Update on our retirement in the villages FL

crispus

Recycles dryer sheets
After 6 months here life has settled into a more normal routine. I gained the freshman 15, now I have cut back some on the booze. I play golf 3-4 times a week got my handicap index down to 5.7. We have made some new friends and go out to eat about three dinners per week. Prices at the restaurants are quite reasonable. If you are looking for fine dinning there are not too many choices though. Bonefish grill is about the best you get. We have traveled to Orlando ( about fifty minutes) several times for dinner.
We love our home here it is very comfortable and conducive for guests.
At fifty seven years old we are on the young side, but it certainly does not feel like an old age home.

Attachments

• image-3821656992.jpg
    image-3821656992.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 84
You look and sound very happy. That's excellent, congrats and laissez les bons temps rouler...

You look and sound very happy. That's excellent, congrats and laissez les bons temps rouler...

+1

I am so glad to hear that your retirement at The Villages is working out this well! :dance: Sounds like your adjustment to your new home is going perfectly.

We just got our first Bonefish Grill here, but haven't dined there yet due to procrastination. Plus, somehow I got the impression that they may be a little expensive for what they offer.

crispus said:
After 6 months here life has settled into a more normal routine. I gained the freshman 15, now I have cut back some on the booze. I play golf 3-4 times a week got my handicap index down to 5.7. We have made some new friends and go out to eat about three dinners per week. Prices at the restaurants are quite reasonable. If you are looking for fine dinning there are not too many choices though. Bonefish grill is about the best you get. We have traveled to Orlando ( about fifty minutes) several times for dinner.
At fifty seven years old we are on the young side, but it certainly does not feel like an old age home.

I here great things about the Villages. Nothing wrong with a few drinks to settle into a new place! Are the golf courses crowded? Do you drive around the community in a golf course? I would like to settle into a 55 community, but probably out west for low humidity, skiing, and less bugs.

Thanks for updating your Villages retirement. I have been curious about them for quite some time. I agree with the others that you look and sound happy! That is what retirement is all about in my book.

Crispus,

Good to hear you like The Villages. DH and i are coming for the Lifestyle visit in September. I read Leisureville and check The Villages forum daily; i find the whole concept quite intriguing.

Please post more when you can. :)

We are also visiting soon. Do you find the clubhouses and pools crowded? Did you find some groups that you like to attends (ie. card playing, hobby etc.). How's the weather? (that might be a better question in August.)

So glad to hear you are happy. We have visited several retirement communities as we make our decision and they seem to be full of happy people which is what draws us.

Are there a lot of vacant houses in the Villages with all the Florida housing crisis?

Thank you for the update.
crispus said:
After 6 months here life has settled into a more normal routine. I gained the freshman 15, now I have cut back some on the booze. I play golf 3-4 times a week got my handicap index down to 5.7. We have made some new friends and go out to eat about three dinners per week. Prices at the restaurants are quite reasonable. If you are looking for fine dinning there are not too many choices though. Bonefish grill is about the best you get. We have traveled to Orlando ( about fifty minutes) several times for dinner..

Sounds good. Nice to hear what people decide to do and how it works out.

We did the lifestyle visit back in Feb/March and we plan to visit this summer to get a feel for the weather. We were happy to leave the Texas summer heat so I'm not sure how this is going to play.

Bonefish Grill isn't that bad, but there are some very nice restaurants in Orlando and a 50 minute drive isn't that bad considering. Good to know things are working out.

I here great things about the Villages. Nothing wrong with a few drinks to settle into a new place! Are the golf courses crowded? Do you drive around the community in a golf course? I would like to settle into a 55 community, but probably out west for low humidity, skiing, and less bugs.

When we first bought a place in southern AZ we were amazed by the number of people who had moved to AZ from FL or the gulf of TX. When asked why, their common response was humidity.

DW, who lived in AZ at one time, always thought it was funny when people would mention that the extreme heat wasn't too bad because it was a "dry" heat. "So is my oven" said DW. "Hop in".

JOHNNIE36 said:
DW, who lived in AZ at one time, always thought it was funny when people would mention that the extreme heat wasn't too bad because it was a "dry" heat. "So is my oven" said DW. "Hop in".

I know its a personal preference thing, but humidity just saps my enthusiasm to do anything. Just got back from Vegas and walked all over the strip at 90 degrees and it felt like 75. Now I know when it hits 115 there is nowhere to hide outside, but when the sun goes down and its 100 out in AZ/NV I thought it to be very comfortable. I like sitting outside in evening and you don't sweat at 100 and the sun down, and just as important I never had to smack at bugs. Too me anyways, its hard to enjoy being outside on the porch in the evening when sweating and fighting the bugs off.

I know its a personal preference thing, but humidity just saps my enthusiasm to do anything. Just got back from Vegas and walked all over the strip at 90 degrees and it felt like 75. Now I know when it hits 115 there is nowhere to hide outside, but when the sun goes down and its 100 out in AZ/NV I thought it to be very comfortable. I like sitting outside in evening and you don't sweat at 100 and the sun down, and just as important I never had to smack at bugs. Too me anyways, its hard to enjoy being outside on the porch in the evening when sweating and fighting the bugs off.

I understand completely. And, I want to experience it myself someday. I have never been to AZ, NM or NV.

Lived there myself back in the early 70s. Fun times when you want to leave town and the planes can't take off due to the heat (115+):D

While everyone has their own climate preferences, I realized I like humid climates much more than dry climates.

In dry climates you get large daily temperature variations. I personally would not like the climate in Phoenix because it is too *cold* for much of the year outside of mid-day (not to mention too hot during the summer days). Also, many seem to get sinus problems in dry climates.

I was seeking a more humid climate that is in my temperature range and then it is easier to enjoy both the day and the evening. I always see people focusing on the daily high temperature whereas I am more focused on the average temperature.

While everyone has their own climate preferences, I realized I like humid climates much more than dry climates.

In dry climates you get large daily temperature variations. I personally would not like the climate in Phoenix because it is too *cold* for much of the year outside of mid-day (not to mention too hot during the summer days). Also, many seem to get sinus problems in dry climates.

I was seeking a more humid climate that is in my temperature range and then it is easier to enjoy both the day and the evening. I always see people focusing on the daily high temperature whereas I am more focused on the average temperature.

Hi Kramer. I guess your preference for more humidity and less variation in temp is what led you to stay closer to the equator.

110 in Vegas I can handle. I don't like it, but its tolerable. 95 in Anaheim and I'm done. I don't do humidity but then again, I was born and still live in Nevada. It doesn't even get muggy when it rains.

Sounds nice Crispus and the pic makes it look very inviting.

As a Texan I've lived with humidity lifelong and I'm used to it, but I would prefer the dry heat. We toyed with moving to that kind of climate, but with family all here decided not to move.

Having lived in the Baltimore DC area most of my life, I can assure you that the humidity and temperatures are no worse only a longer period. The temps are actually not as extreme as Maryland. Highs in Maryland were frequently in the upper nineties to low 100's. Here I am told it rarely gets above low nineties. The best part about Florida is the amount of sunny days.

Watch out for the Bang Bang Shrimp at Bonefish Grille. It's tasty and addicting.

When we first bought a place in southern AZ we were amazed by the number of people who had moved to AZ from FL or the gulf of TX. When asked why, their common response was humidity.
Interesting discussion of humidity. That has been my experience. Moving down to the Rio Grande Valley meant a big drop in humidity compared to Central and East TX. In the summer, as temps climb in the afternoon, humidity quickly drops to 50% if not 40%. This is a very comfortable humidity range. When outside in the shade, it can be 95 degrees, yet feel very comfortable. We usually have a good breeze going too, which makes a difference. The summer evenings are spectacular.

We have high morning humidity (75 to 95%) but only until late morning, then poof! I can't really explain why the humidity profile is like that here other than we are halfway between the gulf and the desert, so maybe we get gulf weather in the morning, and desert weather in the afternoon and evening?

All I know is that I would just die (melting) in the Austin summer heat. Kerrville (west Central TX) was definitely an improvement, but still not that pleasant. Summers in the Valley? No problem! Otherwise we would have never moved here.

Audrey

I'm in the I hate humidity crowd. Then why am I in Seattle? Well, in warm weather our humidity levels are almost always comfortable. It is humid all winter of course- it is often actively raining. But this is not a bother for me or most other people. But the high heat, high humidity found in much of the East is very rare here.

To me, for pure climate, it would be hard to beat the East slopes of the Sierra Nevada, (West slopes are great too!)the area around Reno NV, parts of NM, much of Sonora, MX. If I ever move, not for family, it will be to Reno. In Reno you are an easy bus ride to San Francisco for a high grade big city fix, and for the size of the town Reno offers a lot. Sitting in the Cal- Neva betting baseball will while away some very pleasant afternoons and evenings. And football season? Blessed be football season in NV. Summers and Fall are delightful, and winter and spring not half bad

Ha

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom