What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with RunningBum, you might have a case with a different example but not this one...

I bet there were problems with people backing up at the light and they designed a special turn lane to take care of that... and they made it LONG... to try and prevent late lane changes they put in a solid white line... makes perfect sense to me...

Also, I bet there are many people who think they can get a jump by going down the turn lane and jumping into the thru lane at the end... even with the white line..

And I bet/hope the people in the right lane say FU to the ones trying to get over late. Sorry, you are not special.

In some areas, I have seen pylons set up so the aggressors can't move past the solid line.

On a side note, travelling back from Florida I saw a sign (I think in Georgia) that said something like " if you missed your exit, don't worry, we made more ahead".

Solid White Line;
All rules of the road are merely suggestions from what I've seen. Especially speed limits. At best, folks pick and choose which rules are valid and therefore adhered to and which are ignored. Right turn on a red, for example, is another suggestion. Stopping while a pedestrian is in a crosswalk another. Most will go through once the pedestrian is out of their way, but the rule is to wait until they are completely clear of the cross walk so other drivers can see there there may be someone they can't see is crossing. Jaywalking, another suggestion. Seat belts. Every rule, a suggestion only.

Some states only require you to stop when pedestrians are in your half of the crosswalk.
https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/...-CROSSWALKS-50-STATE-CHART-00214802x9EBBF.pdf

When people refer to a couple as being pregnant as opposed to the woman being pregnant... "Did you hear that Mark and Suzie are pregnant?" Or Suzie will say "We are pregnant." A couple cannot be pregnant, only a woman can be pregnant.

It is a team effort to have and raise a child... if you insist differently you're just a curmudgeon stuck in the past.

It is a team effort to have and raise a child... if you insist differently you're just a curmudgeon stuck in the past.
Well it would have been a pet peeve for me if you had referred to "US" as being pregnant when I was nauseous and miserable. My husband had to live with me, but it was ME puking and not sleeping and suffering all the inconveniences of pregnancy.

The wrath of a miserable pregnant woman should not be underestimated [emoji23].

Last edited:
And I bet/hope the people in the right lane say FU to the ones trying to get over late. Sorry, you are not special.

In some areas, I have seen pylons set up so the aggressors can't move past the solid line.

On a side note, travelling back from Florida I saw a sign (I think in Georgia) that said something like " if you missed your exit, don't worry, we made more ahead".

Can we start with the entrance is about 2 cars lengths long, and the white line is 34 car lengths. I have never seen 5 cars in the right lane, ever.
It's jut not that busy.

I might try a 5:00pm run, but even that is when people will be going another 1/2 mile and taking a major road going North.
It's fine we can agree to disagree.

Can we start with the entrance is about 2 cars lengths long, and the white line is 34 car lengths. I have never seen 5 cars in the right lane, ever.
It's jut not that busy.

I might try a 5:00pm run, but even that is when people will be going another 1/2 mile and taking a major road going North.
It's fine we can agree to disagree.

I would agree that a longer stretch allowing entry would make more sense. I don't know your specific traffic situation, but I am tired of folks swerving across that white line after I have spent 2 or 3 cycles waiting for the light.

I am not insisting differently, I am insisiting that a couple or a man cannot be pregnant.

I am not insisting differently, I am insisiting that a couple or a man cannot be pregnant.

Yes....a couple can be 'expecting a child', but only the female is undergoing gestation. It's not simply semantics.

Yes....a couple can be 'expecting a child', but only the female is undergoing gestation. It's not simply semantics.

I agree. Mary and Bob might be having a baby, but only Mary is pregnant.

My peeve when our girls were young was when DH would offer to “babysit” while I ran some errands. I forcefully informed him that one does not babysit one’s own children.

If he was going to look after the neighbor’s kid, he was babysitting. Looking after his own offspring is called parenting, and he doesn’t get extra credit for taking the lead for a few hours when I’m away.

Does watching a grandchild count as babysitting?
Does watching a dog count as babysitting? I have been told yes, but there is not much cleanup or chasing required in our case.
:D

I agree, but unfortunately the meanings of words change with use. Expect MW to change the definition of "pregnant" at some point.

The fact that all 3 mainstream TV networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) always have the ...SAME... stories on the evening news. Even the do-gooder feel-good segment in the last 3 minutes.

The fact that all 3 mainstream TV networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) always have the ...SAME... stories on the evening news. Even the do-gooder feel-good segment in the last 3 minutes.

I haven't watched television news since 1977*. I much prefer to 'pull' my information from sources I choose, rather than having the networks 'push' what is essentially entertainment masquerading as news. Turn off your TV; you'll feel better.

ETA: *Indeed, I have watched almost no television at all since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom