What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Philliefan33, i took your recommendation, and visited the Pine Creek rail trail on October 6th and 7th. DW and i rode bikes 40 miles on Friday, and then hiked at Leonard Harrison state park on Saturday. We stayed in Wellsboro, we enjoyed this small town. We had a great time, and will probably visit again. https://photos.app.goo.gl/yGYnrwMuA0Uir18t2

That's my kind of weekend!

Threw down on 2017 Triumph Bonneville T120. Official start of my mid-life crisis. :dance:

Good for you, you made me smile - :)

BMW R1200RT
Triumph T-100
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki Burgman 650

21314660780_103ea3e468_z.jpg

Drove down to the metropolitan home this morning. I finished the deck railing at the high-country boondocks home yesterday late afternoon, and it was windy and a bit chilly. Woke up this morning to 20F temperature outside. Inside, it was 60F with no heating, so was not too bad.

DW was anxious to start work on the backyard vegetable garden of the main home, in order to get a head start on the cool weather crop.

Continued cleaning the garage and made some headway into my speaker brackets for the backyard "outdoor home theater". Ordered up the 106 inch screen. Designing the projector stand.

Woke up at 4:00AM wondering what was wrong with my right bottom molar! WOW. I must have broken another crown.

I called my new dentist and got a 3:00PM appointment.

I was a little leary of him as in my first year he's replaced two older crowns. He'd always shown me why but...my last dentist walked on water.

Today I fully expected another crown replacement. After all it took 3 xrays. I could see some porcelain missing from the suspect crown. The tech said the "Doctor will be in shortly". It sounded serious.

He thought I was grinding one tooth heavily(I grind) and took a little off the top! Life is so much better now.

Later I thought he could have easily told me I needed to replace the crown. How would I have known?

I'm happy ethics still exist.

Last edited:
Played golf. Read some of my book club selection. Fooled around here. Watched some YouTube videos. Made dinner.

Went Dove hunting near Marble Falls, TX (got my limit of 15 doves) and made it in time over to Llano, TX for some Cooper's BBQ for some brisket and some blackberry cobbler - going to sleep well tonight.

Took DW to her first PT class after heart valve replacement surgery. One of 36 planned sessions. Picked her up in an hour and a half. She's not driving anymore. She said she is a wimp. Well, we will see after 12 more weeks.

Got home at 1:00 Pm with her and she promptly went to bed for a nap. I went outside and washed the car as it was 76 F outside. Maybe summer is finally gone.

Almost nothing. Washed all the clothes for my trip to Japan, went for a hike, and let my sister vent about the Santa Rosa fires. Kept trying to reassure her "that's why you have fire insurance, that's why you have fire insurance." But really what she just needed to do was to let it out as to why it is so unfair that her city is going through this. (Evacuated but still has her house, now back home) That makes me feel a little helpless because I can't do anything to make it better other than lending her an ear

Took DW to her first PT class after heart valve replacement surgery. One of 36 planned sessions. Picked her up in an hour and a half. She's not driving anymore. She said she is a wimp. Well, we will see after 12 more weeks.

Got home at 1:00 Pm with her and she promptly went to bed for a nap. I went outside and washed the car as it was 76 F outside. Maybe summer is finally gone.

How's Mrs. AJA doing this morning?
What kinds of temps do you have Fall thru Spring?

Funny thing. I got a notice from my HOA that AT&T will be digging up the easements to install fiber optic in our community.

The reason it's funny - a few years ago they offered a high speed fiber internet connection", and I subscribed to it. It didn't perform, and during the third tech visit, I got the tech to admit it was only sub-par ADSL signal - one step above dial-up. He wouldn't even look me in the eye when he confirmed there was no fiber anywhere near our address. So, I sent them packing and went back to a not-quite-that-bad Comcast signal that still sucked, but less so.

A year ago, after a long stretch of spotty Comcast signal availability, I got an AT&T mailer offering fiber to my address. I called and chatted with an agent, and described the past episode where they had outright lied. He acknowledged the lie, and then went on to confirm they had laid the fiber and my address now was "fiber enabled" right up to the street address, with no more than 40 feet of copper signal "not fiber". When I expressed doubts, he said he double-checked and "guaranteed" the fiber was there.

And here they are, more than a year later, announcing their plans to install that fiber in the next few months. I don't blame the agent - he probably didn't even know, just reads from a screen. For the company, however, this is not spin or marketing talk, it's outright lying.

The worst part of this, though, is I'll probably get it anyway - because there is only one alternative, it is equally dishonest, but possibly even less reliable.

I’ve been traveling around Colorado for the past week, just relaxing and enjoying the scenery. Remembered that today is the 16th anniversary of my last day of w*rk so took advantage of being in Fort Collins to visit one of my favorite breweries (New Belgium) to have a good one. I generally try to mark the date each year, since it means more to me than my birthday. :)

A few more days out here and then back home, but I’ll be back in January for some skiing. Life is good.

Begrudgingly spent the better part of the day replacing the ignition coil, wires and plugs on the "too rusty to pass inspection" snow plow truck that will find a final resting place in the junkyard next spring. At least it (so far) seems to start reliably. Will spend the winter looking for $$$ to fund the purchase of another not-so-rusty plow truck....

Attachments

• 20171011_153035[1].jpg
    20171011_153035[1].jpg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 36
splitwdw; said:
How's Mrs. AJA doing this morning?
What kinds of temps do you have Fall thru Spring?

Thanks for asking. She's very early into the PT and feels OK. I believe this is because the PT nurses took it easy on her this week. But that will change and it will be a long process. According to her Cardio Doc, her heart is operating normally 6 weeks after the valve replacement. The issues are COPD and 12 months of virtually no exercise (remember 4 compression fractures of her vertebrae and subsequent surgery in February).

Here on the north side of Houston, Fall through Spring is the best time of all with generally lower humidity, temperatures that can be as low as the 30's overnight, and going into the 70's during the day. In January or February, it is common to have a few days to a week of freezing temperature at night, but rarely below the high 20's. We get snow once every 6 years and it lasts for a day.

No White Christmases here!

For me (the Northerner) it is sweatshirt weather but for native Texans, it's heavier clothes, earmuffs, gloves and windbreakers.:D

Oh dear. Over breakfast, DH just mentioned that he thinks we should do some things to minimize taxes/effect RMDs/estate planning. The problem is that his ideas are not fully informed and in some cases just plain wrong. He hears that someone recommends something, only half understands it, then extrapolates.

I put him off a little by saying, "well, that might work, but let me set up some spreadsheets to run the numbers".

I've got some teaching to do.

Here's an example...DH was under the impression that if he dies before me, I would have to withdraw (and pay taxes on) the entire balance in his TSP.

Here's an example...DH was under the impression that if he dies before me, I would have to withdraw (and pay taxes on) the entire balance in his TSP.

Difficult indeed. Just remember - small, digestible chunks of information. Too much at once can overwhelm people who aren't into all this.

Made yogurt in the new Instant Pot ordered on sale from Amazon last week. Wow, that was easy, cheap, and better-tasting than store-bought. Definitely LBYM.
I bought my IP during the Amazon prime day sale for the sole purpose of making yogurt in it and I have yet to do it. I have made a whole lot of other things in my IP but not yogurt. Thank you for motivating to actually doing with the IP what I originally set out to do... I also want to try a cheescake in it. lol

I’ve been traveling around Colorado for the past week, just relaxing and enjoying the scenery. Remembered that today is the 16th anniversary of my last day of w*rk so took advantage of being in Fort Collins to visit one of my favorite breweries (New Belgium) to have a good one. I generally try to mark the date each year, since it means more to me than my birthday. :)

A few more days out here and then back home, but I’ll be back in January for some skiing. Life is good.
Headed to Colorado Springs for Thanksgivings with some good friends of ours and heard the micro brews in Colorado were amazing. Can't wait to experience them.

Thanks for asking. She's very early into the PT and feels OK. I believe this is because the PT nurses took it easy on her this week. But that will change and it will be a long process. According to her Cardio Doc, her heart is operating normally 6 weeks after the valve replacement. The issues are COPD and 12 months of virtually no exercise (remember 4 compression fractures of her vertebrae and subsequent surgery in February).

Here on the north side of Houston, Fall through Spring is the best time of all with generally lower humidity, temperatures that can be as low as the 30's overnight, and going into the 70's during the day. In January or February, it is common to have a few days to a week of freezing temperature at night, but rarely below the high 20's. We get snow once every 6 years and it lasts for a day.

No White Christmases here!

For me (the Northerner) it is sweatshirt weather but for native Texans, it's heavier clothes, earmuffs, gloves and windbreakers.:D
Over here in Cypress, we have had a couple of nice days as well. Nice to be able to spend more than 30 minutes outside without sweating to death. I love the weather here from early October to April/May... Tryna convince the DW to take the kiddo out of school early and stay out of the heat for the three/ four month of crazy heat but she hasn't it yet.

My completed list for today :

1. Help sister unpack her car, looks like she won't be evacuated again for the Santa Rosa fires

2. Packed for leaving for Japan / Korea this weekend

3. Put the mail service on hold

4. Set bank account to auto draft $1000 to savings, $375 to that checking account that will cover GS' college when he graduates, & $500 to Schwab checking account while I'm gone. That $500 will cover the walkway repair that I had the guy do yesterday. The $1375 happens every month so I added it to all standard bills already on auto pay

5. Cancelled sodas and more package on the cruise. I really don't like soda that much, I'm not sure I'm going to drink 2 mocktails a day, so that made it an unnecessary expense

Only thing left to do: :) hike .... particulants down to 168 ppm so it's okay .... did 4 miles yesterday when it was 224 ppm so I'm sure this will be fine

Last edited:
Paid $600 to have my aerobic septic system pumped. Parting words from the owner/operator as he took my payment: "That might smell like sh!t to you but it smells like money to me!"

Gave away a six channel microphone mixer, along with a bunch of XLR connectors to a youngster who does sound editing for new kiddie bands. He tries to make them sound better than they are on their giveaway CDs.:LOL: I will call this another small step in de-cluttering.

Went figure skating. On the way home slogged through traffic of nearby town zoo, I mean the Fort Day festivities. This mayhem is once a year fortunately, but lasts three days. Yukkk, I do hate large crowds.

Tonight Argentine Tango class.
160784656.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom