What’s wrong with my fish dish?

MuirWannabe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Link to an article about seafood fraud. I never before realized what a problem this actually is. I love my seafood, although quality is hard to come by near me. So, when I get the opportunity, I’ll usually go for it and order the good stuff. The red snapper, or the sea bass, or fancy scallops. Love it all. But am I getting what I thought? This article has me wondering. Is this a concern for you?

https://apple.news/AhJUdmVpNSRaaTYSouQs52g

Not a concern at all for me. I'm allergic to fish so I don't ever buy any. Problem solved.

Not a concern at all for me. I'm allergic to fish so I don't ever buy any. Problem solved.

Same here. Land based meat eater. Not allergic, but I just can’t stand seafood. Everything I’ve ever tried was not desirable to me. Unfortunately, that takes a lot of offerings out of play at the nicer restaurants.

To the OP, if you really like it, stop thinking about it. You were happy before you read the article. So, even if it wasn’t exactly what you thought, it was still the good stuff if you enjoyed it. Forget article and keep doing what you were doing - problem solved.

Same here. Land based meat eater. Not allergic, but I just can’t stand seafood. Everything I’ve ever tried was not desirable to me. Unfortunately, that takes a lot of offerings out of play at the nicer restaurants.

To the OP, if you really like it, stop thinking about it. You were happy before you read the article. So, even if it wasn’t exactly what you thought, it was still the good stuff if you enjoyed it. Forget article and keep doing what you were doing - problem solved.

You may be right Jerry. Maybe I should ignore it. I’m not highly upset. More just surprised to learn about the magnitude of fraud and how big a problem it actually is.

A reason not to ignore it is because I love ordering the good stuff when possible. But now I learn the good stuff could actually be the cheap stuff clothed in good stuff prices. Your supposed to get what you pay for.

Believe me, it won’t stop my ordering quality seafood when I’m able. I just love it too much. But darn it. I’m sure you wouldn’t enjoy ordering a wagyu bone in rib-eye only to learn it was actually sirloin (probably a horrible example [emoji4])

I’m sure you wouldn’t enjoy ordering a wagyu bone in rib-eye only to learn it was actually sirloin (probably a horrible example [emoji4])

I wouldn’t be happy with that - no doubt. However, I would also be able to tell the difference. And yes, I would be upset if I thought I was ordering authentic Japanese waygu and actually got an American raised version. Still, hard to be upset if a spent $100 on a dinner and throughly enjoyed it no matter if it wasn’t exactly what I thought it was.

Last edited:
I suspected it because I have read many stories over the years, especially about sushi.

We pretty much buy seafood at the store these days rather than eat seafood out, and you can see the whole fish for snapper and drum at HEB. HEB and Costco always label where the seafood is sourced which appreciate. They both have high reputations that are very important to them.

Link to an article about seafood fraud. I never before realized what a problem this actually is. I love my seafood, although quality is hard to come by near me. So, when I get the opportunity, I’ll usually go for it and order the good stuff. The red snapper, or the sea bass, or fancy scallops. Love it all. But am I getting what I thought? This article has me wondering. Is this a concern for you?

https://apple.news/AhJUdmVpNSRaaTYSouQs52g

It sucks that there's fraud and people are ripping people off. But this is Earth, and humanity does that. While I love high quality seafood, even mediocre seafood is better than most other things. I'm not going to waste too much time on it. I'm just glad I'll be off the planet before lab grown beef becomes the norm. Cultivated Meat Projected To Be Cheaper Than Conventional Beef by 2030

Last edited:
I tend to buy the cheaper fish, as I don't notice any improvement by going upscale. I have cheap tastes ;)

However, only by buying a whole fish that I could identify would I know for certain what I'm getting.

That article now makes me wonder, do they do the same thing with salmon ?
Or would the fakery be limited to farmed vs live ocean caught.

Fake fish with a side salad dressed in fake olive oil. I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't like much fish. However, on a trip to Greece, our group was encouraged ("forced?") to eat the main fish dish.

It was unbelievably good. Out of the world. Even with the face looking at me. I'm pretty sure we got the real thing, along with real olive oil on their salads. And I gotta say, it made a difference. The Greeks know how to eat.

The Greeks know how to eat.

Plus, they have a lot of olives! :)

Greek olive oil production is in excess of 300,000 tons annually. Greece, even though quite small, holds 3rd place among olive oil producing countries. As much as 70% of all production is Extra Virgin Olive Oil. ... Still, there is enough left for over 1/3 of the annual production (135,000 tons) to be exported.

Can't open the article for whatever reason on my imac. Anyway I never eat tilapia. Seldom eat seafood out of Louisiana. Don't bother asking a waiter where their seafood comes from, if they know or care I don't trust them.
We're fortunate here in Louisiana to have a law that requires stating whether seafood is local or not.

Along the Gulf Coast, grouper is very popular. In the seafood markets real grouper filets are $20 - $30 per lb. More times than not, when we are in a restaurant the "grouper" is not grouper but a cheaper mystery fish. I guess when you can sub $4 fish for $20 fish its to much of a temptation for some. But the consumer bears some responsibility. Many do not know what grouper is and have just heard that it is good. They are likely just as happy with $4 fish.

Can't open the article for whatever reason on my imac. Anyway I never eat tilapia. Seldom eat seafood out of Louisiana. Don't bother asking a waiter where their seafood comes from, if they know or care I don't trust them.
We're fortunate here in Louisiana to have a law that requires stating whether seafood is local or not.

Oh how I love Cajun seafood. Let’s hope it’s not really tilapia buried in some delicious sauce.

I live within two miles of a Gulf Coast commercial fishing marina, I was able to watch 1000s of lbs of fish brought into unload. However, even restaurants only blocks from the marina were caught with fish substitution.
Even had a local fish house importing a certain fish, then re-boxing them as a more expensive fish.

Interesting article.
I like a good fresh fish, if it smells "fishy" it's not fresh enough for me and I will pass.

Grouper piccata for dinner. I know its grouper because I caught it myself. Or, maybe I mislabled it when it went into the freezer. Because I know I prefer grouper to less expensive fish that I occasionally catch. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20210316_164854750.jpg
    IMG_20210316_164854750.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 18
I remember while working as a bartender during college in the 70's the restaurant was starting an "all your can eat catfish" special. We had a taste test and none of us were impressed. Turned out the catfish was imported from S. America somewhere. It was catfish but not fresh and not the same variety we were all accustomed to. The restaurant nixed that idea.
It's both a blessing and a curse living in S. Louisiana. Our seafood is fresh and usually seasoned to perfection. My 2 sons are boiling crawfish for my birthday this weekend! Can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom