Twitter Employees Resigning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lacking common sense? Poor judgement in the life skills area? Can you give examples?

-ERD50

That tiff he got into with the cave expert, ending up calling the guy a pedo because he made fun of Elon's submarine idea. It was poor judgement to get into that kind of name calling on social media don't you think?

That tiff he got into with the cave expert, ending up calling the guy a pedo because he made fun of Elon's submarine idea. It was poor judgement to get into that kind of name calling on social media don't you think?

Yes, I agree that was bad. Not to make excuses, but he was provoked first with something that shouldn't have been said either:

Unsworth drew the ire of Musk following the rescue when he gave a brief interview to CNN and ridiculed his submarine, which he said “had absolutely no chance of working”. He added that Musk should “stick his submarine where it hurts”.

Even that grievous offense would not make me discount Musk entirely. People make mistakes. People who do big things and have big egos sometimes make big mistakes.

And I'm no Musk fan overall. He dishes out a lot of BS, from the Self Driving Tesla promises, to his misrepresentation of how 'green' and EV is, and his general over-promise-under-deliver. But, he has accomplished a lot, so I think it foolish to underestimate him out of hand.

-ERD50

He’s rapidly causing it to crash and burn.

How rapidly?

I've read that some of the same disgruntled employees who said it couldn't be kept running with the staff that's left, are now saying there is a 50% chance it will crash during the World Cup.

So, IOW, there's a 50% chance it will keep running just fine through the World Cup, even after all these staff cuts?

Musk put up some provocative (to some) polls, which drew millions of posts and votes. Twitter is still up and running (last I heard).

-ERD50

The details (which you left out):

A user went viral for uploading the entirety of The Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift in two minute chunks over a 50 tweet thread. While it’s offline this morning, here’s where things get weirder still:

The media itself was never taken down. Usually, you used to see a “this media cannot be displayed” message when a takedown happens. The tweet and account will be up, but the media is stripped.

So are we talking about a single instance of a copyright violation, a movie in 2 minute segments? Oh, the humanity!

-ERD50

Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
He’s rapidly causing it to crash and burn.
How rapidly?

I've read that some of the same disgruntled employees who said it couldn't be kept running with the staff that's left, are now saying there is a 50% chance it will crash during the World Cup.

So, IOW, there's a 50% chance it will keep running just fine through the World Cup, even after all these staff cuts?

Musk put up some provocative (to some) polls, which drew millions of posts and votes. Twitter is still up and running (last I heard).

-ERD50

Well, the World Cup is near its end, and Twitter seemed to have handled the traffic just fine (AFIAK). It seems Musk was able to keep enough of the people needed to run things, despite all the hoopla that there was just no way to run it after the cuts he made.

It remains to be seen how he'll handle things longer term, can he maintain some form of 'fair speech', can he make a profit through advertising and subscriptions/fees (he sure has cut expenses!)? Buy I think this shows he's not as clueless as many made him out to be.

I have plenty of issues with Musk, but I don't think it is wise to underestimate him., or write him off as some sort of nonfunctional social nutcase.

-ERD50

Twitter needs some dishes broken and Musk is breaking them. He appears to be moving toward a broader audience with more respect for differing views.

He is also exposing some of the wrongdoing and bias, which needs to happen to convince folks that things have changed.

He needs to take it mass market and learn how to better monetize it justify the large purchase price.

I don't know about political posts on Twitter, but I have read of a few posts badmouthing Tesla getting deleted. :) I read about it on electrek.co.

No surprise to me. "Free speech" always has boundaries. It depends on who sets the boundary.

Last edited:
I don't know about political posts on Twitter, but I have read of a few posts badmouthing Tesla getting deleted. :) I read about it on electrek.co.

No surprise to me. "Free speech" always has boundaries. It depends on who sets the boundary.

Have a link? I tried searching, even limit to that site, and all I got was some of Elon's own tweets that he self-deleted.

That line comes to mind "Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear"! Which I recently learned did not originate with the Marvin Gaye hit, but with Edgar Allan Poe.

-ERD50

Musk's method of changing things is to try something out, wait for it to fail, fix it (hopefully) and try again. He did that over and over with the Falcon 9 rocket until he got that darn first stage to land. Today some of the boosters have landed and been reused more than a dozen times.

Let's not forget that his Crewed Dragon spacecraft has been routinely taking people to LEO and back for about three years. Boeing, which got one billion dollars more than SpaceX to build a similar spacecraft, has yet to complete their first manned flight.

My guess is that Twitter will go through a number of policy and tech iterations before he gets it right. Or ditches it for wasting his time.

I must admit that the one thing SpaceX has going for it that Twitter does not is Gwynne Shotwell as president and COO. Besides being a first class leader, she reportedly buffers Musk's sometimes quirky behaviors that might drive things off track. Score a big point for the ladies in Tech.

Have a link? I tried searching, even limit to that site, and all I got was some of Elon's own tweets that he self-deleted.

That line comes to mind "Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear"! Which I recently learned did not originate with the Marvin Gaye hit, but with Edgar Allan Poe.

-ERD50

I never go to Twitter. I was reading an article on electrek.co about Tesla autopilot. It was written by Fred Lambert who is chief editor of electrek.co. He was the one who said some posts by electrek.co on the above subject were deleted because they were negative about Tesla autopilot.

Was Fred Lambert lying? I guess everything is possible. :)

On the other hand, I know that a YouTuber who posted a lot of videos beta-testing Tesla FSD (Full self driving) was also an employee of Tesla. He got fired after showing that his Model 3 ran into a bollard and dented the bumper or fender.

He had a lot more mishaps with FSD than that, but that was the first time he did not catch it in time to override the autopilot. That was also the last, because Tesla subsequently disabled FSD on his personal car.

He had some follow-up videos where he borrowed somebody else's Tesla, and proceeded to show the car would run over all sorts of things on the road (he was watchful and managed to swerve or brake at the last minute). I guess he is already fired, so does not fear retribution now. :)

Last edited:
Recent news -

"Elon Musk’s tweet confirms the installation of staff beds at Twitter’s San Francisco headquarters - The city of San Francisco warned it could crack down on Elon Musk’s latest move to save his $44 billion investment in Twitter from a possible bankruptcy declaration." - https://localtoday.news/us/elon-mus...itters-san-francisco-headquarters-212369.html

Tesla stock down 55% - https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-shares-down-55-buy-191707500.html

"Elon is selling his Tesla shares to help prop up Twitter - Elon Musk is turning once again to his Tesla stock to fund his Twitter habit — and investors are getting frustrated.

Why it matters: The precipitous drop in Tesla's stock price illustrates the real-world consequences of Musk's decision to acquire Twitter, and then disrupt the company's operations, scaring off advertisers. - https://www.axios.com/2022/12/15/elon-musk-tesla-stock-twitter

Recent news -

"Elon Musk’s tweet confirms the installation of staff beds at Twitter’s San Francisco headquarters - The city of San Francisco warned it could crack down on Elon Musk’s latest move to save his $44 billion investment in Twitter from a possible bankruptcy declaration." - https://localtoday.news/us/elon-mus...itters-san-francisco-headquarters-212369.html

Tesla stock down 55% - https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-shares-down-55-buy-191707500.html

"Elon is selling his Tesla shares to help prop up Twitter - Elon Musk is turning once again to his Tesla stock to fund his Twitter habit — and investors are getting frustrated.

Why it matters: The precipitous drop in Tesla's stock price illustrates the real-world consequences of Musk's decision to acquire Twitter, and then disrupt the company's operations, scaring off advertisers. - https://www.axios.com/2022/12/15/elon-musk-tesla-stock-twitter

Someone is not a Elon fan. Another mistake of mixing politics with business.
Although Coke made the same mistake, and I don't remember them paying a price for it.

Someone is not a Elon fan. Another mistake of mixing politics with business.
Although Coke made the same mistake, and I don't remember them paying a price for it.

Oh, I never liked the guy because of the brutal work hours for his employees, way before he ever bought Twitter. I'm not into long work hours, which is why I FIREd.

But my opinion aside, the Tesla stock drop, Musks' Tesla sales and the beds at Twitter are all facts and not my opinions.

Last edited:
Oh, I never liked the guy because of the brutal work hours for his employees, way before he ever bought Twitter. I'm not into long work hours, which is why I FIREd.

But my opinion aside, the Tesla stock drop, Musks' Tesla sales and the beds at Twitter are all facts and not my opinions.

Enticing employees to work long work hours by giving bonus and stock options is quite OK with me. I read that some developed countries don't even like that, and I don't agree.

On the other hand, demanding long work hours by deploying sticks instead of carrots is a big no-no to me. We are not talking about soldiers defending their country here. We are talking about making someone else richer. Hah!

Last edited:
With this thread being in the "Active Investing" forum, I think sharing this article is appropriate.

It says that Musk is seeking investors to buy Twitter's shares at the same price he paid for it: $54.20/share.

With Twitter still being a private company, you cannot buy a mere few hundred shares at your brokerage. But it will be interesting to see when Twitter goes public again.

See: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...A15nhWi?cvid=e85611356ca9434686680b5350533ecd

Last edited:
I never go to Twitter. I was reading an article on electrek.co about Tesla autopilot. It was written by Fred Lambert who is chief editor of electrek.co. He was the one who said some posts by electrek.co on the above subject were deleted because they were negative about Tesla autopilot.

Was Fred Lambert lying? I guess everything is possible. :) ...

Oh, I certainly would not accuse Fred Lambert of lying, but I would like to see the source documents. I've given up on believing what someone said about what happened (the media has cured me of that!) - I want to see the source.

Maybe those tweets also contained other violations that ended up in their deletion?

Given all the focus on Musk and Twitter right now, I'd think that if Musk actually deleted negative Tesla tweets solely because they were negative to Tesla, it would be front page and "breaking" news on TV and every 'news' web site. But it's not (at least that I could find).

-ERD50

Oh, I certainly would not accuse Fred Lambert of lying, but I would like to see the source documents. I've given up on believing what someone said about what happened (the media has cured me of that!) - I want to see the source.

Maybe those tweets also contained other violations that ended up in their deletion?

Given all the focus on Musk and Twitter right now, I'd think that if Musk actually deleted negative Tesla tweets solely because they were negative to Tesla, it would be front page and "breaking" news on TV and every 'news' web site. But it's not (at least that I could find).

-ERD50

The info I gave is sufficient for someone interested to go look on electrek.co. It is not important enough for me to spend the time to look for it again.

About the media not caring about this, well, people are more interested in political stuff. People never care about facts regarding self-driving technology or follow it as I do.

For an example, there was a discussion here on this forum about the recent fusion energy news. Does the media understand it to talk about it?

PS. I have not read much that Lambert wrote. On the other hand, I have seen plenty of Musk's presentation on technical stuff, and my doubt about his honesty carries over to his other proclamations.

Last edited:

Enticing employees to work long work hours by giving bonus and stock options is quite OK with me.

Back in my work day, 80 hour, 7 day weeks were not uncommon. Having a (company paid) room at the hotel next door minimized my commute too. But, let's just say the rewards were very, very well worth it and one of the reasons I was able to RE.

I also traveled internationally about 200 days a year which usually meant 6am to midnight days, but the weekends on the road allowed a welcome break.

Last edited:
Back in my work day, 80 hour, 7 day weeks were not uncommon. Having a (company paid) room at the hotel next door minimized my commute too. But, let's just say the rewards were very, very well worth it and one of the reasons I was able to RE.

The reward from my megacorp was not enough to get me to stay. I got nothing more than the guys who put in less time and provided less results.

There was no point in complaining. Hence, I quit and tried to have my own business, and when that failed, I did part-time contract work for 10 more years, then RE'ed.

PS. And they still reach out to me to get me to come back for consulting. No, I now make more money selling options, in less time and for more money, sitting at my breakfast table drinking coffee. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom