or complain when I go through security. I figure the agents have a crummy job dealing with grumpy passengers. I’m curious what is triggering this.

Also, I don’t have any artificial joints.

My wife always seems to get extra scrutiny when going through, but usually its just a very through bag search. I think once she did get a pat-down and I recall her being pretty unnerved about it. I think I was patted down once by TSA. I just got patted down when I went through a metal detector before going into an NBA game, but they used a stick to sort of swap my clothing, rather than there own hands. I guess if I were getting violated, maybe knowing it was just a stick instead of a hand is "slightly" better. Had me pull my pockets inside out and take my shoes off.

My understanding is that they are required to do random checks like that, triggered by an alarm. I've heard a small beep on occasion while going through and immediately been given the routine. I don't think you should concern yourself. It's purely mechanical.

In all my flying I've only only been pat down once. In San Francisco... by another guy. I kind of wished it would be a women. But he took it easy on me. I think their X-ray machine flags where to look because he was focused on my thighs. Somewhat of a weird experience but I take it in stride.

I get pat down most every time. Based on the imaging scan it's most always highlighting under my arm pits so I've attributed it to the zinc/aluminum in my deodorant. In those cases I usually get a quick wanding and pat down across my upper body. The last trip, however, I was afraid I might get a full cavity search. The scan was highlighting my entire front side and the TSA agent did not hold back and (kindly) advised me he wasn't going to. I'm immune to it already. I just walk through the scanner, automatically stop, spread my legs, hold my arms out and just tell them to go for it.

I think their X-ray machine flags where to look because he was focused on my thighs.

The full body scanner has a routine in it that randomly flags some body part for detailed hand scanning. I remember once seeing their screen and it clearly showed a rectangular area, about the size of a deck of cards, on my left shoulder blade.

I asked the TSA guy about that, and he explained it.

While walking through one of those body scanners, security patted my midsection thinking I was hiding something there. Ended up was just a little paunch. Guess I had too many late night snacks :LOL:.

Last edited:
When I traveled frequently for Megacorp I got patted down at least a couple of times a year. If I traveled with a co-worker who was of Egyptian descent, we would bet a non-alcoholic beverage of our choice that at least of one us would get patted down - more than half the time it happened.

The most unusual pat down situation DW and I encountered was on a trip with 3 of our sons. Our two older ones were teenagers, as tall as me at the time, and the three of us were wearing baseball caps, dark shades, baggy clothing, carrying large backpacks. We got through fine. DW was with our youngest who was around 9 at the time, both of them were wearing tighter t-shirts and shorts, DW had just a handbag and youngest son had a small kid back pack. They both got pulled over into the pat down room. Go figure :).

I just deal with it, 99% of the time the TSA agent(s) have been polite and/or apologetic about it, which is good.

I went through one recently. I heard the agent counting. I was 39.

The next person, number 40 was pulled aside for a thorough check.

So...the learning is you do not want to be number 40!

It has to be random chance-- you aren't in the usual category. Unless perhaps you have some lurex fabric or had a flag set by a past inquiry?

My most invasive search was in Germany. It wasn't the full body search, but they do go underneath clothing.

We had a carry on suitcase that went through airport security many, many times. In the US, Canada, Europe, Africa, Asia, etc.

Then we got stopped. The most thorough bag check ever. In Vietnam. Detector picked a nail file. The agent searched through bag twice. Nothing.

Then checked the Xray machine. It was a nail file that slipped under the lining. Spouse thought that she lost it ages ago. Only one airport security caught it..agent in Honoi.

I've asked for the pat down to avoid the xray machine.

This really puts off the TSA agents and they ask if I wouldn't prefer to walk through the machine, guess they don't get a lot of volunteers :LOL:

I think some airports are worse than others... culture thing (ORF likes to go through my checked bags no matter what - so much so that I arrive as late as comfortable to limit the time before it gets loaded on the plane- it must be a boring airport to work). I occasionally trigger pat down but usually it is due to "cargo" style pants with additional pockets causing varying thicknesses that the imaging machine doesn't like. If you have clothing with many pockets or layering that may trigger the pat down.

This really puts off the TSA agents and they ask if I wouldn't prefer to walk through the machine, guess they don't get a lot of volunteers :LOL:

Although I don't fly much these days I always tell the TSA agents that they might as well get out the "wand" because I will set off the walk through scanner. With rods and bolts in my back from a fusion, an artificial knee, a screw in my wrist, and a couple of posts for teeth implants one of them always sets off the scanner. I have only had 2 hands on pat downs but that is probably 20% of the times. I'm OK with it as long as it isn't some 250 lb gorilla.

Cheers!

What x-ray machine?

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/airport_scan.htm

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is using body-scanning units at a number of U.S. airports. These body-scanning units traditionally use millimeter-wave technology.

Millimeter-wave technology uses non-ionizing radiation in the form of low-level radio waves to scan a person’s body. .... Millimeter-wave technology does not use x-rays and does not add to a person’s ionizing radiation dose.

The flight itself however, will expose you to a small amount of ionizing radiation ( ~ 3.3 mrems), far less than we recieve from our environment each year.

-ERD50

I believe it is all random.
When I have traveled with my siblings in the past, my younger brother gets checked, every single time!
I have been pulled to the side the last three trips to Hawaii with DH.

A few years ago I was flying back from a memorial service with my adult son and got pulled aside for a pat down. They called for a female TSA agent and she explained exactly what she was doing. "I'm going to run my hand along your leg until I meet resistance. I'm going to touch your chest with the back of my hand." Etc. I didn't mind, I understand the reason and the process. I kept a polite smile the whole time.

My son was already through the line and putting his shoes back on and looked surprised that I got pulled out of line and was being inspected. I was hoping he'd take a picture of me getting patted down like that but I think we both expected that is frowned upon.

I believe it is all random.

Quite possibly true, and therein lies the problem. Randomly scanning the general public at airports to look for potential "bad guys" is an inefficient waste of resources that burdens all of us (especially older folks like OP). I have seen many older women pulled aside for pat downs in TSA lines over the years, not a single one of whom would remotely match the profile of any known "bad guy" in the history of bad guys. Security theatre run amok, IMHO.

If I ask nicely, will they do it a second time?

OK funny story. I had to go on a business trip with some brand new plastic binders for a proposal. They were swabbed twice going, and I was patted down twice. I figured the binders were out gassing, and that triggered the machine.
On the return trip, it alerted one more time, and I was patted down again. I looked at the guy, and said, "I have been patted down 3 times on this trip, and you are the best looking guy of all". He looked at me and said, "I do not know how to take that":LOL:

I did that once. Asked to avoid the xray machine. "Opt out!" Yelled the TSA guy as loud as he could. "We got an opt out here!!" He yelled again. Then he directed me to stand on some very bright footprints, presumably where all the "Opt out" go to be searched. He made a lot of not so vague threats about what all he would touching while he slowly pulled on his bright blue gloves. I think he was hoping he could change my attitude and get me to "Opt out " of my "Opt out". But I was having fun by this time with everyone in line watching us. So I said "Listen sonny. I've just been through colon cancer and kidney surgeries. I've had my guts laid out all over stainless steel. I've had 6 coloniscopies, 3 CT scans, and countless x-rays. You aren't scaring me, and I assure you that you won't find or touch anything that hasn't already been found and touched by at least a hundred nurses. So you go for it!". And so he did.

Been there more than once, and am not a frequent flyer. One more thing to hate about flying.

Back
Top Bottom