What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Started watching Manhatten, a series about the Manhatten Project. Pretty good so far.

I’d be very surprised if this wasn’t mentioned here before: “World On Fire” on PBS. It weaves engaging personal stories with multiple well developed characters having adventures all over the world during WWII (well, Europe and Africa so far). And it somehow manages to paint the broader canvas of the war in way that is historically accurate and interesting. One of the best war series I’ve seen. I hope this will go on long enough to show us the end of the war.

New season of World on Fire starts on PBS on October 15, looking forward to it. You can catch up on the first season on PBS Passport. I highly recommend.

Started watching Manhatten, a series about the Manhatten Project. Pretty good so far.

Those people were crazy! :) But seriously, they were real scientists. Something that <Porky comes in and won't let me say today>.

What streaming service?

Growing up in Chicago, I am glad my parents didn't get accidentally nuked. My mom lived a few blocks away from the test pile.

Reference. Chicago Pile-1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Pile-1

Last edited:
AMC+. I think may be available through Hoopla at your local library.
Those people were crazy! :) But seriously, they were real scientists. Something that <Porky comes in and won't let me say today>.

What streaming service?

Growing up in Chicago, I am glad my parents didn't get accidentally nuked. My mom lived a few blocks away from the test pile.

Reference. Chicago Pile-1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Pile-1

Started watching Midnight Texas, good demonic, supernatural entertainment. All the best demons and supernatural cast of characters. We find it quite entertaining.

I've started watching Save My Skin on HBO (Max). It's a documentary / reality show about a dermatology practice. On a gross-out scale of 1 to 10 I'd rank it at about 8.5 so far :sick: . I'll stick with it because IMO human skin is an under-appreciated organ. I did have moderate facial acne as a teenager, which I found embarrassing. Since then, I've had no skin trouble and I'd like to keep it that way.

One of the patients on the show is morbidly obese. Shouldn't a lifestyle discussion be the first thing a medical professional has with such a patient, especially if the patient's symptoms are possibly related to the obesity? Apparently not, because the good doctor just pulled out her pharma toolkit without a lifestyle discussion. Interesting. :popcorn:

Am really enjoying One Step From Heaven on PBS. Set in the Italian Alps, each episode a different crime to solve, engaging and entertaining sub plots. Local police drama, a bit of cowboy flavor with a lot of humor. Main draw for me is the beautiful scenery. Season one is 10 episodes about an hour each. Italian with subtitles.

Laughing out loud at Fisk on Netflix. About a curmudgeonly lawyer. Australian. Use CC. Will appeal to lovers of The Office and Ricky Gervais fans.

Unforgotten returned for a new season on PBS. All episodes are available for Passport members or you can watch OTA on Sundays on PBS stations. The first episode started much like other seasons with the discovery of a body that’s been hidden for years, and with following several apparently unrelated characters. So far, I’m enjoying, although I miss a certain character who will remain unnamed to avoid spoiling things from the previous season.

Also returning were Professor T and Van der Valk. Haven’t watched either yet, but we enjoyed the previous seasons of each and are looking forward to seeing the new seasons.

Started Poker Face, a bit farfetched but is watchable. A girl can tell if people are lying and solves murders.

Also finished Rabbit Hole and hope there is a Season 2.

Just finished (and liked) both Deadloch and Marie Antoinette. Started on Unforgotten, not quite the same (if you know what I mean), but still looks promising. We enjoyed the previous seasons of Van der Valk, so that’ll be next.

Just finished (and liked) both Deadloch and Marie Antoinette. Started on Unforgotten, not quite the same (if you know what I mean), but still looks promising. We enjoyed the previous seasons of Van der Valk, so that’ll be next.

I binged Season 5 of “Unforgotten” and was not disappointed at all.
I look forward to Season 6, which I read somewhere is filming now.

Enjoying Nine Perfect Strangers on Hulu%. It’s Fantasy Island meets Hunter S. Thompson. Nicole Kidman, other great cast members.

It seems like you're knocking off one series after another, even if you don't like them much. You described the previous one as "watchable".

Yeah, pretty much what we do most evenings, we do not like going out at night. We do not watch any during the day though, that is when we are active the most.

Not new, but Pine Gap is very watchable (Nflx) as is Kaleidoscope (I've always liked Giancarlo Esposito since Homicide days, plus there's Rufus Sewell)).

Last edited:
Just finished S1 of The Undeclared War (Peacock), a British v Russia espionage thriller. Excellent story that will keep you engaged. S2 starts filiming next year. 5-stars!

Just finished S1 of Trigger Point (Peacock, 6-epis). This is a british offering about the police explosive ordinance (EXPO) units. They're chasing terrorists in London. Each epi is about 45-min. We have basic Peacock with short (45-60 seconds) commercials every few minutes. Beyond that it's worth a view. I believe S2 is already a go.

We are nearly done with the most recent season of Unforgotten. We love it. It was very bizarre that the same exact thing that happened between the husband and new boss, happened in our daughter’s family. In fact, some some of the script mirrored our conversations. The writing is very good.

Not watching yet, but I added this to my list:

Three-Body Problem based on Cixin Liu’s best-selling novel is coming soon to KCTS 9 Passport! The original Mandarin-language program (with English subtitles) begins streaming September 23.

The sci-fi series kicks off when Wang Miao, one of China’s leading nanomaterials experts, is enlisted by a detective investigating mysterious deaths in the scientific community. During the investigation, Wang Miao encounters a mysterious organization called the Frontiers of Science and learns an unsettling truth.

You can watch the first episode now. All 30 episodes will begin streaming in the U.S. and Canada Saturday, September 23, on KCTS 9 Passport. Watch online or with the World’s Best TV app.

I enjoyed the first two books, the third less so, but I’m looking forward to the series.

Back
Top Bottom