What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being frugal as I am I had a riding lawnmower that just is wore out. The gas engine on the mower was good and runs like a top. So I tore the rider down but saved the engine and starter to sell or maybe someone can use it. I just couldn't throw it away I see a few dollars in my eyes. LOL

Doing laundry today. Yes, even retirees have to do laundry now and then. Later today, I have my post op checkup with the oral surgeon, and then I don't have to go back until July. I can eat anything (well, anything that my waistline can tolerate), now.

On my daily noonish walk saw a squirrel sitting on and demolishing a bird feeder under a big clear plastic inverted-saucer squirrel protector.

I went for a walk with my husband. We went groceries shopping then stop at a restaurant for lunch. Afterwards we had a small scoop of ice cream from Baskin Robbin. My husband had 2.5 hours walk yesterday so of course this is the reward for that walk.

Seriously I would be very concerned. Turkeys are big and would really mess up anything at speed. Don't get me started on big critters, they kill.

There was an F-16 crash a couple of hour's drive from here this morning and I saw one line on the TV in the gym that said it was a turkey vulture hitting the engine that caused it. Pilot ejected, he's okay. I don't know how some reporter verified that within hours of the crash.

Here's another from last year, the pilot did not make it out okay. Turkey Vulture blamed for F-16 crash

Did some contract work, then culled and processed the 8 excess roosters from the first batch of quail. They dressed out at 4.5 ounces a piece on average. This might not sound like a lot, but the nearby Whole Paycheck gets almost 20 bucks a pound for the same thing.

Back to work, then making channa masala for dinner.

Took the young wife in for knee surgery (torn meniscus, condyles full of stalactites, and a couple of loose bodies). We hope this will relieve the pain she has been experiencing. I'm currently serving as her gopher boy while she recovers in her recliner with the leg encased in the freezing and squeezing machine. Her first request when we got home was two cups of coffee, a large serving of scrambled eggs and toast with jam. Thank goodness I know how to do that. So far, so good. We'll see how she fares when the anesthesia wears off and she has to start taking the hydrocodone.

More yard work, routine doctor visit. New patient with this one and I really like him. DW goes to him. Good to see my insurance card worked under COBRA as it should.

I've heard this many times on this forum, but I found out an ex-coworker who was 10 years younger than me died suddenly over the weekend from a brain aneurism. I'm feeling that feeling others speak of that we're all on limited time and none of us knows when that's going to be over. Once again I'm glad I was able to claim my remaining time for myself and not as a slave to The Man.

Doing laundry today. Yes, even retirees have to do laundry now and then...
Yep.

Even if you turn your clothes inside out to wear a 2nd time (as suggested by someone else in another thread), you still have to wash them at some point.

...Back to work, then making channa masala for dinner.
This is the 2nd time you posted a dish that I had to look up on the Web, as I had no idea what it was.

Last edited:
As for me, I finished the veggie bed shade trellises, and repaired all the sprinkler heads that I trampled on and broke in the process of installing the trellises. I turned the soil in another section, and transplanted the tomato plants.

Tomorrow, we will head up to our high-country hideout. Cannot stay too long, as my wife is now the watcher of MIL, who is not invalid but too weak to be trusted to be alone. We had a relief caregiver, but only for a few days.

The other siblings will have to step up to help, when we are on our pre-planned long trip that is coming up in a month. Will see how that works out.

Last edited:
There was an F-16 crash a couple of hour's drive from here this morning and I saw one line on the TV in the gym that said it was a turkey vulture hitting the engine that caused it. Pilot ejected, he's okay. I don't know how some reporter verified that within hours of the crash.

Here's another from last year, the pilot did not make it out okay. Turkey Vulture blamed for F-16 crash

Wow that's a really bad day at work. I had heard of the crash today but not the cause.

This is the 2nd time you posted a dish that I had to look up on the Web, as I had no idea what it was.

Heh, what was the other one?

DD1 is vegetarian and there are a whole host of things that various members of the family will not eat, so a fair number of dinners are vegetarian or have meat only on the side (pasta with sausage, for example). Indian cuisine has a lot of vegetarian dishes to offer.

Yep.

Even if you turn your clothes inside out to wear a 2nd time (as suggested by someone else in another thread), you still have to wash them at some point.

I do quite the opposite. Now that I am retired, I have taken to changing my clothes several times each day. Since there is only one of me, I think "why not?" Even with my oversized washer/dryer set, I still have to do laundry several times each week.

Now that I am retired, I have taken to changing my clothes several times each day. Since there is only one of me, I think "why not?" Even with my oversized washer/dryer set, I still have to do laundry several times each week.

DW also does that and it drives me nuts. It seems the dang washer & dryer are always going. Not to mention the water & sewer bills.

Ah, the things we do for love.

Heh, what was the other one?

DD1 is vegetarian and there are a whole host of things that various members of the family will not eat, so a fair number of dinners are vegetarian or have meat only on the side (pasta with sausage, for example). Indian cuisine has a lot of vegetarian dishes to offer.
It's pupusa, mentioned here: http://www.early-retirement.org/for...o-today-2017-version-84766-6.html#post1840738

I do quite the opposite. Now that I am retired, I have taken to changing my clothes several times each day. Since there is only one of me, I think "why not?" Even with my oversized washer/dryer set, I still have to do laundry several times each week.
Just joking. Don't know if anyone does the clothes reversing in real life. :LOL:

DW also does that and it drives me nuts. It seems the dang washer & dryer are always going. Not to mention the water & sewer bills.

Water is nearly free here because we are surrounded by it. I never pay more than the minimum water bill, which is about $2.xx/month. My washer/dryer are in the laundry room so I don't hear them until I get that cute little LG "song" at the end of the cycle.

I love the fresh scent and feel of clean clothes, especially in the summertime.
Just joking. Don't know if anyone does the clothes reversing in real life. :LOL:
I hope not! It doesn't sound very appealing to me.

I phoned and booked an appointment with a dermatologist for my hubby. This appointment is to check for skin cancer. He has never beefed checked and was worried when I mentioned somebody died from skin cancer.

After that we went for a swim, 15 laps for each. I got to use the jacuzzi for my bad back. I've not had to visit my massage therapist thanks to this jacuzzi. And best yet, we got to a free shower On top. What's not to like.

In between naps and exercise, I've been reasearching for my upcoming trip to the French Polynesia islands. I'm thinking of doing 3-4 islands and skip New Zealand. My husband isn't too keen about a hiking trip after a beach trip, plus we've been to NZ before, on our honeymoon. He prefers to hike or walk in UK. Which is the trip following the beach trip.

I've been learning a lot while doing my reasearch. I think that's the fun of traveling.

Found two filet mignon steaks in the market half price bin:). DW was going to cook them on steel skewers, but the skewers were too long. A little work with a cutting wheel on my Dremel got them to size and I repointed them with my bench grinder.
DW chuckled- "a man and his tools-it's a wonderful thing"

It was 10 degrees this morning. It has been snowing the last couple of days. There was 6 to 8 inches on the road with a lot that had melted this morning. I plowed this morning. It will all be melted in a couple of days, but plowing keeps the roads from getting too muddy and rutted.

I was having problems with an ingrown toenail and could not get it to stop bothering me, so I went to the urgent care place. The nurse practitioner numbed it up and trimmed the toenail back including what he called the plate. He said I shouldn't have any problems with it again. I have been dealing with ingrown toenails since I was about 12. If I had known that it could be corrected so easily, I would have had it done years ago. I'll see how the recovery goes and if all is good I'll have the other one done the next time it gives me problems.

DW has instructed me that if it hasn't been worn an entire day it gets worn again before washing. She's tired of laundry despite the cute LG song.

This really happened this last weekend, but realization is setting in

Well, after all the medical crap that DW has been going through for the last 6 months (me being unscathed during that period), I believe I royally screwed up my right knee. At first I thought this was a bad dream, but it wasn't. How I managed to get in this condition is not for discussion. :(

My ROMEO group thinks I tore a meniscus. None of them being doctors, I am suspicious of the group consensus. But, never the less, I am having quite a bit of pain, but can walk with no issues. :)

Seeing I really don't care for doctors as I always think their motive is to wield the knife, I am holding out and hoping whatever I did will magically heal itself, and I can continue my daily routine pain free.

I especially hope this will be the way it goes, since Gumby's recent description of his Young Wife's knee work is not appealing to me. Please pray for my speedy, and scar-free return to normal.:bow:

(updates will follow)

Last edited:
Oh no, Aja8888! Try to rest with it elevated, and ice it too. I hope it improves soon. Between that, and all your recent dental work, and your DW's health problems, this has not been a good spring for you.

Gumby, I did not see your post about your DW's knee surgery until now. I hope her recovery goes smoothly. Those freeze'n'squeeze machines are supposed to be great.

Last edited:
Oh no, Aja8888! Try to rest with it elevated, and ice it too. I hope it improves soon. Between that, and all your recent dental work, and your DW's health problems, this has not been a good spring for you.

Gumby, I did not see your post about your DW's knee surgery until now. I hope her recovery goes smoothly. Those freeze'n'squeeze machines are supposed to be great.

Two +1's to the above!

Aja8888, I pinched something in my knee a couple of years ago and was in major pain. The orthopedic doc told me to take an Aleve every day. I have done that and it is good unless I am up and down ladders all day. Then it flares up.

I just finished putting the summer tires on my car, and am heading out in a bit to meet a few friends for wings and a couple wobbly pops and to watch the first round of the Masters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom