What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the gym and made a minor grocery run. The weather is perfect! 82° F and I almost wished I had worn a short sleeve shirt, but they keep the gym too cold for my taste.

Went for a walk, brought my bike in for a tuneup, picked up our tax returns, bought a 22 rifle for varmint control, stopped by the Apple Store to check on my computer issues, went to lunch and visited MIL

this is at least my 3rd post about this today, i went to the tax preparer, found out i owe 19 thousand, mailed out 4 checks to the tax man ,current owed and 2 estimated, ate a turkey sandwich and now im in the air condition

Rained here all day. I worked on the 1971 VW Beetle a bit: rebuilt the carburetor, tore down the front seats to reupholster them with near original "horsehair" pads (made from coconut hair), rebuilt the wiper motor and linkage, installed a new headlight switch and did some repair rewiring.

This project is going to take a good while, but time is on my side. Finding good quality replacement parts is the challenge. Since VW stopped making Beetles in Mexico and Brazil, the OEM parts funnel has dried up. Good used parts are generally more expensive than the Chinese knock-offs (and for good reason).

Filed taxes, spent some time with DW running errands (treat bees for mites, buy some curtido at the Mexican grocery, shop for Easter goodies for the kids), ground masa, took DD2 to yoga class (and snoozed in the wating area over an ACH compliance manual), now making pupusas for dinner.

Went out to our cabin, and spent the day enjoying the sunshine on the new bench I built. DW wants me to build a second one, and a neighbor wants me to build a raised bed garden. Oh well, I enjoy working with wood, and it is fresh air and sunshine. . .

Watched the painters finish up the interior of our house. I'd already painted all the bathrooms, the utility room and two bedrooms. Came to my senses and hired someone to do the hallways, entry, formal dining, kitchen, breakfast room, den and master bedroom.

DW is a happy woman.

This morning I spent a couple of hours cutting in the edges on the landscape beds. Then lunch, reading, a quick nap (not on purpose) followed by a nice walk.

Hanging out in the hospital. Had the damaged part of my esophagus removed a week ago (last Tuesday). Reconstruction surgery to make a new connection to my intestine with the stomache and remaining esophagus appears to have gone as planned. Have had a few normal or not unexpected side effects like a feeding tube that didn't stay in place and a collapsed lung so hoping today will be the first routine day. Hoping to go home tomorrow, some have asked so wanted post a short follow up.

Flew and Angel Flight, takin a leukemia patient and his daughter home after his treatment. My copilot was recovering from neck surgery and this was his first flight since the surgery, He was excited to get back in the saddle:)

Glad to hear you are on the mend, davemartin.

Today was annual pond cleaning day. I hire a crew to do it, but always assist/supervise while they are working. So I used the time to relocate the bird feeder, prune back the umbrella plant, fertilize the water lilies, and pull weeds. Two related discoveries - the reason that the waterfall had been sluggish for the past several weeks was a large dead frog blocking most of the pump inlet, and in addition to our dozen goldfish, we are now the proud parents of half a dozen healthy tadpoles!

Have dinner (bean and sausage stew) in the crockpot. After lunch I'll spend some time learning the toughest parts of Bach's B Minor Mass - singing it in a concert a week from Sunday. Hardest choral work I've ever done, but it should be a great performance (60 singers, professional orchestra and soloists).

I also wish Dave a quick recovery.

Today, I got up with less stiff as usual, even after 6 hours of oil painting. I think I learned that this Tuesday class is less crowded that the Thursday class, so I had the whole still life setting in front of me, I didn't need to crouch to paint. That's maybe why I my right shoulder usually hurts after my painting class.

After breakfast, I went outside and cleaned up one vegetable bed, all the freesia flowers are now removed. I put more top soil and prepping the bed for growing melons. My husband is busy doing the trellis for the melons. The paint job will be mine later in the day.

After cleaning up, the bed looks really good. I have edible landscaping, but the planting area has to look good, otherwise I will remove them. So lots of beautiful flowers are interspersing between vegetable plants. I have lots of campanula flowers and delphinium plants. Some of the campanula plants I grew from seeds. Same with corn flowers. Lots of blue colors.

I also found a baby praying mantis while cleaning the bed. I was wondering what happen to them because I saw them every spring, but not this spring. I've been wondering if my little geiko has been snacking on the praying mantis. Now I know they are still here in my garden.

Last edited:
First golf game of the season tomorrow, so I pulled the clubs out of storage in the garage, cleaned them, and made sure all the required items were in the golf bag.

Also changed the winter tires to summer on both of my parent's vehicles...unfortunately, I got a little overzealous trying to loosen a stuck lug nut and snapped the bolt off. That's the first time I've done that in 35 years of changing tires.

Got band practice tonight.

Checked that DS's Roth contribution had been processed by Vanguard and then checked his tax return and filed it for him... by moving some funds from his taxable account to a tIRA to get his income down and then moving funds from taxable to a Roth he maximized the Saver's Tax Credit so he owed $0 and got a refund for all of 2016's federal withholding. Gotta love free money. But the taxable account is now gone so it'll be more of a challenge next year.

Then went for a ~3 mile walk with a couple friends. Got back in time for a HVAC maintenance appointment... while our HVAC is ~11 years old it is still in pretty good shape and runs well.

Then a short shopping trip to BJ's and Home Depot... wouldntyaknowit... I forget the very thing that was at the top of DW's list. :facepalm:

Then a brief swim at the pool and now getting ready to go to our last weekly social for the season.

aja, It's only been a week. Take the Aleve and stay off it (don't "try" to stay off it) as much as possible. I know you are active but you've got to give it a rest. Don't worry about "things" getting done because they will still be there at a later date. Speedy recovery!:flowers:

Dave Martin, we are wishing you a speedy and full recovery!

Yes, ma'm, I will comply. Thanks you for the thoughts.:) The last few days I have been a good boy and did just as splitdw has recommended. And, the knee is responding and not hurting as much. But, I need more time, and that will be done. I am still using a heavy and tight brace, and taking Aleve. I can't get in to see a knee doc for another two weeks anyway. Maybe I won't need to go under the knife?

Was your audition with the new band successful?

It doesn't look like it...no one got back to me. At the audition 2 of the 4 members were sold on me but they had other auditions, so they may have found someone that was better player or a better fit.

Or, the one thing that always goes against me is that I'm in 3 other bands...which I always tell them at the audition (if I tell in advance I don't get auditions :) ), and the potential for conflict regarding gigs or rehearsal has to be considered.

Split a batch of Vienna lager with my brother in law and made some spent grain bread. Now at a riding lesson for dd2. The dryer parts arrived this afternoon, so instead of shooting trap tomorrow I will be doing battle with a busted appliance.

It doesn't look like it...no one got back to me. At the audition 2 of the 4 members were sold on me but they had other auditions, so they may have found someone that was better player or a better fit.

Or, the one thing that always goes against me is that I'm in 3 other bands...which I always tell them at the audition (if I tell in advance I don't get auditions :) ), and the potential for conflict regarding gigs or rehearsal has to be considered.

Too bad! I did wonder about the scheduling conflicts. You almost have a "job" going on!

Hanging out in the hospital. Had the damaged part of my esophagus removed a week ago (last Tuesday). Reconstruction surgery to make a new connection to my intestine with the stomache and remaining esophagus appears to have gone as planned. Have had a few normal or not unexpected side effects like a feeding tube that didn't stay in place and a collapsed lung so hoping today will be the first routine day. Hoping to go home tomorrow, some have asked so wanted post a short follow up.

Good that progress is being made--thank you for keeping us updated, and hang in there :flowers::flowers:

Spent yet another day with DW and D-SIL sorting through 'stuff' at my late DF's house. The man never threw anything away, in this case to our delight (now that the broken 1960's era pots and pans are gone). We found WWII ration stamps, a license to own a pistol from 1926 belonging to my GGFather, railroad employee passes for a variety of years spanning from 1902 to 1968-ish, a family bible from the mid-1800's, his high school yearbook from 1942, and many other goodies. Not sure if it's neat or embarrassing, but he had every single paystub he ever got from the railroad, from 1942 to 1986. Ditto every tax return since 1950. Kind of funny to see what a year's salary was in those days for a young man just starting out.

I think I'll see if the local historical society and the railroad historical society would be interested in some of this stuff.

20 mile bike ride along the river this afternoon, then kayak roll clinic this evening. I'm making a little progress with the rolling; I can do each part of the technique but have yet to pull it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom