What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

It is rare to go more than 30 seconds without somebody screaming the F word. Just a warning to those who think such language is over used by the entertainment industry.

I do think the premise of the show is a good one. But, when I have to close my windows in hot weather so the neighborhoods kids playing outside will not hear a steady stream of shouting, cursing and obscenities coming from my home, I had to stop watching.

I feel the same way. I am an avid movie goer, but I cannot understand such a need for foul language sprinkled throughout as if that’s the “ norm”. It’s a big turnoff for me. The use of “GD” offends me by far the most. Totally unnecessary.

Have started “The 7 Lives of Lea” on Netflix. A modern day teen girl finds the skeleton of a boy who died in the 1990s and then unintentionally body swaps/time travels into various people from that time to try to figure out what happened. It’s a French show, only 7 episodes, a sort of mystery/comedy/sci-if set in a very beautiful part of France (Sisteron). Very entertaining so far.

Our college granddaughter is staying with us for 10 days and we’ve been alternating viewing with her. We chose North by Northwest for movie night, which she liked. She chose Inception, which we pretended to like, but in reality couldn’t understand the high ratings. Then she’s been getting me to watch WandaVision, which is fun, but I wouldn’t watch it for myself. She then watched some of The Knick episodes with us. It’s been fun for both sides.

Finished "Black Bird" last night. Larry just creeps me out!

Watching "The Umbrella Academy" started season 3 yesterday, little fantasy/SyFi and quite entertaining. Certainly entertaining enough to keep DW off her tablet looking at mindless YouTube Videos, and that is an achievement. Netflix I think, maybe others too.

The Last Movie Stars on HBO Max. The lives, from the beginning of Paul Newman and JoAnne Woodward. This documentary was put together from thousands of pages of interviews, letters, etc with authentic footage over the years covering the lives and careers of PN and JW, their rise to stardom, and how they kept their marriage together. Fascinating.

Has anyone watched Paper Girls? It is really good, better than Stranger Things IMO, the actors are so much better.

Started "The Old Man", was going to delete the whole series from my media disk as it was very slow and somewhat depressing, but as it moved on and my wife read me the synopsis, it perked my interest. Will continue with it as it livened up pretty well. Seems very watchable.

We have been watching this as well on Hulu. Have one episode to go and I understand it will be renewed for another season. Found it interesting, plus we like Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow.

Has anyone watched Paper Girls? It is really good, better than Stranger Things IMO, the actors are so much better.

Thanks! I'll start that tonight. Finished Black Bird. I tried to research Jimmy Keene online, very little info about him other than he went to high school in Kankakee, IL. Maybe b/c he works for the FBI now.

I thought Stranger Things was excellent. Curious what makes this better?

Give it a couple of episodes. It has some of the Stranger Things vibe but the girls (12 year old paper girls) are excellent actors and really get you into the story.

Amazon Prime:

The Tunnel.

Binged the first season (of three) over the last two nights. Enjoyed it very much - characters and plotlines are complex. (Warning: has some quite dark /violent moments. The "bad guy" is really, really bad.)

This is the dual French/English production, based on the original Danish/Swedish series The Bridge.

Thanks for the recommendation. We watched the first 4 episodes of The Tunnel. Very good.

Thanks for the recommendation. We watched the first 4 episodes of The Tunnel. Very good.

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

I finished watching the second season, which was excellent, and the third season is in my queue.

Last edited:
Acorn TV:

Hidden

The series is also available for purchase on Amazon Prime for those who don't have Acorn.

This is a Welsh detective series with three seasons; I am halfway through the first season and enjoying it.

It has that Scandi-noir atmosphere. It was done by the same team that produced Hinterland (another excellent bilingual Welsh series) a few years ago.

This is the bilingual version of the series (it was originally broadcast in the Welsh language). Fortunately there are subtitles when the characters break into Welsh!

Last edited:
Acorn TV:

Hidden

The series is also available for purchase on Amazon Prime for those who don't have Acorn.

This is a Welsh detective series with three seasons; I am halfway through the first season and enjoying it.

It has that Scandi-noir atmosphere. It was done by the same team that produced Hinterland (another excellent bilingual Welsh series) a few years ago.

This is the bilingual version of the series (it was originally broadcast in the Welsh language). Fortunately there are subtitles when the characters break into Welsh!

Galar da. Byddai Cymraeg yn fy nrysu'n llwyr!!!

One thing I like about The Indian Doctor is that it takes place in Wales. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it.

Galar da. Byddai Cymraeg yn fy nrysu'n llwyr!!!

One thing I like about The Indian Doctor is that it takes place in Wales. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it.

Thank goodness for google translate! That made me laugh. :D

That show is somewhere in my very long queue of shows "to be watched." Thanks for the reminder. I have been a fan of Sanjeev Baskar ever since Unforgotten.

I see Mali Harries is also in it; I have been a fan of her work since seeing her in Hinterland.

I'll have to bump the show up in the queue. :)

Last edited:
Watched a few episodes of "Keep Breathing" on Netflix. If your idea of a wilderness adventure is pulling your RV to the side of the highway and dashing into the underbrush to relieve yourself after the toilet plugs up, then this series is for you. For folks with actual backpacking / backcountry / wilderness experience, noting the implausibilities, errors, and omissions in this series is kind of fun. :popcorn:

I lost interest in the 2nd episode of Paper Girls. Loved Stranger Things.

I thought the first two seasons of Stranger Things were good but the acting was horrible for several chars in season 3.

Just watched first episode of Slow Horses on Apple TV +.

So good.

No wonder they already renewed to 4 seasons even though only season 1 has been released so far.

I very much enjoyed Stranger Things (though I did think the later seasons didn't really live up the promise of the outstanding season 1).

In contrast I thought 'Paper Girls' was only OK - lots of plot holes (perhaps inevitable with a time travel story), but more importantly just a bit too many endless conversations about pre-teen grrrl-power angst for my taste. I know that's unavoidable when the protagonists are four 12 year old girls, but it just got old after 4-5 episodes. I wasn't thrilled with the ending either.

Started "Stella Blomkvist " Icelandic with subs. Whoever suggested this, it is well worth watching if you like Murder Mysteries.

One thing I am noticing and finding interesting with a lot of Police Dramas is that there is a lot of Police corruption implied in one way or another.

Not much different from what we hear about in real life.

It isn't new, but we watched "Better Call Saul" last night and I have to say the creators are taking serial television in new directions.

Start with "Breaking Bad" and move to the start of "Better Call Saul." It is very creative and not lazy writing.
Best show/prequel. Outstanding

Back
Top Bottom