Unexpected Guest - a Dog (Long)

I am not sure which would upset me more . The dog or the girlfriend you never met . My SO's sons would pop in with strange girlfriends we had never met or did not know they were coming . At least with a dog there are crates .

A lot of auto parts stores will sell shallow plastic pans to put under cars that drip oil. One of those sized to fit the crate would protect the floor. Your brother could take it with him so he's covered for other visits. I saw a plastic one on Amazon for $10 so relatively inexpensive compared to carpet or wood flooring. Just a thought, hope you enjoy the visit otherwise.

I have a dog and would not impose like that even with family. Seems he could put it in a nearby kennel for a few dollars.

Why doesn't he have a collapsible crate that has a bottom with a removable pan in it? That's what we use.

A few weeks ago I bought the largest folding crate I could find on Amazon for about $60 with free shipping. It is about 30" X 48" , totally enclosed with 2 doors, a plastic slide out tray that covers the floor, and folds flat. Some towels or carpet to sleep or pee on and he is good to go. :D

Maybe something your brother should invest in before taking the dog on vacation with him and staying in other folks homes and/or motels.

Cheers!

Concur with the plastic drop cloth, plus make sure your brother takes the dog out for a walk frequently.

At least you got notice. My late wife's uncle and aunt told us they were coming, but did not mention they were bringing their dog:confused:

Did I ever tell you about my uncle, the elephant trainer? Well.....one holiday......

Why can't they just kennel the dog like other people do? Although some people like to think of their pets as "family", they're not family to everyone...they're just animals.

Some people consider that family should welcome family into their homes...whether it be adults at various stages of life, kids, or pets. I was treated to a photo of the dog running free in the seemingly nice home of the girlfriend's daughter, where they are staying before visiting us. So, the GF's family are nice to the dog, while Amethyst's family are mean and expect it to stay in a box?

I don't know why my brother is being cheap about kennels. Who knows, maybe they are planning a trip around the world and will need money! :LOL:

Amethyst

Why can't they just kennel the dog like other people do? Although some people like to think of their pets as "family", they're not family to everyone...they're just animals.

I would never impose my dog, or any other animal, on my friends unless I knew they wanted the animal at their house. Just like I would never take a screaming 8 month old into a restaurant an ruin other's experience. And, if an animal came between being with my family/friends and myself, the animal would be history.

Reactions: W2R
Some people consider that family should welcome family into their homes...whether it be adults at various stages of life, kids, or pets. I was treated to a photo of the dog running free in the seemingly nice home of the girlfriend's daughter, where they are staying before visiting us. So, the GF's family are nice to the dog, while Amethyst's family are mean and expect it to stay in a box?

I don't know why my brother is being cheap about kennels. Who knows, maybe they are planning a trip around the world and will need money! :LOL:

Amethyst

Kennels may require additional vaccinations that the dog may not have. That said I'd never impose my dog as a guest in someone else's home. I do think that the pen augmented by a plastic sheet is a safe approach. We have a similar pen that we have used on occasion and also use an old comforter which can be washed in case of an accident. I also believe that all dogs should be crate-trained. Unless there is something wrong with the dog, once an adult and crate-trained, it should be able to be in the crate overnight as long as they have a decent walk outdoors before going in and immediately after being taken out of the crate. It also helps not to let the animal fill up on water prior to going in the crate. Of course that means the owner must take responsibility for a late night walk as well as an early morning one.

Walks should be both long and frequent. 45 minutes out of every hour should do it!

Back
Top Bottom