What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

We finished watching season 1 of The Morning Show on Apple TV. DW and I enjoyed it very much and found the acting to be very good.

Just watched Painkiller on Netflix, about Purdue Pharma and the creation/ramping up of the opioid tragedy. Although a bit fictionalized, the underlying facts and story is all to real.
Matthew Broderick as Dr. Richard Sackler is almost unrecognizable and portrays this driven character very well.
Although very unsettling it was a fast and compelling watch (only 6 episodes).

Just watched Painkiller on Netflix, about Purdue Pharma and the creation/ramping up of the opioid tragedy. Although a bit fictionalized, the underlying facts and story is all to real.
Matthew Broderick as Dr. Richard Sackler is almost unrecognizable and portrays this driven character very well.
Although very unsettling it was a fast and compelling watch (only 6 episodes).

I watched it too. I have mixed feelings about the whole issue. I don't like that Oxycodone gets lumped in with OxyContin and Fentanyl. Oxycodone when prescribed and taken properly is a very good and necessary pain reliever that should still be given to those who have severe acute or post op pain. I was in so much pain after my hip surgeries that Oxycodone was the only thing that did any good and without it I probably would have killed myself. I never took more than 10mg at a time and didn't take more than I needed or for longer than I needed and never had any side effect other than constipation and had no withdrawals or cravings after I stopped using it. It was nothing but good since I took it as directed rather than crushing it and snorting it. If you do that then you are to blame, not the Dr, manufacturer or pharmacist for any negative outcomes. Yes there was a problem with over-prescribing but there needs to be some personal responsibility for the user. If you are getting high from it then you are using it wrong. Don't punish the good people who need it and use it appropriately just because some people choose to not take it responsibly.

DW and I are watching Virgin River together on Netflix and I'm enjoying Borgen on Netflix.

Virgin River

Searching for a fresh start, a nurse practitioner moves from LA to a remote northern California town and is surprised by what — and who — she finds.

Starring:Alexandra Breckenridge, Martin Henderson, Tim Matheson

Borgen

A shocking turn of events puts Birgitte Nyborg in the Danish prime minister's seat as her country's first female leader in this landmark drama.

Starring:Sidse Babett Knudsen, Birgitte Hjort Sørensen, Pilou Asbæk

For a change of pace we also watched a few episodes of Away last night.

Away

Commander Emma Green leaves behind her husband and daughter to lead an international crew of astronauts on a perilous three-year mission to Mars.

Starring:Hilary Swank, Josh Charles, Vivian Wu

We are new to Netflix and I have been pleasantly surprised at the breadth of good content available.

Last edited:
Started "The Power of the Ring" yesterday. I find these Lord of the Rings shows, as I did the books very tedious and long winded. Not sure how long I can stand it. So far as far at Episode 3.

I watched it too. I have mixed feelings about the whole issue. I don't like that Oxycodone gets lumped in with OxyContin and Fentanyl. Oxycodone when prescribed and taken properly is a very good and necessary pain reliever that should still be given to those who have severe acute or post op pain.
<snip>
Don't punish the good people who need it and use it appropriately just because some people choose to not take it responsibly.

Actually, Oxycontin and Fentanyl are also extremely good and useful drugs, when used properly. So is heroin and cocaine, if you get right down to it. But just as at school, work, and everywhere else, it's easier to punish everyone equally than it is to drill down and deal with the problem.

I went through a series of surgeries recently, and can absolutely guarantee that Fentanyl is a good drug, when used properly. Haven't run into Oxycontin, but I suspect it wouldn't exist if it didn't have a legitimate reason to.

Back to the original topic, I've been watching Daisy Jones and the Six, and am enjoying it for the most part. I always enjoy the "came from nowhere, made it big, and fell apart" band shows. This is like a grittier That Thing You Do, with a little Janie Joplin thrown in. Good show, for me.

Started "The Power of the Ring" yesterday. I find these Lord of the Rings shows, as I did the books very tedious and long winded. Not sure how long I can stand it. So far as far at Episode 3.
I don't see many shows mentioned in this thread that sound interesting to me, but I thought about watching this. Have you thrown in the towel yet or sticking it through to the end?

no escape on netflix was very good. teenage bounty hunters not so good.

I also agree about the use of the drugs as prescribed. my wife had oxycontin after a major surgery, took as directed, no addiction. people have to take responsibility for their own actions when it comes to taking drugs.

I also agree about the use of the drugs as prescribed. my wife had oxycontin after a major surgery, took as directed, no addiction. people have to take responsibility for their own actions when it comes to taking drugs.

While I agree in principle, and I have had my own surgical history and need for pain medication in the past, if you watch the show (Painkiller, Netflix) you'll understand there is FAR more to this story than a simple issue of personal responsibility on the part of the patients/users.

I don't see many shows mentioned in this thread that sound interesting to me, but I thought about watching this. Have you thrown in the towel yet or sticking it through to the end?

We stuck it till the end. But No more "ring" shows for us.

On a better note. We started Domina Season 2. Typical Roman Roggering, Gorging, Quaffing, Sex, Violence, Scandal, Deceit, Colourful Language and all the other Vices you can think of. Just our type of show. :)

"God Forbid" Hulu. The true story about the downfall of Jerry Falwell Jr. Truth is stranger than fiction. No doubt.

The new season of Billions is out. They are dropping one week at a time, with 2 episodes out so far.

Was the show always this heavy with the dropping of cultural references? It's almost unbearable. Every character is doing it. If the point is to show how insufferable everyone is, they are exceeding beyond their wildest dreams. "Everyone" includes the writers and show runner and anyone else responsible for this.

Finally got around to watching Jack Ryan Seasons 3 & 4. Only watched one so far S3E01, it seems to be as good as the first 2 so far. Lots of action.

I’ve been watching “For All Mankind” on Apple TV. I find it disappointing in that it had the potential to be a lot better, but falls back onto the usual TV drama sub-plots and character issues. What else is new?

Last edited:
Started Rabbit Hole with Jack Bower, oops Keanu Reeves. Action flick with disjointed sequences but it eventually hangs together, 7 episodes.

Finally got around to watching Jack Ryan Seasons 3 & 4. Only watched one so far S3E01, it seems to be as good as the first 2 so far. Lots of action.

We both like the show but as we started season 3 the pictures were so dark we often couldn't tell who the characters were. Sometimes the screen was so dark we needed night vision goggles. :facepalm: I have been hearing other people make the same kind of complaints. We just gave up on it. Really too bad but we got tired of getting lost in the story line because we didn't know who was doing/saying what. I hope you have better luck.

Cheers!

We both like the show but as we started season 3 the pictures were so dark we often couldn't tell who the characters were. Sometimes the screen was so dark we needed night vision goggles. :facepalm: I have been hearing other people make the same kind of complaints. We just gave up on it. Really too bad but we got tired of getting lost in the story line because we didn't know who was doing/saying what. I hope you have better luck.

Cheers!

The version we have is fine. But it is not streamed. I store them on my hard drive as MKV files until we have the whole season then binge them. Maybe something is changed in the decoding to compensate for the darkness. Although I do remember some dark shows that we discarded for the same reason you did.

Last edited:
Started Rabbit Hole with Jack Bower, oops Keanu Reeves. Action flick with disjointed sequences but it eventually hangs together, 7 episodes.

Oops, Kiefer Sutherland. :)

I started this and lost momentum. I need to find time to restart.

My wife and I were big Jack Bower/24 fans, but found Rabbit hole mostly annoying/tedious

Last night I watched episode 1 of “The Ride” on Amazon Prime. It’s a “behind the scenes” show following the new Professional Bull Riders (PBR) team competitions, using the same format as Formula 1 Drive to Survive, a mix of reality show with documentary. As of now there is 1 season of 8 episodes.

Just watched “Woodstock, 3 days that defined a generation “ on Prime. Great nostalgia on the “anniversary “ dates of August 1969. It’s a well done documentary with lots of great newsreel and amateur video footage of the actual events told by the people who put the event together.
I learned a lot of things I never knew and relived some of the iconic music performances.

I think it may be “leaving” prime very soon.

I’d be very surprised if this wasn’t mentioned here before: “World On Fire” on PBS. It weaves engaging personal stories with multiple well developed characters having adventures all over the world during WWII (well, Europe and Africa so far). And it somehow manages to paint the broader canvas of the war in way that is historically accurate and interesting. One of the best war series I’ve seen. I hope this will go on long enough to show us the end of the war.

I’d be very surprised if this wasn’t mentioned here before: “World On Fire” on PBS. It weaves engaging personal stories with multiple well developed characters having adventures all over the world during WWII (well, Europe and Africa so far). And it somehow manages to paint the broader canvas of the war in way that is historically accurate and interesting. One of the best war series I’ve seen. I hope this will go on long enough to show us the end of the war.

We loved it as well!

Apparently Season 2 starts in Mid October.

Back
Top Bottom