What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canola was bred from rapeseed in the 1970s at the University of Manitoba. They are related, but not quite the same.

Yes, canola is a variant of rapeseed. I love that the name for the oil is a sort of acronym combining Canadian oil low acid, I believe.

Last edited:
Early morning kayaking on the lake, was smooth as a mirror, no wind. Mused about the only time I see perfect symmetry in nature is when I look at reflections in the smooth water.

Then home, sharpen mower blades, change oil. Soon off to the mancave to ignore the world.

20170710_140346.jpg
All cables/wires have been removed (ahead of thunderstorm) so house can be brought in.
And for some reason, internet is still working

One of those days that makes me wonder how I ever had time to w*rk! Normal morning routine (dog walk, breakfast, water veggies, shower, computer time) then headed out for errands. Bought a baby shower guest book for our church organist's shower in a few weeks, picked up 2 skeins of yarn so I can finish two prayer shawls that I didn't buy enough yarn for, had blood drawn for a doctor's appointment later this week, and bought some clothes I need for an upcoming trip back east. Then yoga class, lunch, worked on some investments, and then tackled the amended MD tax return I needed to file because the tax software our preparer used didn't complete the forms the way they like (left too many lines blank instead of putting in zeroes). I decided it was easier to do it myself than get them to fix the software and will just do it myself in the future (it's a non-resident return with no tax owed). In the middle of all that, I prepped a chicken for cooking beer-can style on the grill (I like to put the rub on a couple of hours early to let the flavor soak in a bit).

Will get dinner started shortly and plan to spend the evening knitting and watching American Ninja Warrior.

One of those days that makes me wonder how I ever had time to w*rk! Normal morning routine (dog walk, breakfast, water veggies, shower, computer time) then headed out for errands. Bought a baby shower guest book for our church organist's shower in a few weeks, picked up 2 skeins of yarn so I can finish two prayer shawls that I didn't buy enough yarn for, had blood drawn for a doctor's appointment later this week, and bought some clothes I need for an upcoming trip back east. Then yoga class, lunch, worked on some investments, and then tackled the amended MD tax return I needed to file because the tax software our preparer used didn't complete the forms the way they like (left too many lines blank instead of putting in zeroes). I decided it was easier to do it myself than get them to fix the software and will just do it myself in the future (it's a non-resident return with no tax owed). In the middle of all that, I prepped a chicken for cooking beer-can style on the grill (I like to put the rub on a couple of hours early to let the flavor soak in a bit).

Will get dinner started shortly and plan to spend the evening knitting and watching American Ninja Warrior.

Reading this reminds me - I need a nap.

F and I had soup for lunch together, which was peaceful and nice.

Then we went on a pleasure drive. He drove, and we chatted away and solved all of the problems of mankind.

He went home to get a nap before heading out to assist a band in their performance down in the French Quarter late tonight.

Meanwhile, it is dark as night right now at 4:45 PM, thundering and raining hard. I really enjoyed today. Another serene Saturday here in South Louisiana.

Meanwhile, it is dark as night right now at 4:45 PM, thundering and raining hard. I really enjoyed today. Another serene Saturday here in South Louisiana.

You might want to take a look at your calendar... :D

Well, she's been retired for what, eight years now, and you expect anyone who has done that to know what day of the week it is? And besides, when you're retired "every day is Saturday".:D

Well, she's been retired for what, eight years now, and you expect anyone who has done that to know what day of the week it is? And besides, when you're retired "every day is Saturday".:D

There, that's my excuse!!! :ROFLMAO: It's just another serene Saturday in retirement, even though technically I suppose it's Monday.

DW had a TEE test done at the local hospital this morning to get better images of her newly found leaking Mitral valve in her heart.

An echocardiogram (echo) uses ultrasound to create pictures of your heart's movement. A transesophageal echo (TEE) test is a type of echo that uses a long, thin, tube (endoscope) to guide the ultrasound transducer down the esophagus (“food pipe” that goes from the mouth to the stomach).

So we saw the images and she will be undergoing a Mitral Valve Clip procedure to shut off the leak. Nice stuff and can be done without ripping apart her chest, which is not recommended due to her other ailments.

It's going to be a long, hot summer.

My meniscus repair of the right knee is 3 weeks old now and all is good. I think I need to buy some good knee pads in case I decide to get stupid again.

Today I plan to stay clean and dry all day. It will be a bit of a treat-- between river guiding and my own adventures, I've spent most of the day wet and/or muddy for the last seven days. It's fun but I was starting to feel a bit feral.

Finally have the new washer and dryer up and running. Plumber was here yesterday for 6 hours getting the drain pipe up to date. He ripped out the wall and showed us the old piping--it was in the shape of a "W" run between studs--how in the heck did that happen? :confused: Our old washer has always had a drain problem and the new HE high-powered one just blew the water back at us!
He installed new piping and moved the hot/cold pipes--all updated. Now waiting for the bill to come in the mail.....:nonono:

Sump pump just died.......wouldn't have noticed but it had thrown the breaker, which is connected to the doorbell, and our neighbor said "Your bell's not working".

We've been intending to replace the bathroom sink/faucets, so we have a call in to the guy who's done work for us previously...may as well get both done.

Took my brother to the SSA office yesterday to help him sign up. It was crowded, and we were there for about 3 1/2 hours. Then we went out to lunch for hot dogs.

Today I bought my first three ounces of Gold. I plan to do it again weekly throughout the summer up to about 35 ounces...the fallback plan for my fallback plan.

(Edit: I just realized that today is also my three-year retirement anniversary - 7-11-14 was the day!) :clap:

Last edited:
My husband and I finished our fourth trellis. This is the last trellis to be made. After that it took two of us to anchor this trellis in the garden. It's a huge trellis.

While he was putting together the trellis, I made chicken soup from leftovers chicken and vegs, kale salad with black beans. I plan to eat healthy so I can shed some pounds. Tonight it will be fish for dinner. I will be so healthy after this. I can't wait to get rid of these mirrors I have that makes me look taller and thinner than I actually am.

Finally have the new washer and dryer up and running. Plumber was here yesterday for 6 hours getting the drain pipe up to date. He ripped out the wall and showed us the old piping--it was in the shape of a "W" run between studs--how in the heck did that happen? :confused: ...
Well, for a drain you absolutely want (and code will require) a "U" in the pipe. This forms a water trap which will keep sewer gas odors from entering the house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_(plumbing)

A "W" would be two "U"'s - maybe the original plumber was being extra careful. Or forgetful?

-ERD50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom