What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen one of those that wasn't on a military base. Used to be fairly common to see them on base though. A place for the guys in the barracks to work on their vehicles, I think they were run by MWR iirc. Nice to hear the concept is available elsewhere these days (glad I don't need it, but nice to hear).

Thats the only place I have seen them also, helped a friend that was in the Air Force change a transmission at McGuire AFB in New Jersey.

Thats the only place I have seen them also, helped a friend that was in the Air Force change a transmission at McGuire AFB in New Jersey.

I used the Air Base shop when I was a teenager (Dad was AF). I completely rebuilt the engine in my $50. car with no knowledge of engines or mechanics whatsoever. Started with a used Chilton's manual (remember those?) - page 1, "Open hood".

I remember at one point having the engine spread across three benches in the shop, looking over it, and thinking, "I'll NEVER get this back together" Have some great stories from working there that summer.

When I was done, I had about 15 or so parts leftover that I had no idea what they went to. I put 96,000 miles on that car before selling it, so I guess they weren't mandatory.:D

Google shows several DIY garages in various cities around the country, but doesn't appear to be any "chain" businesses (yet). Not sure if the business model for that would be too good these days.....

Google shows several DIY garages in various cities around the country, but doesn't appear to be any "chain" businesses (yet). Not sure if the business model for that would be too good these days.....
I think it would be a tough business to make a profit in. They also rent UHaul trucks and trailers for extra income. And SE Michigan is still depressed as far as real estate goes, so their rent is probably low compared to a national average.

Great for me as a new apartment dweller.

Went ice fishing. I didn't catch anything after a couple of hours. Went home and had a bowl of soup.

Spent the entire day at the hospital today as DW was in for a kyphoplasty procedure for the two fractured vertebrae in her mid-back area.

I hope her recovery goes well for both of you.

Today I had the last of the stitches removed from the melanoma surgery a bit over two weeks ago, then made a minor grocery run, then Outback for a late lunch/early dinner. Oh, and mailed the state tax return and the check for the federal return.

Took the nanny out to the dept store to buy her a hat, now she can take my son to the park in this 85 degree heat and I can get back to my nap.

...then Outback for a late lunch/early dinner. Oh, and mailed the state tax return and the check for the federal return.

I could eat a whole loaf of just their appetizer bread. And chase it with a blooming onion. So good.

Went to my new PCP about BP. Walked out with a script for the same med at double dosage. I said a couple of things that earned me a CT scan. I'm guessing it will be as insightful as the last one(sinuses).

We did walk through the results of my bloodwork and I was impressed with the amount of time she'd put into it. For an MD I was impressed on her knowledge of nutrition.

Went ice fishing. I didn't catch anything after a couple of hours. Went home and had a bowl of soup.

Where are you fishing and what are you hoping to catch?

This reminds me - when DW and I first lived in Iowa we were driving up to the Twin Cities for a recital and she suddenly exclaims, "Look at all those people and trucks out on the lake! What in the world are they doing?" Thirty years later I still don't think she is totally convinced that ice fishing is a real thing. Although she did always enjoy the news stories about the pickups that fell through the ice when people would try to rush (or extend) the season.

City girls, what can you do? :facepalm:

Thanks to all who wished DW a quick recovery. It's been hard on both of us, especially her because I am not good at being a caretaker, but I am getting the practice at it. :facepalm:

I'm not sure what normal is anymore, but do any of us really know?:D

Thanks to all who wished DW a quick recovery. It's been hard on both of us, especially her because I am not good at being a caretaker, but I am getting the practice at it. :facepalm:

I'm not sure what normal is anymore, but do any of us really know?:D

We are all in the new normal . Glad your wife is recovering.

Where are you fishing and what are you hoping to catch?

This reminds me - when DW and I first lived in Iowa we were driving up to the Twin Cities for a recital and she suddenly exclaims, "Look at all those people and trucks out on the lake! What in the world are they doing?" Thirty years later I still don't think she is totally convinced that ice fishing is a real thing. Although she did always enjoy the news stories about the pickups that fell through the ice when people would try to rush (or extend) the season.

City girls, what can you do? :facepalm:

A small lake on the prairie and there is Blue Gills, Perch and Trout. Snow is deep and crusted over so have to walk to get on lake. I enjoy winter sports and pick good days to be out in it all I can.

Last edited:
Went to Total Wine & More to pick up a few new beers to try. I should probably pay more attention to which ones I like, but I'm just having fun trying these new things. Beer number 2 now is amazing. And 3. Somehow the SO got me two glasses. I'm not complaining. :D

We also wound up out of town today to try a little specialty ice cream shop by a college. They make their ice cream with honey. If anyone makes their ice cream at home, making ice cream with honey instead of sugar is amazing.

We also wound up out of town today to try a little specialty ice cream shop by a college. They make their ice cream with honey. If anyone makes their ice cream at home, making ice cream with honey instead of sugar is amazing.

Speaking of colleges, if you're ever in the middle of Pennsylvania (what, that's not a destination? :D ) you definitely should stop in at Penn State. They have an ice cream shop called the Creamery that is legendary. Very much worth a visit. Chalk it up to academic research. :LOL:

Penn State Berkey Creamery

Made a bracket for my stove insert project and stuffed rock wool into the flue gap. Installed the flue liner and made the stove connection last weekend. The surround goes on tomorrow and the first fire will be made.

32490958571_9f81518872_z.jpg

Speaking of colleges, if you're ever in the middle of Pennsylvania (what, that's not a destination? :D ) you definitely should stop in at Penn State. They have an ice cream shop called the Creamery that is legendary. Very much worth a visit. Chalk it up to academic research. :LOL:

Penn State Berkey Creamery

I grew up in the middle of PA. I got the out and escaped.

I grew up in the middle of PA. I got the out and escaped.
Amen! My late wife went to Penn State and escaped to CA. She got word of her 50th HS reunion in Pittsburgh, and 90% of the graduates still lived there:(

Brought my lab home from the vet yesterday. He ate something bad on the golf course when letting him run off leash. Stayed in the animal hospital for almost a week. It was touch and go for a while but he's eating a bland diet now and looks much better. An expensive snack. No more running off leash!

Glad to hear the pooch is better. Golf courses often use some rather nasty chemicals.

Glad to hear the pooch is better. Golf courses often use some rather nasty chemicals.

True. I usually keep him in the wooded areas where they don't spray. That's where I've caught him nibbling on something before. Probably got into an animal's poop. Disgusting I know. I'm just glad he had no blockage. Vet hinted that was a possibility in the early going. He's already had one scope job.....swallowed a fish hook on a walking trail near a lake.

Nice looking stove and work you have done. Have you used it yet?
I have a small cabin/shack I spend time at and love to fire up the wood stove. I make dinner on it and boil water for coffee etc. Nothing better then sitting by the fire on a winter day counting your money! Lol I mean reading a book. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom