What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

On Prime we have both enjoyed Three Pines, based on the novels by Louise Penny about Chief Inspector Gamache set in Canada. Also thank you to whomever suggested The Brokenwood Mysteries. They are set in New Zealand and have been fun to watch.

Started watching "The Chosen", it's available on Prime and also on BYUTV with a free account. Enjoyable series about the Apostles and how they became followers.
And if you're not interested just move along.
I keep meaning to watch this after seeing a glowing review in the NY Times about it. IMDb gives it a 9.3 rating which is incredible. Sure, there's likely viewer bias in that number, but still, 9.3?! Consider that Breaking Bad is often cited as the best TV series ever and it got a 9.4 IMDb rating.

After temporarily running out of stuff to watch on Netflix (I only watch about 1.5 hours per day max), I subscribed to HBO Max in order to watch a few shows. I’ll cancel the subscription after I’m done - I’m too cheap to subscribe to more than one streaming service. :D

I’ve only watched 2 or 3 episodes of the first season of each of these shows:

The White Lotus: I liked the first two episodes. I didn’t like the third. If the show keeps going downhill I’ll stop watching. After the first episode I had to laugh: each of the four stages of human sexuality is represented: budding, full bloom, declining, and gone. I’m skeptical whether the show has anything new to say about sexuality or wealth, but I’ll keep an open mind. As a kid, my family used to vacation on Antigua. This was 50 years ago when Antigua was mostly undeveloped. This was quite an adventure for a kid from a flyover state. What’s it like to bring a kid to an exotic tropical resort today? The White Lotus provides one opinion.

House of the Dragon: I liked how Game of Thrones tried to accurately represent European medieval life with a clever supernatural overlay (no dragons in medieval Europe AFAIK :) ). The open question is whether HoD has anything new to say about medieval life.

Succession: only a couple of episodes in. HBO may have missed an opportunity to show how power really flows within a major modern corporation (board of directors, senior management, middle management, line management, workers, etc.) The show’s succession crisis seems a bit unrealistic for a large publicly-traded firm, however I recently heard that now-disgraced FTX used QuickBooks for accounting, which is hilarious if true. Quite a few years ago a relative married into a wealthy family where a nasty succession crisis played out among entitled brats (children and grandchildren of the founder). I didn’t have a front-row seat to that drama - too bad. :popcorn:

Last edited:
On Prime we have both enjoyed Three Pines, based on the novels by Louise Penny about Chief Inspector Gamache set in Canada. Also thank you to whomever suggested The Brokenwood Mysteries. They are set in New Zealand and have been fun to watch.
Have read the first 4 books in the Three Pines series. Waiting for all the shows to air before watching them. Looking forward to them. Enjoyed the books immensely.

"You Don't Know Me" - a BBC production on Netflix. It's a pretty good 4 episode crime drama.

I had low expectations for Wednesday, but that show surprised me - wittier and more self-aware than I expected.

I had low expectations for Wednesday, but that show surprised me - wittier and more self-aware than I expected.

Agreed. The repartee between Wednesday and her various tormentors is pretty good. Also, Thing adds some spice to the conversations even though He/She/It never actually says anything.

Now that I have Paramount Plus for free, I have been watching ST:picard. Ugh! They really botched it, IMO. Between the sanctimonious sermonizing and the utter incompetence of supposedly talented individuals, the show is just getting silly. Seven has been reduced to a crying, helpless blonde who has to be rescued. The new characters are just not believable. What a shame. I am glad I am watching it for free (in the foolish hope it will improve). I would hate to have paid real money for Season 2.

Last edited:
Now that I have Paramount Plus for free, I have been watching ST:picard. Ugh! They really botched it, IMO. Between the sanctimonious sermonizing and the utter incompetence of supposedly talented individuals, the show is just getting silly. Seven has been reduced to a crying, helpless blonde who has to be rescued. The new characters are just not believable. What a shame. I am glad I am watching it for free (in the foolish hope it will improve). I would hate to have paid real money for Season 2.

I feel your pain. You didn't mention the plot holes and inconsistencies, which are massive. They consist mostly of warnings about "don't mess with the timeline," whereupon every character on the show tries to one-up the others in violating this directive.

Re: Picard

Oh, but the producers promise stupendous changes and improvements for Season 3. They said the same about 2.

Started "1899" Very weird ...... but compelling at the same time. First 3 episodes were very slow, but then it started to get interesting. Difficult to just trash, so we will watch the complete season.

Just finished it. Agree with your analysis. (Being careful here to avoid spoilers...) The end was at first a let down. I think that based on the creators' past excellent work, they will surprise us and that ending will perhaps even be sarcastic.

So I'm looking forward to the next 2 planned seasons should Netflix order them.

Started "The Sinner" it has 4 seasons each season is a crime story in its own right. Very good for a USA crime drama and worth the watch. We are halfway through season 2.

Started "The Sinner" it has 4 seasons each season is a crime story in its own right. Very good for a USA crime drama and worth the watch. We are halfway through season 2.

Ever since I saw Bill Pullman in "Zero Effect" in 1998, I've followed his career. Great movie, captivating and intelligent. The Sinner has him as a deep thinker, methodical, and a bit slow. Great actor IMO.

Ever since I saw Bill Pullman in "Zero Effect" in 1998, I've followed his career. Great movie, captivating and intelligent. The Sinner has him as a deep thinker, methodical, and a bit slow. Great actor IMO.

We normally give the US crime dramas a miss as they can be slow and not so detailed. We prefer the UK ones. But this one seems to be an exception. It is quite compelling.

Started watching Bad Sisters on AppleTV+. Episode 1 intrigued us, episode 2 has us hooked. It follows a family of Irish sisters, one of whom is married to a real pr**k (also the title of ep 1). He’s dead in the first episode and they all have reasons they aren’t sad about it. Pretty funny comedy with an unfolding mystery storyline.

Just finished it. Agree with your analysis. (Being careful here to avoid spoilers...) The end was at first a let down. I think that based on the creators' past excellent work, they will surprise us and that ending will perhaps even be sarcastic.

So I'm looking forward to the next 2 planned seasons should Netflix order them.

we didn't make it thru the first 30-min of 1899. :yawn::yawn:

OK. I'll let you guys know how I feel after I finish the first season. Likely later today. It's cold and a bit snowy here, so I don't plan on venturing back outside and I need something to do!

Paunchy, I know you finished Severence and enjoyed the last episode.

I just saw this list published in todays Morning Brew, of the top 25 TV show episodes of 2022.
The finale of Severence made the list.

It’s an interesting list as not many “season Finales “were among the top episodes chosen (Although White Lotus, another show I watched, finale was too).

https://link.morningbrew.com/click/...NDc1MzhjMWE/5eaaa368fbd2976fc84173eeB6e71db67

Some new series that I might check out based on this list.

I've gotten into Extraordinary Attorney Woo, based on recs from this thread. It reminds me of Ally McBeal, which is another "whimsical life of an attorney complete with hallucinations" show from the 90's. For this new series, I enjoy the creative problem-solving of the court cases and the many interesting insights into Korean culture. The romantic subplot, however, doesn't seem at all believable and in fact, the show would still be just as good without it. I do recommend seeing this in the original language with subtitles. I had started the first episode with English dubbing, but once it got to some older characters speaking with young voices, it kind of lost credibility with me and I had to switch to the original Korean.

Last edited:
I just watched “If these walls could Sing” a 90 minute documentary by Mary McCartney about the 90 year history of Abbey Road studios, on Hulu.

What an interesting retrospective of how iconic this recording studio has been, not just because of the Beatles but so many other great musicians, producers and visionaries of the music business. Extensive interviews with Paul McCartney, Ringo, Roger Waters, Elton John (who was a session musician there “Reg Dwight” ) as well as George Martin’s son.

Would highly recommend this to any music lover.

+1 Slow Horses

We watched Slow Horses, an earlier season, and are watching season two. Also watched The Recruit and season one and some of season two of Jack Ryan. For me Slow Horses is the most plausible and engaging of the group, with The Recruit and Jack Ryan trailing. Jack is Mr. Deadeye with a pistol, easily dropping the odd automatic rifle wielding crew of killers at maybe 150'. Ahunh. The Recruit is all about who do you trust in the spy game while Slow Horses is about flawed people who have their own strengths. Good stuff.

We watched Slow Horses, an earlier season, and are watching season two. Also watched The Recruit and season one and some of season two of Jack Ryan. For me Slow Horses is the most plausible and engaging of the group, with The Recruit and Jack Ryan trailing. Jack is Mr. Deadeye with a pistol, easily dropping the odd automatic rifle wielding crew of killers at maybe 150'. Ahunh. The Recruit is all about who do you trust in the spy game while Slow Horses is about flawed people who have their own strengths. Good stuff.

Currently watching the latest season of Jack Ryan. I like it, but definitely agree it stretches credulity. Also, breaks from the book character in major ways. Apparently this Ryan loves to fly and even pilot versus the book character. And forget being just an analyst. This one is full on bad a**.

Will check out Slow Horses.

Back
Top Bottom